Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What is British culture?

What is British culture?

Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:49 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is British culture?

Originally Posted by Scamp
I miss those two things the most.
You can get The Sunday Times here, or the International version at least which basically gives you the best bits. Or read the UK versions on a iPad. next best thing; in fact better as no paper to get rid of afterwards.

Once the weather cools, you'll find plenty of places where you can sit outside and drink. Some are quite pleasant as well.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
You can get The Sunday Times here, or the International version at least which basically gives you the best bits. Or read the UK versions on a iPad. next best thing; in fact better as no paper to get rid of afterwards.

Once the weather cools, you'll find plenty of places where you can sit outside and drink. Some are quite pleasant as well.
Haven't managed to convince myself I need an iPad yet. When I do try it won't take much but have come here to save, not be a muppet. Sorely tempted though.

I like the way everytime someone suggests somewhere you have to check if it's nice or not.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

The pub. An institution like no other. I sorely miss lazy days in this particular pub during my stint in Huddersfield. 18 hand pulled ales on constant rotation, 200+ different beers on bottle, and numerous European beers on draught. Probably the best den of inequity I ever visited, beer wise. The snack menu was equally as impressive.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:01 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F4HAKG9tKh.../Grove+inn.jpg

The pub. An institution like no other. I sorely miss lazy days in this particular pub during my stint in Huddersfield. 18 hand pulled ales on constant rotation, 200+ different beers on bottle, and numerous European beers on draught. Probably the best den of inequity I ever visited, beer wise. The snack menu was equally as impressive.
Interesting. I liken The Cellar (before it warms up) in Abu Dhabi to a traditional pub on a wet Wednesday afternoon in 'uddersfield, although obviously not The Grove. Wish The Cellar had that array of beer (and snacks), although I'll bet The Celler wins hands down in degrees of iniquity.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I know plenty of people in the UK who would explain how they feel like this because of the cultural and later financial destruction wrought by the English, particularly those from the South-East.
Don't get this - please explain?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:41 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Don't get this - please explain?
Just as it says. There are several groups in the UK who would claim the English have tried to diminish their local culture. Who complain they no longer hear their own language in the streets because it has been replaced by English.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Just as it says. There are several groups in the UK who would claim the English have tried to diminish their local culture. Who complain they no longer hear their own language in the streets because it has been replaced by English.
Why do you say the South East in particular?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

The Welsh have been trying to save their language from going extinct due to dominance of English.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:55 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you say the South East in particular?
Because most of the cultural superiority shown by the English has its roots in London and the Home Counties. Ask the Cornish.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The Welsh have been trying to save their language from going extinct due to dominance of English.
Quite so...
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
well they have been doing that for quite a few years now, and it's great...one of the girls i worked with had welsh as her first language, as did her boyfriend...i think it's really important as it would be a tragedy if the language died...

MM, xx
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ask the Cornish.
Rather not associate with such riff-raff - I'll just style my centre-parting, have another Pimms and see how Quentin and Jemima are doing at today's 'Rich vs Richer' polo match.

I come from the South East don't you know.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Rather not associate with such riff-raff - I'll just style my centre-parting, have another Pimms and see how Quentin and Jemima are doing at today's 'Rich vs Richer' polo match.

Unbelievable isn't it, we give the rest of the country electricity and the wheel. What does one get in return? Insolence.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:20 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_F4HAKG9tKh.../Grove+inn.jpg

18 hand pulled Ales? This sounds like heaven...is it still there?

N.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:27 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Unbelievable isn't it, we give the rest of the country electricity and the wheel. What does one get in return? Insolence.
Haha..in all seriousness though I see no major difference in the various regions of England in terms of who is more English than the others. It's most class and accents, we are all equally annoying, arrogant and complain too much. That said the people in the North and West tend to be friendlier in my own experience...and I am a southerner.

Quite right about the dominance over the Welsh, Scots, Irish etc...but we've seen official attempts to reverse that or at least make the older languages of the British Isles available to people who live in those parts and want to learn them which is fantastic. If we ever had a written constitution I'd definitely support a clause stating English is the language of government and commerce but all the Gaelic languages are also officially recognised and should be taught in school in the Celtic parts and perhaps be options for schools in England too...there's plenty of Celtic/Saxon mix people who are interested in that sort of thing.

N.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:34 am
Not an evil hypnotist

I guessed

I'm not saying all of the South East is like that. I did live in London for a while

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.