Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Western Imperialism to Blame or....

Western Imperialism to Blame or....

Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Western Imperialism to Blame or....

been reading a lot of niall ferguson lately, gotta say a couple of things

1)he's a dead man walking, nobody nowadays can be this close to the truth and not be a target
2)he's spot on most of the time, his series on the ascent of money and book was superb and his new stuff on civilization and the west is cracking but it is going to earn him a fatwah.

worth loking out for his stuff for a read/watch if you have time
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Western Imperialism to Blame or....

full episode, thx youtube
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Add in the fact that he is dating/living with Ayaan Hirsi Ali and he has to be a target. She's had a fatwa on her for years.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:54 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Meow
Add in the fact that he is dating/living with Ayaan Hirsi Ali and he has to be a target. She's had a fatwa on her for years.
agreed, shes one very brave/stupid woman.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
agreed, shes one very brave/stupid woman.
Quite. I can never decide which it is.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Quite. I can never decide which it is.
Brave.

Like Ferguson.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:42 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

He's interesting but not saying anything new to me...we can expect the usual accusations of Islamaphobia, racism and whatever else they are calling the uncomfortable truth these days.

N.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
He's interesting but not saying anything new to me...we can expect the usual accusations of Islamaphobia, racism and whatever else they are calling the uncomfortable truth these days.

N.
I don't quite understand why they are doing it...in the end, they are the losers.Why don't they WANT things to get better? All very odd...have given up trying to figure it out. Can't be arsed anymore.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

@dean, been thinking and i agree, it is bravery. a stupid, bold non self preservational bravery.

@norm agreed on most of it there are details i dont know which is always nice and its also very nice to see a high profile figure saying these things who isnt a member of some fanatical right wing protest group but a respected scholar
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:08 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
@dean, been thinking and i agree, it is bravery. a stupid, bold non self preservational bravery.

@norm agreed on most of it there are details i dont know which is always nice and its also very nice to see a high profile figure saying these things who isnt a member of some fanatical right wing protest group but a respected scholar
This is actually the problem with most western countries today - the middle classes are silent. Anything that threatens to rock the boat is brushed under the carpet and their heads are put back in the sand even as their cities burn around them (Paris riots, no-go areas, Malmo in Sweden, recent riots in Lampedusa, etc etc). What's worse is how they will even shoot down their own for speaking out - even if they speak in an academic and/or reasonable context.

So the working classes, seeing no one taking up their legitimate concerns form groups like the EDL, which no matter how well meaning become magnets for extremists and hooligans. And parties like the BNP can lap up support while all this is going on because no one has the balls in the West to differentiate national/culture pride and preservation with actual racism and bigotry.

Couple this with the false doctrine of cultural relativity we are taught from birth these days and it's a recipe for trouble.

N.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Anything that threatens to rock the boat is brushed under the carpet and their heads are put back in the sand...
Have you been on the metaphor juice, Norm?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Have you been on the metaphor juice, Norm?
It was a deliberate choice of words...the only juice I've been on is fermented however

N.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:50 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Western Imperialism to Blame or....

Good videos Shiva.

Using religion to clutch power can only be a short term strategy. As long as the middle east continues to dabble in real advancement (both political and scientific/technology) rather than actually dealing with these problems the oil clock is ticking down.

The great thing about human ingenuity is that it's the well that never runs dry.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:14 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting stuff. I wonder what people think about the future they talked about. If the West is indeed in sharp decline, who is going to fill the void? Also begs the question, who would we prefer to fill it?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Interesting stuff. I wonder what people think about the future they talked about. If the West is indeed in sharp decline, who is going to fill the void? Also begs the question, who would we prefer to fill it?
I'd rather see it's decline than it filled with the sheer ignorance I've seen around the world in my travels...China, Japan & Korea excluded I just don't think there are any comparable civillisations in the world - then again I'm not a cultural relativist or a multi-culturalist so I'm going to say that

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.