Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Westlands Nairobi, terrorist shooting

Westlands Nairobi, terrorist shooting

Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westlands Nairobi, terrorist shooting

Originally Posted by Scamp
A few of us went for a beer last night and wanted to know how you're getting on Typical?

Are you back in the UK?
I was also thinking of Typical yesterday, but didn't want to bombard him with a DM, hope you are well
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:31 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Wotcha.

Yeah, I'm back in the UK. Had the reconstructive shoulder surgery a few weeks ago, and it's now settled down almost enough to start physio. I've got very little movement in it and some nasty scars, but they're saying positive things and I've got drugs.

Emotionally, I wish I knew - there are good and bad days. Grief counselling helps. I miss working but I nap throughout the day and the drugs don't help with concentration.

Miss all you guys. Hope to drop by before long. Anyone back in the UK over Christmas who fancies a coffee, drop me a line.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by typical
Wotcha.

Yeah, I'm back in the UK. Had the reconstructive shoulder surgery a few weeks ago, and it's now settled down almost enough to start physio. I've got very little movement in it and some nasty scars, but they're saying positive things and I've got drugs.

Emotionally, I wish I knew - there are good and bad days. Grief counselling helps. I miss working but I nap throughout the day and the drugs don't help with concentration.

Miss all you guys. Hope to drop by before long. Anyone back in the UK over Christmas who fancies a coffee, drop me a line.
Glad to hear you're sounding positive. Drugs are good.

Keep strong, keep your head up, scars are cool (let's be honest) in the long term. Get that physio work going and you'll be back where you need to be in no time.

I can't imagine the pain and grief you've been through and deal with, but I'm sure you have the friends and family you need to keep each day moving. Afternoon naps will help and counseling is almost definitely better than bottling stuff up, I'm sure.

Where in the UK are you? Would love to buy you a beer.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Wotcha.

Thanks for the update, such good news to hear you're doing well in the circumstances and that the grief counselling is helping. When do you think you'll be able to go back to work? How long do you envisage the phsycial recuperation taking?

Hope you've got plenty of decent people around to keep you entertained. BTW Plants vs Zombies is an excellent time filler..
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:12 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Had the reconstructive shoulder surgery a few weeks ago, and it's now settled down almost enough to start physio. I've got very little movement in it and some nasty scars
Just promise you won't punch out the physio with your good arm like I almost did the first time they tried to move the bad arm?! The pain of "breaking" the stiffness was awful, but the mental relief of actually being able to move & use that arm again was awesome.

You'll get there. Usual cliches, hang on in there (unintentional pun, sorry) and you will get there. You will. The grief will be there, it always will be, as a dull pain, and the sharp pain bursts will always occur; but eventually you will find yourself not liking the pain of loss & grief, but accepting it, and managing it.

Take care.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:05 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. Really appreciate the thoughts! Just to respond to a few bits:

Originally Posted by Scamp
Where in the UK are you? Would love to buy you a beer.
I'm staying in the East Midlands. Jaunting down to London fairly regularly too though. Can't wait to be able to rent a car, but a bit of a way off that yet.

Originally Posted by al dente
When do you think you'll be able to go back to work? How long do you envisage the phsycial recuperation taking?

Hope you've got plenty of decent people around to keep you entertained. BTW Plants vs Zombies is an excellent time filler..
I'm aiming to start working mid-Jan but only an hour or two per week, just to give a bit of structure and keep up with what's going on. I doubt I'll make it full time before March, and possibly not until the summer. Depends a lot on the intensity of physio and how many painkillers I need to stay on! Physio will be between 6 and 12 months worth.

Am on PvZ 2 already

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Just promise you won't punch out the physio with your good arm like I almost did the first time they tried to move the bad arm?! The pain of "breaking" the stiffness was awful, but the mental relief of actually being able to move & use that arm again was awesome.
Haha, I'll do my best! I'm suffering a bit because a) the muscles have atrophied quite badly and b) the arm was badly broken too, so there's going to be a lot of stretching and then rebuilding before I am getting decent movement. Can't wait for it to work again, though.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I'm staying in the East Midlands. Jaunting down to London fairly regularly too though. Can't wait to be able to rent a car, but a bit of a way off that yet.

I'm aiming to start working mid-Jan but only an hour or two per week, just to give a bit of structure and keep up with what's going on. I doubt I'll make it full time before March, and possibly not until the summer. Depends a lot on the intensity of physio and how many painkillers I need to stay on! Physio will be between 6 and 12 months worth.

Am on PvZ 2 already

Haha, I'll do my best! I'm suffering a bit because a) the muscles have atrophied quite badly and b) the arm was badly broken too, so there's going to be a lot of stretching and then rebuilding before I am getting decent movement. Can't wait for it to work again, though.
You're keeping your wits about you anyway, just make sure you never get started on CandyCrush. I've seen grown men weep at around evel 217..
Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You're keeping your wits about you anyway, just make sure you never get started on CandyCrush. I've seen grown men weep at around evel 217..
I've been on level 97 for weeks. I have given up on it now - time to go cold turkey and delete it.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've been on level 97 for weeks. I have given up on it now - time to go cold turkey and delete it.
Stuck somewhere around 210 I think. It's getting deleted.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:37 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Meh....I looked PVZ2 up in Mims!
Makes me a f***wit
X
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Am on PvZ 2 already

great to hear you are on the mend, its a tough time of year for you and Olejanx, take care x
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the verdict on what happened...well, sort of...some interesting points emerge.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Securit...p/-/index.html
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:37 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Hello you lot. I find myself heading back (at short notice) to Dubai for Thursday and the weekend.

Drop me a line if anyone fancies coffee - have one night out planned and probably can't do more boozing than that, sorry.

Also, hoping to clear out my storage unit, so if anyone knows anyone who'd like to buy a "flat in a box" (bed, TV, fridge, kitchen stuff, all that jazz) let me know.

Finally, I'm guessing my UAE driving licence isn't valid without residency, so I'll be stuck with taxi and metro... is that right? Sigh.

Last edited by typical; Feb 26th 2014 at 10:43 am.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Hello you lot. I find myself heading back (at short notice) to Dubai for Thursday and the weekend.

Drop me a line if anyone fancies coffee - have one night out planned and probably can't do more than that, sorry.

Also, hoping to clear out my storage unit, so if anyone knows anyone who'd like to buy a "flat in a box" (bed, TV, fridge, kitchen stuff, all that jazz) let me know.

Finally, I'm guessing my UAE driving licence isn't valid without residency, so I'll be stuck with taxi and metro... is that right? Sigh.
Good to hear from you.

I'm out and about this weekend, so if you're night out is Friday and you're in Bur Dubai then I'll buy you beer.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Typical, you can hire a hire car with your (UK?) license, but otherwise no you shouldn't drive a UAE car.

Maybe seeing if there's a flea market on in Mirdif or Safa on Friday would be an option? Good luck & all the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.