We're moving...

Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're moving...

I am all for broadening one's cultural horizons.

But your son is reaching an age when he is going to become very interested in people of a persuasion that involves makeup, handbags, breasts, you get the idea. I am assuming, of course, that he's not interested in chasing after an arsehole.

When women start entering the picture, friendships can start to change, rapidly. No matter how good a friend your son may be to the Emiratis, he will never be allowed to spend too much time with their sisters. The Emiratis probably won't be allowed by their families to spend too much time with Western girls.

He's off to uni in two years? Don't let him stay here to go to a third tier toilet branch university of a mediocre British uni. Send him back to Holland where he can chase as many tails as he wants.

Originally Posted by MataHari
but I am not complaining

he is 16...not sure why it would not be good for him to spend too much time with locals...he shares a hobby with them, he is an excellent quadbiker and he is a respected member of the group. We know all the guys and they aren't the bling bling types, they are just enthousiastic about their sport and they enjoy seeing our son doing his thing with them. The fact that he is the only non Emirati has never bothered anyone, and it's not like he thinks he's Emirati?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:43 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I am all for broadening one's cultural horizons.

But your son is reaching an age when he is going to become very interested in people of a persuasion that involves makeup, handbags, breasts, you get the idea. I am assuming, of course, that he's not interested in chasing after an arsehole.

When women start entering the picture, friendships can start to change, rapidly. No matter how good a friend your son may be to the Emiratis, he will never be allowed to spend too much time with their sisters. The Emiratis probably won't be allowed by their families to spend too much time with Western girls.

He's off to uni in two years? Don't let him stay here to go to a third tier toilet branch university of a mediocre British uni. Send him back to Holland where he can chase as many tails as he wants.
he's already got a girlfriend...
anyway...when he's not quadbiking he's got another set of friend he goes out with...and another crowd from school...so really, there is nothing to worry about as far as I am concerned.

he's not going to uni, as he's not an academic type kid...but that's a whole other story.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

he's already got a girlfriend...
anyway...when he's not quadbiking he's got another set of friend he goes out with...and another crowd from school...so really, there is nothing to worry about as far as I am concerned.

he's not going to uni, as he's not an academic type kid...but that's a whole other story.
Sounds like you got yourself a Grade-A 3rd Culture Kid on your hands, there.

The very best people in the world, IMHO.....

But what's he gonna do when you leave Dubai?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:28 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Sounds like you got yourself a Grade-A 3rd Culture Kid on your hands, there.

The very best people in the world, IMHO.....

But what's he gonna do when you leave Dubai?
Sounds to me like he's got a top life - wish I was quad biking all the time in the dunes when I was 16...

What happens though when he hits 18 if he's not going the Uni route - you'll not be able to sponsor him...
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:34 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Sounds to me like he's got a top life - wish I was quad biking all the time in the dunes when I was 16...

What happens though when he hits 18 if he's not going the Uni route - you'll not be able to sponsor him...
oh he's got a great life, lol...

we are in close communication with the school about all this, working out what the next step will be...cause he's a technical hands on type of guy we are looking at vocational (if that is the right term?) education, there is something in Sharjah that seems to fit his needs. And as he will still be in full time education over there, there is no issue with the sponsorship.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same dilemma in Abu Dhabi..living in a nice, quiet area, but the same old..Son wants the villa.

We both know its a lie and the LL can get at least 100,000 more than what we are paying.

MH, if you really like living were you are, could you not send your LL a letter maybe offering more money for a new 3 year contract...never under estimate the greed of an Arab.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this where a mother's love turns her blind?

Europe has the best damn vocational schools and training facilities in the world. Forget anything that the UAE can offer. How's he going to market himself to prospective employers with a diploma or certificate from some unknown outfit in Sharjah?

Plus what will he do when he's finished with his course? Work in Dubai? Doing what? 99% of the vocational work here is done by cheap labour imported from India and Pakistan who also have MBAs and JDs and MAs and engineering degrees. Even the useless Brit estate agents out here during the boom had some type of university degree.

If your beloved kiddie is not the academic type guy who can't even sleep, lie and cheat his way through a mediocre university in the Netherlands, what makes you think he can get an expat job out here that will allow him to live a decent life?

Do the right thing and kick him back to the Netherlands. This country isn't the place for a westerner with only vocational training. The Netherlands has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe at the moment, and if your boy applies himself he'll make the connections and skills that can lead to fruitful employment, and highly skilled vocational occupations are in high demand in Europe, with good wages and benefits. Not like out here, not at all.

oh he's got a great life, lol...

we are in close communication with the school about all this, working out what the next step will be...cause he's a technical hands on type of guy we are looking at vocational (if that is the right term?) education, there is something in Sharjah that seems to fit his needs. And as he will still be in full time education over there, there is no issue with the sponsorship.

Last edited by Ethos83; Dec 14th 2009 at 1:41 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your son anyway? It isn't the best idea to let him spend too much time with the locals. He's not an Emirati and he never will be and this will become more apparent the older he gets.

what an absolutely idiotic thing to say. her son lives in the uae and you are suggesting he keeps his distance away from the very people that are from this country?

it is attitude like yours that makes this "us versus them" attitude between expats and locals worse.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

MH..Regarding Ethos.... Ignore him..remember my motto
"Never explain or deny"
I am with you re the AR/meadows etc..I would hate to live there, I like living in a large independent villa in Al Barsha and would not want to move elsewhere.
Something will turn up Darling xxx
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:29 am
hmmmm...nice

ARRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

literally NO ONE calls back or even picks up their phone...some adds give 4 different contact numbers and none of them are being answered...
Dubizzle...what a nightmare, none of the ads I have emailed have replied and again, no one even answers their phones, and these are all ads that have been put up over the last couple of days...why put it up if you are not available to answer enquiries?

ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Is this where a mother's love turns her blind?

Europe has the best damn vocational schools and training facilities in the world. Forget anything that the UAE can offer. How's he going to market himself to prospective employers with a diploma or certificate from some unknown outfit in Sharjah?

Plus what will he do when he's finished with his course? Work in Dubai? Doing what? 99% of the vocational work here is done by cheap labour imported from India and Pakistan who also have MBAs and JDs and MAs and engineering degrees. Even the useless Brit estate agents out here during the boom had some type of university degree.

If your beloved kiddie is not the academic type guy who can't even sleep, lie and cheat his way through a mediocre university in the Netherlands, what makes you think he can get an expat job out here that will allow him to live a decent life?

Do the right thing and kick him back to the Netherlands. This country isn't the place for a westerner with only vocational training. The Netherlands has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe at the moment, and if your boy applies himself he'll make the connections and skills that can lead to fruitful employment, and highly skilled vocational occupations are in high demand in Europe, with good wages and benefits. Not like out here, not at all.

dullard you are .. but you have a few good points there .....
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:06 am
hmmmm...nice

well...managed to find us a nice little place, moving on Jan 1...
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:18 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats...but moving Jan 1? Didn't know that day existed; 31st straight through to 2nd!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:21 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Roadking
Congrats...but moving Jan 1? Didn't know that day existed; 31st straight through to 2nd!
apart from last year...
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it's little Well done on finding somewhere so quickly & good luck with the move.

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.