British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Westminster Attack (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/westminster-attack-894270/)

Irishbeekeeper Mar 22nd 2017 6:04 pm

Westminster Attack

My salute to the brave Police Officer who took on the attacker and paid the ultimate price. May he always Rest In Peace.
My heart goes out to the families of all those affected. May they find the strength to carry on through this very difficult time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39355940

Bob Mar 22nd 2017 6:07 pm

Re: Westminster Attack

Bonkers isn't it.

Had a school mate who was over there covering a story and said the cops were amazing.

TheShed Mar 26th 2017 7:00 am

And fair play to the British public. for one hour after the attack, it was the top trend on Twitter, 1:05 after the attack, problems with the Tube were back top of the list with Londoners. We're a resilient lot and these B@57@7ds won't get us down.

Millhouse Mar 26th 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12213212)
And fair play to the British public. for one hour after the attack, it was the top trend on Twitter, 1:05 after the attack, problems with the Tube were back top of the list with Londoners. We're a resilient lot and these B@57@7ds won't get us down.

selfish assholes. :lol:

ExpatAl Mar 27th 2017 8:58 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12213212)

Without trying to sound cynical, I think there have been so many terrorist attacks recently that we are slowly becoming desensitized to what is going on...

mission Mar 27th 2017 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ExpatAl (Post 12213939)
Without trying to sound cynical, I think there have been so many terrorist attacks recently that we are slowly becoming desensitized to what is going on...

to be honest i don't even flinch anymore when i hear about these kind of attacks, unless the number of fatalities is more than a few hundred

DXBtoDOH Mar 27th 2017 9:57 am

I agree. That's why I didn't post earlier.

I don't want to be, you know, cynical, and I know it's horrendous what happened and the tragedies of the lost lives and their families. :(

But it's become such a regular event that we check the news each morning half expecting to hear of another terror attack.

I'm afraid that the reverse twist is that since only truly large attacks are now capable of terrorising people, the terrorists will double down and aim for bigger events. :(

Originally Posted by ExpatAl (Post 12213939)

Millhouse Mar 27th 2017 11:52 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12213990)
I'm afraid that the reverse twist is that since only truly large attacks are now capable of terrorising people, the terrorists will double down and aim for bigger events. :(

don't agree with that.

small scale ones are very effective - they are massively overplayed in the media, wind up the racists perfectly and create the dividing that is needed, all without being difficult to plan or easy to intercept. I reckon we will see loads of small scale non-technical ones than the big ones of years gone by.

ExpatAl Mar 27th 2017 11:55 am

The large scale attacks have a higher chance of being discovered and stopped. Stopping someone mounting the pavement with a vehicle and/or attacking people with weapons is pretty hard to predict/prevent.

Inselaffen Mar 28th 2017 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12214090)
don't agree with that.

small scale ones are very effective - they are massively overplayed in the media, wind up the racists perfectly and create the dividing that is needed, all without being difficult to plan or easy to intercept. I reckon we will see loads of small scale non-technical ones than the big ones of years gone by.

4 people murdered within sight of parliament. hardly being massively overplayed in the media. also it winds up a large section of society not just racists. Also should point out that Islam is not a race.