British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What 4x4 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-4x4-554500/)

andyjock Aug 11th 2008 4:30 am

What 4x4

Collected my driving licence last night so now the car buying can commence.

My budget is about 110k

have been looking at the following:

Nissan Xterra SE

Pajero SWB 3.0

Jeep Cherokee Sport

Ford Explorer

Anyone got any opinions or reccomendations?

Robbies Aug 11th 2008 5:11 am

Re: What 4x4

There is an advert on a notice board at my work for a Nissan Armada for about 120k I think... I can get the details for you at lunch if you fancy... Its a bitty bigger than the ones you listed though!!

andyjock Aug 11th 2008 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6667632)
There is an advert on a notice board at my work for a Nissan Armada for about 120k I think... I can get the details for you at lunch if you fancy... Its a bitty bigger than the ones you listed though!!

I tried to persuade the wife to begin with about the armada but she said there is no chance she wants to drive something that big!!

But would you mind PMing me the details about it... is that in Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Welivehere Aug 11th 2008 6:08 am

Originally Posted by andyjock (Post 6667640)
I tried to persuade the wife to begin with about the armada but she said there is no chance she wants to drive something that big!!

But would you mind PMing me the details about it... is that in Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Andy,

Depends what you want. Do you want something that will go proper off road or just a big SUV for tootling round town in?

Shiva would be a good bet to pm. He's fairly clued up on the pro's / cons of most 4x4's.....

andyjock Aug 11th 2008 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 6667692)
Andy,

Depends what you want. Do you want something that will go proper off road or just a big SUV for tootling round town in?

Shiva would be a good bet to pm. He's fairly clued up on the pro's / cons of most 4x4's.....

For work I am based out at Al Raha Beach and have a site office that I need 4x4 access to get to easily and I am interested in the idea of being able to do some proper off roading at the weekends when it cools down a bit!

Welivehere Aug 11th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by andyjock (Post 6667697)
I am interested in the idea of being able to do some proper off roading at the weekends when it cools down a bit!

My recommendation would be look at second hand Cruisers, Patrols, Pajeros, Wranglers, then...

but with the caveat I am no expert.... :)

Charismatic Aug 11th 2008 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 6667753)
My recommendation would be look at second hand Land Cruisers, Patrols

:thumbup: I've never driven a Nissan Patrol actually but the UN use them so they are probably pretty tough.

Edit: And the Land Cruiser is a favorite of off-road enthusiasts.

pauldxb Aug 11th 2008 7:19 am

Originally Posted by andyjock (Post 6667590)

My budget is about 110k

Nissan Xterra SE

Pajero SWB 3.0

Jeep Cherokee Sport

Ford Explorer

A friend of mine has got an explorer & ive gotta say it quite nice, value for money anyway

andyjock Aug 11th 2008 7:23 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6667804)
A friend of mine has got an explorer & ive gotta say it quite nice, value for money anyway

Ye you can get the explorer for 105k I think and the Xterra SE for 109k was 117k a few months ago.

shiva Aug 11th 2008 7:40 am

My budget is about 110k

Nissan Xterra SE ok on road, ok off road, some really like it, i hated it. has plenty of fans though and gets great reviews. Horrible interior. however its a nisasan so it will never break.

Pajero SWB 3.0 great 4x4's that offer the best value for your money in the market, landcruisers, prados and nissan patrols are better but you pay for it. very capable offroad but if you get into it you will end up replacing the bumpers and suspension, acceptable on road ie its a 4x4 dont expect cornering like a car

Jeep Cherokee Sport capable on and off road, bit less room than the others but not by much. its a jeep so if you take it offroad often expect things to break, easy and cheap to replace though. again if you get into offroading you'll end up upgrading the suspension

Ford Explorer i hate these however its a perfectly ok car on road, dont even think of going offroad in it unless its along site tracks and to the beach.

test drive each as they all drive quite differently. I'd also consider second hand for that budget, ie 1- 2 yrs old, for that you'll get a 3.8 lwb pajero, LWB Nissan and lwb toyota prado if you go a bit older you'll also get a landcruiser.

if i could only choose from the ones above i'd choose the pajero or if forced the xterra.

check out www.dubai4x4.com and www.me4x4.com for some very long debates over which 4x4 to choose

shiva Aug 11th 2008 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6667802)
:thumbup: I've never driven a Nissan Patrol actually but the UN use them so they are probably pretty tough.

Edit: And the Land Cruiser is a favorite of off-road enthusiasts.

patrols are the toughest 4x4 you can buy.....period. closely followed by the land cruiser. Theres a reason all the locals drive patrols and cruisers.

I'm biased though as I drive a 26yr old Nissan patrol, its got over 350,000 km on it and i have yet to replace anything on it or have any problems at all......now thats reliability

shiva Aug 11th 2008 7:45 am

Originally Posted by andyjock (Post 6667812)
Ye you can get the explorer for 105k I think and the Xterra SE for 109k was 117k a few months ago.

yup DSS is on so there are some good deals at the moment

Charismatic Aug 11th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6667853)
patrols are the toughest 4x4 you can buy.....period. closely followed by the land cruiser. Theres a reason all the locals drive patrols and cruisers.

I'm biased though as I drive a 26yr old Nissan patrol, its got over 350,000 km on it and i have yet to replace anything on it or have any problems at all......now thats reliability

With all that sand and heat? Epic! :thumbsup: You should probably consider changing the oil filter at some point though :lol:.

pauldxb Aug 11th 2008 9:01 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6667853)

WOW !

MacScot Aug 11th 2008 9:08 am

My budget is about 110k

Nissan Xterra SE

Pajero SWB 3.0

Jeep Cherokee Sport

Ford Explorer

Toyota Prado.. absolutely no probs and very reliable. Get one with the extras, leather seats, sunroof etc.