British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What? Another car thread? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-another-car-thread-903230/)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2017 10:36 am

Re: What? Another car thread?

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12342211)
what's wrong with that?
As an eg if the car is up for say AED 150k, and you know in your mind you will accept 140k...then when the dude rings and starts haggling over the phone, you just tell him straight out that you will not accept below 140k and hence not to waste his or your time in coming and then trying to get it below 140k - that's my point.

Why not say the lowest is 145k?
Why not put it on for 160 and say you'll take 150?

Anyway.

Just had the first scam. Offered me paypal transfer after trusting me that there isn't any rust. Told me he was honest and a man of God. Told him to rot in hell. :nod:

Taz786 Sep 20th 2017 10:51 am

I'm shocked how many people have responded to this thread. I started something similar a few months ago and nearly everyone through a hissy fit. And most of those have responded numerous times on this thread. Tbf, i'm just jealous how much attention Scamp receives.

The haggling/negotiations is enjoyable. Good luck selling your car.

Dubaiexile Sep 20th 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Taz786 (Post 12342262)
I'm shocked how many people have responded to this thread. I started something similar a few months ago and nearly everyone through a hissy fit. And most of those have responded numerous times on this thread. Tbf, i'm just jealous how much attention Scamp receives.

Do you wear corduroys????

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Taz786 (Post 12342262)

Don't be jealous. Most people have just taken the piss anyway or judged or pretended to be more impressive than they are.

I'm still undecided on used or new but if the old car sells soon I'll buy whatever is available that day. :thumbup:

IKnowNothing Sep 20th 2017 11:23 am

Found a car for you scampy me old mukka

It's Yellow

"Urgent Sale" means he'd take 100k for it...

Taz786 Sep 20th 2017 11:43 am

lol don't wear them. Is that my downfall :(

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12342303)
Found a car for you scampy me old mukka

It's Yellow

"Urgent Sale" means he'd take 100k for it...

Probably about the right price. :wub:

Millhouse Sep 20th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12342281)
Don't be jealous. Most people have just taken the piss anyway or judged or pretended to be more impressive than they are.

I'm still undecided on used or new but if the old car sells soon I'll buy whatever is available that day. :thumbup:

I reckon I'm close to selling the FJ. Seems the top is around 55k. So 103->55k in 4.5 years. Not awful, certainly getting more than the deposit back

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12342324)
I reckon I'm close to selling the FJ. Seems the top is around 55k. So 103->55k in 4.5 years. Not awful, certainly getting more than the deposit back

Awesome.
I'm not that close to selling other than knowing I can dump for 15k.
Lots of people offering 17-19k off the bat.
I'll give it time then drop the price and accept something close to 20k.
Deposit was 18k and Daddy paid it. As long as I get that or more out of it, it's not been bad.

Millhouse Sep 20th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12342336)
Awesome.
I'm not that close to selling other than knowing I can dump for 15k.
Lots of people offering 17-19k off the bat.
I'll give it time then drop the price and accept something close to 20k.
Deposit was 18k and Daddy paid it. As long as I get that or more out of it, it's not been bad.

I've had several 45ks, a few 50s, and a 52k all unseen. A 55k (seen) and another 55k unseen.

I reckon it will go for 55k to the guy who actually drove it :lol:

DXBtoDOH Sep 20th 2017 12:39 pm

Scamp, let's have some fun for us geeks.

How much did you pay for the car.

Your monthly payment.

How many months did you make payments.

Average annual costs for servicing/repairs

Cost of all big ticket expenses and repairs.

Millhouse Sep 20th 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12342374)

Your monthly payment.

My FJ:

purchase 103k
services - 15k (10)
tyres - 2k (1 set)
insurance 10k (4.5 years)
interest on loan 5k
less resale: 55
all in cost: 77k
4.5 years
1,400dh / month

I couldn't rent anything similar for double that. In that period, I had a car I enjoyed rather than hating myself every time I got into a leased yaris.

Similar for the 370z put it at around 2.5k a month. I forecast that the jeep will be around 1.2k a month, 1.6k if it's worth nothing in 4 years time. It's an older car, however.

DXBtoDOH Sep 20th 2017 1:06 pm

That's 77,000 you won't be seeing back anytime soon ;)

No, in all seriousness, you did reasonably well.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12342387)
My FJ:

purchase 103k
services - 15k (10)
tyres - 2k (1 set)
insurance 10k (4.5 years)
interest on loan 5k
less resale: 55
all in cost: 77k
4.5 years
1,400dh / month

I couldn't rent anything similar for double that. In that period, I had a car I enjoyed rather than hating myself every time I got into a leased yaris.

