Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Westlands Nairobi, terrorist shooting

Westlands Nairobi, terrorist shooting

Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:52 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westlands Nairobi, terrorist shooting

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Jasim
Bingo!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:54 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Can I recommend a certain amount of caution? A friend of mine did something similar in Doha. The Qatari 's sent him a congrational message...and asked him to return his liquor permit....
It will never be produced here. It is purely for her home country (Not Lebanon Saudiflares) so the marriage and I am recognised there. Should I manage to pass the *Exam* that is.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

There is one of the reasons why I cannot respect this religion. You have to change your faith to marry one of them, but if they changed their faith to marry you it would be a crime and one punishable by death in some countries.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:33 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Again, what a crock....

Yes you get nutters who convert and carry on being nutters as you describe, yes you get religious types who convert as they fancy a bit of exotic imaginary friend and yes you get some who convert and become believers BUT you also get a shed load who convert because its a barrier in their way and stopping them getting wed.

I nearly converted for a bird when I was in Uni. We went out for 5 years and it was looking like the best option. Would have changed from the Atheist I was/am into a Jihadi baddy? I think not.
There are different reasons for converting for sure.

I think that specifically those who convert due to a sincere belief and the desire to gain acceptance and approval from a partner (who has fundamentalist views) will tend to follow the path of armed jihad or at least support and condone those views.

I have a friend here who converted to marry a Morrocan, who has hardly changed one bit. They both drink, named their child something non-Arabic and are generally decent, upstanding folk who retain friendships and community.

I knew a girl in college who came from a broken home who was a fairly typical English lass in all other respects. Then she started dating a Pakistani descent Muslim chap and the last we saw of her she was fully veiled and telling us we were going to hell for having bacon sandwiches, not hating Jews (no really, she said this) and drinking booze.

So it all depends on the type of convert and what kind of Islam they go into. Muslims may claim there is only one Islam but clearly there are many interpretations and levels of practise going on out there. For some the idea of killing people simply for being a different religion isn't so bad and for others any kind of violence is utterly abhorrent.

N.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:35 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Isa?
Isa is an Arabic pronunciation of a Greek pronunciation of a Hebrew/Aramaic title/name.

Ibrahim's not Arabic either. No more than Peter, Paul and John are English anyway.

N.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Wow. Can Christians not marry Muslims in Lebanon (is it right country?) then?
In every school of Islamic thought non-Muslim men cannot marry Muslim women - most Islamic states uphold this as law.

Muslim men can marry Christians and Jews though.

What most Christians don't know is that Christianity forbids marrying non-Christians regardless of gender. Well, that's the idea in the bible anyway - not that Christians follow that

N.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76
It will never be produced here. It is purely for her home country (Not Lebanon Saudiflares) so the marriage and I am recognised there. Should I manage to pass the *Exam* that is.
Will you have to mutilate your genitals too or is it just the name change?

N.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
There is one of the reasons why I cannot respect this religion. You have to change your faith to marry one of them, but if they changed their faith to marry you it would be a crime and one punishable by death in some countries.
It's a bit more than a religion. It's cultural imperialism to one degree or another.

If I convert to Christianity I don't have to change my diet, name or learn another language to truly understand the message of Christ.

Judaism would require that but it's a tribal belief not a religion that claims universal messages for mankind. No need to convert to be 'righteous'.

Anyway Odin promised to rid the world of Frost Giants...and there are no Frost Giants today I can assume Odin's message is true. What's nice about Odin is that he would probably laugh if he read that...I'd probably get some grief in Valhalla though.

N.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:07 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I have to convert next week for our marriage to be recognised in her home country and we can buy property etc. Is it going to change me one little bit? Is it ****. I chose my Muslim name because it means big/huge and is pretty similar to my real name.
It was easy to do here, just went to the family court and reiterated what they said to me (in Arabic), gave me a book and that was it. They also said that I should continue to use all my UK documents too.

I'm now called Kamal, so I guess I can get a/the hump more often...
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:53 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
It was easy to do here, just went to the family court and reiterated what they said to me (in Arabic), gave me a book and that was it. They also said that I should continue to use all my UK documents too.

I'm now called Kamal, so I guess I can get a/the hump more often...
I have to say 3 verses, one the shahada you would of done - then two others. What made you choose Kamal out of interest?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:56 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Will you have to mutilate your genitals too or is it just the name change?

N.
Not even an official name change required. A piece of paper in Arabic that will be used once or twice in my lifetime. Genitals stay the same though probably a little less active than before.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:02 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I have to say 3 verses, one the shahada you would of done - then two others. What made you choose Kamal out of interest?
I didn't, she did!

As you say in your next post, it doesn't matter to us.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:21 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
I didn't, she did!

As you say in your next post, it doesn't matter to us.
I wanted Jihad so I sounded hard but she poo poo'd it.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Get well soon, my thoughts are with you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-injuries.html
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Britexpat's "home country" ?? Could it be Afghanistan ? I hope so !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.