British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What to do (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-do-530237/)

pauldxb Apr 18th 2008 10:59 am

What to do

As we speak i am looking out of my window & onto my garden & all i can see is 2 'gardeners' ripping up my garden....let me explain i went to the uk a while back & arranged for a 'landscaping firm' to install a new lighting system in my front & back garden, i returned a week later & i thought great the lights were working & the grass was already re-growing, that was nearly 2/3 weeks ago anyway yesterday i decided to fully inspect their work . OH MY GOD !!!!! The wire & i mean wire with no pipping around it was buried less than a foot under the ground & to make it worse the earth had been cut, i called the boss & in no uncertain terms expressed my grievances hence the reason they are here ripping up my garden & ruining my weekend, i cant believe that there is no government trading standards body in Dubai ! ? The boss is on his way here apart from ripping his head off what can i do ???? Serious suggestions welcomed.....

admon Apr 18th 2008 11:06 am

Re: What to do

Seems a case of 'welcome to the home of quality workmanship'.

In my experience, the only thing you can do in these cases is vote with your wallet, or get something extra to compensate.

Negotiate a reduction of the fee with the company (should be relatively easy if you haven't paid).

If you have already paid you are struggling (the phrase blood out of a stone comes to mind). Would you want this company to do more 'free' work, to make up for the rubbish they have done already?

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6227434)
As we speak i am looking out of my window & onto my garden & all i can see is 2 'gardeners' ripping up my garden....let me explain i went to the uk a while back & arranged for a 'landscaping firm' to install a new lighting system in my front & back garden, i returned a week later & i thought great the lights were working & the grass was already re-growing, that was nearly 2/3 weeks ago anyway yesterday i decided to fully inspect their work . OH MY GOD !!!!! The wire & i mean wire with no pipping around it was buried less than a foot under the ground & to make it worse the earth had been cut, i called the boss & in no uncertain terms expressed my grievances hence the reason they are here ripping up my garden & ruining my weekend, i cant believe that there is no government trading standards body in Dubai ! ? The boss is on his way here apart from ripping his head off what can i do ???? Serious suggestions welcomed.....

threaten then with reporting them to the Economic Department :thumbsup:

Coxy the Bear Apr 18th 2008 12:51 pm

Ask to see all of their labour cards.....

Inselaffen Apr 18th 2008 5:48 pm

I remember an expat (think he was Irish) was killed a few months ago from an exposed wire in his garden.

MissDemeanor Apr 18th 2008 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6229317)
I remember an expat (think he was Irish) was killed a few months ago from an exposed wire in his garden.

You're a bundle of joy arent you!!

Inselaffen Apr 18th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6229667)
You're a bundle of joy arent you!!

always :)

jason4004 Apr 18th 2008 7:40 pm

You always keep a percentage back for work like this - call it a retention for latent defects. Yes it may look complete but as always some paperwork, even a contract always helps. Always go by recomendation, check reference. All this is not possible sometimes then your left with what one can only describe as it's like putting your dxxk in a every hole unprotected at a swingers party thinking everything will be ok. Your screwed!

ScotsExpat Apr 18th 2008 8:36 pm

This phrase 'Swingers Party' appears to crop up quite a lot with you, Jason.... Something you wanna share with your new friends on BE?????

jason4004 Apr 18th 2008 8:39 pm

God help you all when i LAND!

ScotsExpat Apr 18th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6230015)
God help you all when i LAND!

What with all the construction going on, dont know where you are gonna park the spaceship, mate!!!:p

lionheart Apr 19th 2008 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6229317)

If my memory serves me right, it was his irrigation system that electrified him and I believe he was a landscape architect by profession...very worrying.

admon Apr 19th 2008 5:54 am

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6229763)
You always keep a percentage back for work like this - call it a retention for latent defects. Yes it may look complete but as always some paperwork, even a contract always helps. Always go by recomendation, check reference. All this is not possible sometimes then your left with what one can only describe as it's like putting your dxxk in a every hole unprotected at a swingers party thinking everything will be ok. Your screwed!

Ooooh you have an exciting time ahead of you when you get to Dubai..
Paperwork? :rofl:
Contract? :rofl:
recommendation? :rofl:
and the best one, check references :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm only toying with you man. But believe me, this place is about as far removed from 'best practice' as you could ever dream of...