Similar for the 370z put it at around 2.5k a month. I forecast that the jeep will be around 1.2k a month, 1.6k if it's worth nothing in 4 years time. It's an older car, however.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12342350)
I've had several 45ks, a few 50s, and a 52k all unseen. A 55k (seen) and another 55k unseen.

I reckon it will go for 55k to the guy who actually drove it :lol:

Guess it's about patience.
I also think these things are about trusting your gut. If the person in front of you seems genuine and wants it and is offering the right money then it's the holy grail.
I'd rather my car, which definitely doesn't have a name, went to a decent human instead of a ****.

Millhouse Sep 20th 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12342405)
That's 77,000 you won't be seeing back anytime soon ;)

No, in all seriousness, you did reasonably well.

of if I had rented a similar car (4k a month), it would be around 160k. Or rent a hate-yourself-car and spent 108k.

Or I could have ubered, paid around 50dh a day and spent around 70k over the period - of course, petrol is mine.

Transport costs money. Work out how much you have spent on smelly cars over the years, in my opinion owning cars is cheap here.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12342374)

Your monthly payment.

Cost 80,000
Daddy Deposit -16,000
Scamp Cost - 64,000
Monthly - 1,500 (roughly)
48 months = 72,000
Tyres x8 = 6,000
Services = 15,000 probably.
Insurance = 12,500 probably

Cost = 105,500
Had the car for 5yrs 8months (68mths)
= 1,551 per month. Assuming I get nothing for it.

Now subtract 18,000 selling price.

= 87,500 / 68mths = 1,287 Monthly cost.

I'm impressed. I thought it was going to be more than that but I guess the year++ that I haven't been paying the repayments has brought the average down. That and the deposit being covered.

DXBtoDOH Sep 20th 2017 1:39 pm

Alternatively, you could have rented a POS for as low as 1200 a month and it'd probably have also been more fuel efficient, saving you additional money.

Or even better, rent a flat within walking distance of the office and not bother with car ownership (or take the metro for similar reasons).

Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12342413)
of if I had rented a similar car (4k a month), it would be around 160k. Or rent a hate-yourself-car and spent 108k.

Or I could have ubered, paid around 50dh a day and spent around 70k over the period - of course, petrol is mine.

Transport costs money. Work out how much you have spent on smelly cars over the years, in my opinion owning cars is cheap here.

Millhouse Sep 20th 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12342437)
Alternatively, you could have rented a POS for as low as 1200 a month and it'd probably have also been more fuel efficient, saving you additional money.

Or even better, rent a flat within walking distance of the office and not bother with car ownership (or take the metro for similar reasons).

Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.

Wouldnt rent a POS as i have self respect. Also the PSO wouldn't have taken me to the dunes of liwa or the waddis of Oman in quite the same way.

I could never walk to work as mental seperation is key. Not withstanding that the rent differential would pay for a car several times over.

ExpatAl Sep 24th 2017 8:00 am

Thoughts on the Jags here? Seem fantastic value, went to the showroom yesterday and had heaps of them kicking around the 100k mark with low mileage...

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 24th 2017 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12342437)

Alternatively, you could wear charity shop clothes, never go on holiday, travel back to the UK with Fly Dubai via Kiev and live in shared accommodation in Ruwais. Everyone buys things and does things that they might like / enjoy.

You are judging, comparing people to your standards / styles / thoughts. :huh:

DXBtoDOH Sep 24th 2017 8:24 am

I have owned an Audi A4 and Prius in the past.;)

I thought I made it clear I wasn't judging - just pointing out the alternatives in a teasing way. May I remind you once more of what I said, to quote: Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12345077)
Alternatively, you could wear charity shop clothes, never go on holiday, travel back to the UK with Fly Dubai via Kiev and live in shared accommodation in Ruwais. Everyone buys things and does things that they might like / enjoy.

You are judging, comparing people to your standards / styles / thoughts. :huh:

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 24th 2017 9:19 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12345083)
I have owned an Audi A4 and Prius in the past.;)

I thought I made it clear I wasn't judging - just pointing out the alternatives in a teasing way. May I remind you once more of what I said, to quote: Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.

A Prius, I should have guessed. ;)

It sounded very judgmental, but I wonder what % of people see their car as a status symbol / aspiration / something to enjoy for themselves etc and therefore are willing for it to be a large cost....or.....those who see it as a totally arbitrary choice and just a method of transport.

DXBtoDOH Sep 24th 2017 9:27 am

It was my brief period as an eco-conscious London wanker.

