British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What do you hate most? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-do-you-hate-most-701621/)

Bigtaff Jan 21st 2011 4:06 am

What do you hate most?

I've been here just over one year now and have a few niggles about life here but love it all the same.

What ONE thing gets to you the most here?

I spend a lot of time on the road so, for me, it's retards who sit in the same lane for the whole of their journey, driving way too slow for the lane they are in. Generally it's our Indian friends but maybe not every time...... :blink:

Victor Meldrew Jan 21st 2011 5:08 am

Re: What do you hate most?

Ex-pats who lose touch with reality - you know the ones:

Back in UK, they would be quite 'ordinary' and not particularly well paid.

They come to Dubai and find thay can afford a big 4 x 4, a maid, a nice apartment, weekly brunches and holidays to the Far East.

Suddenly they become superior, think they are a cut above and treat lower paid workers like sh1t.

Caveat - not that this applies to anyone on this forum, you're all a great bunch! :thumbsup:

Bigtaff Jan 21st 2011 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9117598)

They come to Dubai and find thay can afford a big 4 x 4, a maid, a nice apartment, weekly brunches and holidays to the Far East.

Suddenly they become superior, think they are a cut above and treat lower paid workers like sh1t.

Caveat - not that this applies to anyone on this forum, you're all a great bunch! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that! I have bought a 4x4 but certainly don't rate myself above anyone I meet and doubt I will ever have a maid unless Children come along and Wifey wants to return to work. Even then it would be a part time one, not a live in.

Victor Meldrew Jan 21st 2011 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 9117601)
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that! I have bought a 4x4 but certainly don't rate myself above anyone I meet and doubt I will ever have a maid unless Children come along and Wifey wants to return to work. Even then it would be a part time one, not a live in.

That's the irony of it. Almost all UK expats here can afford these things, they are the norm. They don't make you any different or better.

The nouveau/sham, posh/rich crowd don't realise it or use this as an excuse to act superior.

Luckily (I think?) they are in the minority. Most people keep their feet on the ground and don't forget where they came from.

MacScot Jan 21st 2011 6:29 am

Taxis that take off before I've put my seatbelt on :(

Bigtaff Jan 21st 2011 6:38 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 9117682)
Taxis that take off before I've put my seatbelt on :(

Crikey!! If that's the worst thing you've encountered in your life here then you're doing OK I reckon!! Crazy fools though, their driving is shocking!

Blue Cat Jan 21st 2011 6:42 am

It has got to be the driving :(

Hello.Kitty Jan 21st 2011 6:43 am

Not being able to trust a word anyone says when I ask them a perfectly reasonable question, such as "when will it be ready?" or "do you have this in stock?" and consequently thinking nasty thoughts about them.

This place has forced me to question my faith in humanity, and to stereotype people by nationality, which I hate to the pit of my stomach.

Spugsy Jan 21st 2011 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 9117532)
I've been here just over one year now and have a few niggles about life here but love it all the same.

What ONE thing gets to you the most here?

I spend a lot of time on the road so, for me, it's retards who sit in the same lane for the whole of their journey, driving way too slow for the lane they are in. Generally it's our Indian friends but maybe not every time...... :blink:

the police

Millhouse Jan 21st 2011 8:13 am

speed bumps and the parking costs at the DIFC.

nothing else bothers me.

al dente Jan 21st 2011 8:17 am

Double standards: "Do as i say not as i do.".

Alexa Jan 21st 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9117697)
Not being able to trust a word anyone says when I ask them a perfectly reasonable question, such as "when will it be ready?" or "do you have this in stock?" and consequently thinking nasty thoughts about them.

This place has forced me to question my faith in humanity, and to stereotype people by nationality, which I hate to the pit of my stomach.

Yes, same here in Doha. It is defo what bothers me most.

co durham boy Jan 21st 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9117613)
That's the irony of it. Almost all UK expats here can afford these things, they are the norm. They don't make you any different or better.

The nouveau/sham, posh/rich crowd don't realise it or use this as an excuse to act superior.

Luckily (I think?) they are in the minority. Most people keep their feet on the ground and don't forget where they came from.

From Cleethorps to Verve Cliquot in one swoop......The worlds biggest social climbers...The Middle East Brit....!

Kelli28 Jan 21st 2011 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9117598)

Those types exist in Aus too, I refer to them as the Benidorm crowd. They think just because they have a 4 bed detached house with a pool and a boat (just like a lot of other people) that they are now somehow far superior to anyone else. :confused: When in actual fact they are all chav's and should be avoided!

Avarice Jan 21st 2011 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9117697)

This is definatlet it for me too, racism is my absolute biggest dislike however i do find myself making immediate assumptions and even dropping the comment and it makes me feel disgusted with myself... thats dubai though...