Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What to cook for supper?

What to cook for supper?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to cook for supper?

To make a long story short, I have been roped into hosting a dinner party in my apartment this weekend and I also, in a brief moment of shining optimism, promised something home cooked.

Lovely.

Any suggestions for something that can serve six and can be put together quickly? I've got the booze end covered as I did a Barracuda run over the weekend so there's good German beer and French wine on hand.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What to cook for supper?

Originally Posted by Ethos83
To make a long story short, I have been roped into hosting a dinner party in my apartment this weekend and I also, in a brief moment of shining optimism, promised something home cooked.

Lovely.

Any suggestions for something that can serve six and can be put together quickly? I've got the booze end covered as I did a Barracuda run over the weekend so there's good German beer and French wine on hand.
I find that curries are about the easiest to make in big batches. You can even make it a lot earlier (say in the morning) then reheat in the pan making it looked like you've just cooked it.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:05 am
Account Closed

How do you make curry?

Can it be done with less than five ingredients, including salt and pepper?

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I find that curries are about the easiest to make in big batches. You can even make it a lot earlier (say in the morning) then reheat in the pan making it looked like you've just cooked it.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

How do you make curry?

If you are really lazy you could always use sauce from a jar. Add chicken and serve with rice.

As the weather is so cold why not make a simple casserole and serve with french bread? Then follow with a dessert bought from Paul's.

I take it you don't cook much Ethos/Tarquin?

Last edited by Meow; Jan 19th 2011 at 7:15 am.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:13 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

I've cooked this many a time - very, very easy.

Also "of the region"

I used lamb instead of beef.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/b...es/beef-tagine
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

This will sound typical coming from me but, pasta is quick and easy and cheap. So is risotto. I can pass on any number of easy recipes.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:16 am
Account Closed

I nix the curry because we all eat take away Indian quite often. Something different to justify the effort would be nice.

I don't cook much. I know how to heat up the frozen pizza from Carrefour or boil some tortellini and I can slice cheese and spread pate on good bread from Eric Keyser as well as the next person. But I do like good food. I don't eat crap.

A casserole is a good idea. But what casserole? My American grandma's standby was to mix a can of cream of X soup with rice and diced chicken and pour in half a bottle of sherry and bake it. Wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted by Meow
If you are really lazy you could always use sauce from a jar. Add chicken and serve with rice.

As the weather is so cold why not make a simple casserole and serve with french bread? Then follow with a desert bought from Paul's.

I take it you don't cook much Ethos/Tarquin?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Could be possible. Do the recipes call for massive quantities of proper reg-parm?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
This will sound typical coming from me but, pasta is quick and easy and cheap. So is risotto. I can pass on any number of easy recipes.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I nix the curry because we all eat take away Indian quite often. Something different to justify the effort would be nice.

I don't cook much. I know how to heat up the frozen pizza from Carrefour or boil some tortellini and I can slice cheese and spread pate on good bread from Eric Keyser as well as the next person. But I do like good food. I don't eat crap.

A casserole is a good idea. But what casserole? My American grandma's standby was to mix a can of cream of X soup with rice and diced chicken and pour in half a bottle of sherry and bake it. Wasn't too bad.

Beef in red wine? Add onions, garlic, celery etc. Make the day before as the flavour will intensify as it stands.

Time to learn how to cook a few dishes. Also a good way to impress girlfriends.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you make curry?

I've cooked this one a couple of times recently and is really nice, worked just aswell with Chicken as it did with the Lamb. I'd throw a couple of red peppers in 3-4 minutes after the onions go in. One pan for the cooking, so very little dishes!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9...pan-rogan-josh
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:21 am
Account Closed

16 bloody ingredients!

What do you use for the Ras el hanout?

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I've cooked this many a time - very, very easy.

Also "of the region"

I used lamb instead of beef.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/b...es/beef-tagine
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Could be possible. Do the recipes call for massive quantities of proper reg-parm?
No, a handful of mature cheddar or any other fairly strong cheese would work just as well in a mushroom or a leek risotto and not all pasta sauces are served with cheese - especially fishy ones.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Shoot me your fave recipe if you can. I'm up for anything new as long as it doesn't involve a lot of chopping and stirring.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
No, a handful of mature cheddar or any other fairly strong cheese would work just as well in a mushroom or a leek risotto and not all pasta sauces are served with cheese - especially fishy ones.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:27 am
Account Closed

How about sauerbrauten? I had some first rate sauerbrauten in Germany last summer. Is it complex to make?

Originally Posted by Meow
Beef in red wine? Add onions, garlic, celery etc. Make the day before as the flavour will intensify as it stands.

Time to learn how to cook a few dishes. Also a good way to impress girlfriends.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:29 am
Bored liberal

How about sauerbrauten? I had some first rate sauerbrauten in Germany last summer. Is it complex to make?
Not really, but the meat needs to marinate for at least two days beforehand.

Here's an easy recipe for you.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/b...eef-ale-stew-1

Heaven knows why I'm being so helpful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.