Thank god I grew out of it pretty quickly but it did leave me stuck with the worst car ever made for a few years. Never again.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12345114)
A Prius, I should have guessed. ;)

It sounded very judgmental, but I wonder what % of people see their car as a status symbol / aspiration / something to enjoy for themselves etc and therefore are willing for it to be a large cost....or.....those who see it as a totally arbitrary choice and just a method of transport.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 24th 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12345119)
It was my brief period as an eco-conscious London wanker.

Thank god I grew out of it pretty quickly but it did leave me stuck with the worst car ever made for a few years. Never again.

Did it make the congestion charge free?

My Granny had a Prius for a few years. Great idea for people like her, five mins to the shops, the odd 30min drive here or there, no tax costs etc.

mission Sep 24th 2017 9:57 am

ma'an i got effing stung on Wed - had to have all four of my tyres replaced.... apparently the tyres should have been changed at 30,000km.......mine had got to do 54k! Beemer were going to charge me 10k to have them replaced....i went around the corner and got them done for 4,400...still not sure if that was reasonable or whether i got done.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 24th 2017 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12345136)
ma'an i got effing stung on Wed - had to have all four of my tyres replaced.... apparently the tyres should have been changed at 30,000km.......mine had got to do 54k! Beemer were going to charge me 10k to have them replaced....i went around the corner and got them done for 4,400...still not sure if that was reasonable or whether i got done.

What make of tyre did you buy?
Do you know how old they are / when they were made?

Seeing as you've got a BMW, 4,400 doesn't seem too bad, assuming they're fairly low profile / on big rims etc.

TheShed Sep 24th 2017 9:59 am

Mrs Shed used to have a Beemer with run flat tires. Great safety idea but goodness they were expensive to replace.

DXBtoDOH Sep 24th 2017 10:01 am

That was a bonus.

I mostly used it to drive to my parents on the weekends. I rarely used it within London. On the motorway it's terrible and the acceleration makes the Lancer look like a Ferrari. It was just a stupid car for me to buy for a variety of reasons.

Mind you the resale was fabulous.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12345123)
Did it make the congestion charge free?

My Granny had a Prius for a few years. Great idea for people like her, five mins to the shops, the odd 30min drive here or there, no tax costs etc.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 24th 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12345138)
Mrs Shed used to have a Beemer with run flat tires. Great safety idea but goodness they were expensive to replace.

So I've heard. Not sure they're worth it....just hang on and slow down if you have a blow out. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12345140)
That was a bonus.

I mostly used it to drive to my parents on the weekends. I rarely used it within London. On the motorway it's terrible and the acceleration makes the Lancer look like a Ferrari. It was just a stupid car for me to buy for a variety of reasons.

Mind you the resale was fabulous.

Saw a Tesla on SZR at the weekend, they look sick. Would love to test drive one.

mission Sep 24th 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12345137)
What make of tyre did you buy?
Do you know how old they are / when they were made?

Seeing as you've got a BMW, 4,400 doesn't seem too bad, assuming they're fairly low profile / on big rims etc.

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12345138)

I brought the car brand new (Sep 2015) and hence had not replaced the tyres since i got the car - the replacements were exactly the same brand of tyre.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 24th 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12345148)
I brought the car brand new (Sep 2015) and hence had not replaced the tyres since i got the car - the replacements were exactly the same brand of tyre.

4400 is probably pretty good. :thumbup:

mission Sep 24th 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12345150)
4400 is probably pretty good. :thumbup:

thank you :)

Dubaiexile Sep 24th 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12345151)
thank you :)

Well done Mission, a decision made without backup, debate, dithering or dallying, your nearly ready for the outside world!!

IKnowNothing Sep 24th 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12345200)
Well done Mission, a decision made without backup, debate, dithering or dallying, your nearly ready for the outside world!!

"Nearly" being the operative word. :rofl:

mission Sep 24th 2017 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12345200)

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12345217)
"Nearly" being the operative word. :rofl:

sod off the pair of you ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dubaiexile Sep 24th 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12345219)
sod off the pair of you ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

Al I have to say is 2000 !!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::eek::eek:

Pongo Sep 25th 2017 5:52 am

Free Salik, parking and charging for e-cars in Dubai on the way.

mission Sep 25th 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12345221)
Al I have to say is 2000 !!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::eek::eek:

shaddup! :lol:

mission Oct 9th 2017 9:41 am

what do you guys reckon to this

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/us...YWdlbnQ9&pos=7
although the spec is European

Millhouse Oct 9th 2017 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12356891)
what do you guys reckon to this

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/us...YWdlbnQ9&pos=7
although the spec is European

I like it - seats in the back for the kids.