British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What a crock !!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-crock-549496/)

Karlos The Jackal Jul 17th 2008 4:13 am

What a crock !!!!

Scenario - I need Amitriptylene as a migriane preventative !

I visit our resident doctor on site with a UK prescription, he cannot prescribe them but issues a local prescription and makes an appointment at the clinic in Abu Dhabi.

I visit the clinic and after and hour of prodding, poking & breathing in & out the wonderful, good looking female doctor prescribes me 30 pills (I take one per day)

I try 5 local chemists in Kahlidiya, no joy so I eventually settle on trying in the hospital pharmacy and whoppee do, at last I have found them................. trouble is they can only sell me fifteen !

So now once a fortnight I have to drive from Al Raha Beach, down old airport road to visit a clinic for an hour, get a prescription and visit the chemist.

I am all for controlling drugs in the UAE but ffs I need these for migraine its not bloody methadone I am after !

The Dean Jul 17th 2008 5:58 am

Re: What a crock !!!!

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6579373)

I visit our resident doctor on site with a UK prescription, he cannot prescribe them but issues a local prescription and makes an appointment at the clinic in Abu Dhabi.

I visit the clinic and after and hour of prodding, poking & breathing in & out the wonderful, good looking female doctor prescribes me 30 pills (I take one per day)

I try 5 local chemists in Kahlidiya, no joy so I eventually settle on trying in the hospital pharmacy and whoppee do, at last I have found them................. trouble is they can only sell me fifteen !

So now once a fortnight I have to drive from Al Raha Beach, down old airport road to visit a clinic for an hour, get a prescription and visit the chemist.

I am all for controlling drugs in the UAE but ffs I need these for migraine its not bloody methadone I am after !

Count yourself lucky - after my heart surgery the nice man gave me a bottle of pills and told me to "take one every day for the rest of your life"........

......... there were 90 tablets in it...........

MacScot Jul 17th 2008 8:08 am

I used to take Stugeron anti-sea sickness pills. What was funny, though, was the small print on side effects, which contained the warning..."may cause nausea" !

rowell Jul 17th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6579373)

Still have my doctor in the Uk, get my prescription every 2 months, someone in Uk collects, and sends with the prescription.

Karlos The Jackal Jul 17th 2008 12:09 pm

Unfortunately mine are on the 'banned' list over here so I may have trouble doing the same !

Madam Medusa Jul 17th 2008 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6579827)
I used to take Stugeron anti-sea sickness pills. What was funny, though, was the small print on side effects, which contained the warning..."may cause nausea" !

hahahaha, it's like that well known sleep-aid nytol...which has a warning on the side saying "may cause drowsiness"...

MM, xx

Bijilo123 Jul 17th 2008 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6580538)
Unfortunately mine are on the 'banned' list over here so I may have trouble doing the same !

..your doctor is banned???

busybee2 Jul 17th 2008 4:30 pm

if they are on the banned list they can only be purchased from the hospital. A friend of mine once had to pay 200 dhs or so for doc to write out a script for sleeping pills and then go to hospital to pay for the meds, 2 dhs each, so that added to 6 as they would only give them 3 so it was a very expensive piece of paper