Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What to cook for supper?

What to cook for supper?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to cook for supper?

The chocolate pudding looks fantastic. I may even attempt to do it instead of going to Pauls.

Originally Posted by kittycat1
lorna- well you buy it in the supermarket as grated mozarella- ive never analyzed it so assume it is what is says on the bag? Its cheese I know that much!

And yes Tiramisu is traditionally with coffee but its sooo much better with alcohol!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:00 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

lorna- well you buy it in the supermarket as grated mozarella- ive never analyzed it so assume it is what is says on the bag? Its cheese I know that much!

And yes Tiramisu is traditionally with coffee but its sooo much better with alcohol!
so you claim to like good food and are happy to buy grated mozzarella in a bag.......prosecution rests m'lord
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:01 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I might have to try making a Baileys tiramisu as I loathe coffee but love Baileys.

I saw some Baileys on super special offer just before Christmas so I grabbed two bottles. I will check carefully next time because I'd grabbed two bottles of coffee flavoured Baileys
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

serve with cream or vanilla icecream- I had it on my birthday and it was delicious- I couldn't move for quite a while afterwards- I'm gonna make it for Christmas dinner with the family whilst I'm home! The only thing is you need to start making it a couple of days beforehand. But it is worth it! my stomach is rumbling!

Shiva- oh who made you the food police!
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I might have to try making a Baileys tiramisu as I loathe coffee but love Baileys.

I saw some Baileys on super special offer just before Christmas so I grabbed two bottles. I will check carefully next time because I'd grabbed two bottles of coffee flavoured Baileys
I love the coffee Baileys. Shame you aren't here as I'd have gladly taken them off your hands.
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember once reading a feature about this poor woman in South Texas who treated her sons to a McDonald's breakfast every morning. She said she was too busy to cook breakfast.

I was appalled. This woman made a few hundred dollars a week and she was spending ten dollars every morning at McDonalds when she could feed her boys basic non-sugary cereal or scrambled eggs for a total cost of $10 a week? Her boys were already growing fat. No wonder.

Originally Posted by shiva
slightly different but infuriating point, that one really drives me nuts
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:04 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

serve with cream or vanilla icecream- I had it on my birthday and it was delicious- I couldn't move for quite a while afterwards- I'm gonna make it for Christmas dinner with the family whilst I'm home! The only thing is you need to start making it a couple of days beforehand. But it is worth it! my stomach is rumbling!

Shiva- oh who made you the food police!
am self appointed today,
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:05 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I remember once reading a feature about this poor woman in South Texas who treated her sons to a McDonald's breakfast every morning. She said she was too busy to cook breakfast.

I was appalled. This woman made a few hundred dollars a week and she was spending ten dollars every morning at McDonalds when she could feed her boys basic non-sugary cereal or scrambled eggs for a total cost of $10 a week? Her boys were already growing fat. No wonder.
probably took longer to get the kids in the car and drive them there than it would have to have made an omlette, bacon and eggs etc etc at home

****tards
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I love the coffee Baileys. Shame you aren't here as I'd have gladly taken them off your hands.
If I were there I'd gladly give the two bottles to you. I'm going to end up offering it away to dinner guests and friends anyway and watch them drink what was supposed to be my stash.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:58 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy's Curry Recipe:

Serves 4 (depending on degree of hunger)
4 large white onions, finely chopped
2-10 cloves of garlic, crushed
8 medium toms, as ripe as possible (or 3 tins plum toms)
Spices
Chillies, dried or fresh.
Good cooking oil, about 4 tbps
Meat (chicken thighs are good, on the bone), about 1 - 1.5kg

In a really large pan, heat the oil, fry the garlic till nearly golden, then add the onion and cook over a medium heat till really soft. This can take up to half an hour, and is the secret to getting a lot of sauce. Stir frequently to avoid the onions catching on the pan. If its getting too dry, add more oil (don't worry, its good for you--just don't use olive oil).

Add the spices. I usually go for about 3-4 tsps of curry powder, 1-2 tsps of cumin, 10 or so cardamon pods, some parprika and anything else which takes my fancy. Keep stirring for a minute or so till its a thick, sticky mess.

Add the meat and keep it moving till its browned on the outside. Again, you may need more oil.

Add the toms, and mix everything together. You may need to add some water at this stage, but be careful no to add too much because the toms will release water as they mulch down. Add the chillis--6 dried ones will make it fairly hot.

Bring to the boil, stirring frequently, then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for at least half an hour, or longer if it needs to reduce. Check the consistency frequently so see if you need to add water, or to increase the cooking time to reduce it (ie make it thicker).

About 10 minutes before its ready, add garam masala (I buy it "whole", then use my grinder to grind it to a smooth powder). A teaspoonful or two should do, but taste to check. Adjust the flavour with salt and pepper to your liking.

This is a staple for me out here: its healthy, easy to prepare, great to keep, and full of fresh ingredients and I know everything that's gone into it.

Enjoy
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Fondue Savoyade

Comte, Beaufort, Emmenthal, White Wine, Kirsch and a Baggette...Doesnt get any easier and tastier than that....Salopettes optional
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

A lovely dip is get a load of guacamole (prebought)
nooooo...the prebought guacamole has to be the most disgusting thing in the world, i'm not even convinced it contains avocado, lol...it's sooooo easy to make, and home made is delicious...

nigella has a great recipe called rockamole, where you mix it with roquefort and jalapenos...very easy, and very yummy...

MM, xx
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:48 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
nooooo...the prebought guacamole has to be the most disgusting thing in the world, i'm not even convinced it contains avocado, lol...it's sooooo easy to make, and home made is delicious...

nigella has a great recipe called rockamole, where you mix it with roquefort and jalapenos...very easy, and very yummy...

MM, xx
I agree...it's like eating a facemask, not that I ever did that but arrghhhhhh...
the only problem is to get ripe avocados, normally they are rock hard here and you'll have to wait for days before you can use them!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I agree...it's like eating a facemask, not that I ever did that but arrghhhhhh...
the only problem is to get ripe avocados, normally they are rock hard here and you'll have to wait for days before you can use them!
Was told last week that if you put them in the microwave they ripen. Dunno for how long, but I've got a tray of 6 in the fridge at the moment so I might experiment this evening.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:53 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Was told last week that if you put them in the microwave they ripen. Dunno for how long, but I've got a tray of 6 in the fridge at the moment so I might experiment this evening.
oh, I would never keep them in the fridge, think that would keep them from ripening? I vaguely remember that you can put them in a bag with some other fruit, but of course can't remember which fruit...or even if it was a tip for avocados or something else...otherwise I am doing just fine with the old memory thing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.