British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What do you do when... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-do-you-do-when-824818/)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 12th 2014 6:34 am

Re: What do you do when...

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11125634)
The sums would suggest that he will be 4% better off financially, so it would be hard to argue that the change is detrimental. Maybe my maths is off though :lol:

edit to say that perhaps the driving force for the change is coming from the other recruiters who may feel that you have getting something more than them until now.

You're close, playing with numbers it is a 1.9% increase on average invoice if I recalculated all invoices.

The frustrating bit is that it's where I've been most successful, 38% of my invoices generated 56% of total revenue. It's an absolute gold mine and I see absolutely no reason to offer it up so easily.

Your edit is probably on the money. There's only two of us doing it and the other is more senior, holds the cards and has the final say. I seem to give a fair chunk more than I get. I stand to gain 1.9%, he will gain 19-20%.

weasel decentral Feb 12th 2014 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11125677)
You're close, playing with numbers it is a 1.9% increase on average invoice if I recalculated all invoices.

The frustrating bit is that it's where I've been most successful, 38% of my invoices generated 56% of total revenue. It's an absolute gold mine and I see absolutely no reason to offer it up so easily.

Your edit is probably on the money. There's only two of us doing it and the other is more senior, holds the cards and has the final say. I seem to give a fair chunk more than I get. I stand to gain 1.9%, he will gain 19-20%.

I doubt there is much you can do, so either you will have to accept it or silently seethe to yourself at work. Unless your contract has some clearly defined bonus scheme, which they are now in breach of.

Anyhow in this situation I would probably accept it and not let it affect my attitude, but at the same time be planning my exit.
You are probably well placed to get another job easily, and judging by the amount of calls I am getting now the market is rising.

Millhouse Feb 12th 2014 7:00 am

Scamp - life lesson from Millhouse here. Say yes to them, and carry on doing as you were/ want to do -- fight the argument when it needs fighting, you are arguing about a theory now. :D

In every job I have done, I have pretty much worked around 30-50% of my time outside of my department/ department's strategy. There comes a time when they give up trying to stop this.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 12th 2014 7:01 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11125695)
I doubt there is much you can do, so either you will have to accept it or silently seethe to yourself at work. Unless your contract has some clearly defined bonus scheme, which they are now in breach of.

Anyhow in this situation I would probably accept it and not let it affect my attitude, but at the same time be planning my exit.
You are probably well placed to get another job easily, and judging by the amount of calls I am getting now the market is rising.

I think you're right mate. Just had another classic.

Me; they've just said they want to do something that I'm not sure they can.
Boss; just ignore it, say OK and answer the next question.
Someone else more senior: Err, Scamp, you need to re-think that, they can't just do it, why aren't you communicating with 'Boss'?

How to look like a **** in two easy steps.

weasel decentral Feb 12th 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11125701)
In every job I have done, I have pretty much worked around 30-50% of my time outside of my department/ department's strategy. There comes a time when they give up trying to stop this.

Does doing this affect how much they pay you though?

Millhouse Feb 12th 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11125716)
Does doing this affect how much they pay you though?

sometimes - I did miss a promotion once (got it the next year). But that is short-term stuff, you need to think long-term and over the long-term definitely not.

Bahtatboy Feb 12th 2014 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11125701)
Scamp - life lesson from Millhouse here. Say yes to them, and carry on doing as you were/ want to do -- fight the argument when it needs fighting, you are arguing about a theory now. :D

Or get rid of you.

Millhouse Feb 12th 2014 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11125805)
Or get rid of you.

only if you play a bad political game.

Bahtatboy Feb 12th 2014 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11125824)
only if you play a bad political game.

If you're playing substantially outside the dept's game, you need significant support at a level (or levels) about the dept. In my experience even that doesn't help often.

The Dean Feb 13th 2014 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11125702)
I think you're right mate. Just had another classic.

Me; they've just said they want to do something that I'm not sure they can.
Boss; just ignore it, say OK and answer the next question.
Someone else more senior: Err, Scamp, you need to re-think that, they can't just do it, why aren't you communicating with 'Boss'?

How to look like a **** in two easy steps.

I'm glad I'm not in your line of work - when I cannot even begin to understand a simple three-line conversation............

Anyway - there is always someone worse off than you - and at the moment, that's me. I have just had the biggest shafting of my career. That's 35 years...... :frown:

soukie Feb 14th 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11125512)
Is the correct answer whilst sharpening up the CV and rubbing the networking/linkedin genie.

Sounds about right - jump before you are pushed. Always have a plan B in this part of the world ;)

Bahtatboy Feb 14th 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 11128563)
I'm glad I'm not in your line of work - when I cannot even begin to understand a simple three-line conversation............

Anyway - there is always someone worse off than you - and at the moment, that's me. I have just had the biggest shafting of my career. That's 35 years...... :frown:

Must've been a big shaft. Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, as I've witnessed at close hand, shit happens at all levels. Can you give us the bare bones?