British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   We're moving... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/were-moving-644040/)

shakh your bootie Dec 12th 2009 5:30 pm

Re: We're moving...

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8167357)
what's wrong with trying to keep life moving on as smooth as possible for everybody...sure, if we can't find anything we will move somewhere else...but if I can avoid a big upheavel, great...
I now sort of feel like I have to defend the fact that I would like for us to be able to continue living the way we are now...which is a bit weird?

Oh, don't feel like you have to defend anything on account of what a meandering old windbag like myself says!

I was merely musing on the picture you painted of your kids with their friends, routines and the places they like to hang out - made me somewhat reminiscent of my childhood in Kuwait.

Do you imagine that your kids will choose to live in Holland, or will they long for the familiarity of the environment in which they grew up?

The Dean Dec 12th 2009 6:01 pm

MH appears to have ignored the legal questions I asked..................

shakh your bootie Dec 12th 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8167432)
MH appears to have ignored the legal questions I asked..................

She tends to ignore you period, shag.

TGFKASE Dec 12th 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8167437)
She tends to ignore you period, shag.

Good point, well put....

Ethos83 Dec 12th 2009 7:24 pm

I am a dullard?

MataHari, no one is criticising you for wanting to stay in Mirdiff, but you made it clear that the kind of villa you want isn't available in Mirdiff at the moment. If you want a largish, roomy villa you may have to move from Mirdiff.

The masterplanned communities can be sterile in the eyes of some people, and if you want a neighbourhood with personality in that there is a variety of housing types including larger villas, I will say Jumeirah and Umm Suqeim are two good places. I can walk to the beaches, there are plenty of local schwama shops and it does feel like a proper expat experience rather than a mock American suburb, plus it's convenient to everywhere in Dubai, except Mirdiff.

If you do want to stay in your end of the woods, stop complaining and either accept a compound villa or look at Al Warqaa.

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8167286)
Just stop annoying the dullard

shakh your bootie Dec 12th 2009 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8167558)
I am a dullard?

MataHari, no one is criticising you for wanting to stay in Mirdiff, but you made it clear that the kind of villa you want isn't available in Mirdiff at the moment. If you want a largish, roomy villa you may have to move from Mirdiff.

The masterplanned communities can be sterile in the eyes of some people, and if you want a neighbourhood with personality in that there is a variety of housing types including larger villas, I will say Jumeirah and Umm Suqeim are two good places. I can walk to the beaches, there are plenty of local schwama shops and it does feel like a proper expat experience rather than a mock American suburb, plus it's convenient to everywhere in Dubai, except Mirdiff.

If you do want to stay in your end of the woods, stop complaining and either accept a compound villa or look at Al Warqaa.

It is not for me to judge whether you are a dullard or no.

However, in the Hadith Shareef (the second greatest authority for a Muslim after the Qu'raan Al-Kareem) it is said that the Pro Mo (PBUH) uttered these words:

"Never try to reason with a Woman. Or a child. Your efforts will be equally futile."

Just a word to the wise, old chap.......

Ray Dec 12th 2009 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8167595)
"Never try to reason with a Woman. Or a child. Your efforts will be equally futile."

Now! he was a smart bastard .....

shakh your bootie Dec 12th 2009 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8167845)
Now! he was a smart bastard .....

Damn right. Ain't no place for no pussy-whipped reconstructed males in this godalmighty forum, brudda.......

{BTW- ain't you ol' dinosaur overdue for a heartattack??? Just something I heard on them there jungledrums, I hope u unnerstsan...}

bevinva Dec 12th 2009 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8167924)
Damn right. Ain't no place for no pussy-whipped reconstructed males in this godalmighty forum, brudda.......

{BTW- ain't you ol' dinosaur overdue for a heartattack??? Just something I heard on them there jungledrums, I hope u unnerstsan...}

**** off!

shakh your bootie Dec 12th 2009 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 8167975)
**** off!

Well, I'd try and reason with ya, sweetheart. But it's clearly pointless.

Ray Dec 13th 2009 2:13 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8167924)

i have had two so far and beat them ...although the next one will get me they say ...

MataHari Dec 13th 2009 3:08 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8167373)
Oh, don't feel like you have to defend anything on account of what a meandering old windbag like myself says!

I was merely musing on the picture you painted of your kids with their friends, routines and the places they like to hang out - made me somewhat reminiscent of my childhood in Kuwait.

Do you imagine that your kids will choose to live in Holland, or will they long for the familiarity of the environment in which they grew up?

in some ways I think moving away 'properly' to a completely different country is easier, cause then it's a clear break and everything is going to change, while moving just a few miles is harder cause then you are still sort of close to everything like it was, but just not close enough for things to stay the same...if that makes any sense, lol...

think my oldest will stay here in Dubai, he's completely into the whole Arab lifestyle, his friends are mostely locals and he just fits in so to speak, he has never expressed any desire to move back to Holland, or even visit Holland.
The middle one likes it here but I don't think he will stay here, he'd love to move to the US, lol...and my daughter is still young, she doesn't remember living in Holland though, so where she will end up I have no idea...

MataHari Dec 13th 2009 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8167558)
I am a dullard?

but I am not complaining? I am merely saying what it is I am looking for, and what it is that I don't like...

Just to give you an example...one son is a quadbiker and part of a local group of guys that go into the desert every weekend, during the holidays etc, they leave at 3 am in the morning, drive all night, come back at 10 am, go to bed for a few hours and leave again around 4 pm till 10 pm...now, if we would live in Jumeirah or Umm Sequim, it would mean that one of us has to take the trailer to drive him over here, and to pick him up again, which would mean we could never go out during the weekend etc cause we'd have to be driving him. Now, he just goes out on his own. My husband travels as well, so if I am on my own, and my other son isn't home, it would mean I would have to wake up my daughter in the middle of the night, take her with me as well to drop my son off with his bike etc etc...all a big hassle that we can do without. So moving away from this area would have quite an impact on the way our family live their lives.

Ethos83 Dec 13th 2009 4:12 am

So quit complaining and take a damn compound villa.

How old is your son anyway? It isn't the best idea to let him spend too much time with the locals. He's not an Emirati and he never will be and this will become more apparent the older he gets.

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8168315)
but I am not complaining? I am merely saying what it is I am looking for, and what it is that I don't like...

Just to give you an example...one son is a quadbiker and part of a local group of guys that go into the desert every weekend, during the holidays etc, they leave at 3 am in the morning, drive all night, come back at 10 am, go to bed for a few hours and leave again around 4 pm till 10 pm...now, if we would live in Jumeirah or Umm Sequim, it would mean that one of us has to take the trailer to drive him over here, and to pick him up again, which would mean we could never go out during the weekend etc cause we'd have to be driving him. Now, he just goes out on his own. My husband travels as well, so if I am on my own, and my other son isn't home, it would mean I would have to wake up my daughter in the middle of the night, take her with me as well to drop my son off with his bike etc etc...all a big hassle that we can do without. So moving away from this area would have quite an impact on the way our family live their lives.

MataHari Dec 13th 2009 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8168384)
So quit complaining and take a damn compound villa.

How old is your son anyway? It isn't the best idea to let him spend too much time with the locals. He's not an Emirati and he never will be and this will become more apparent the older he gets.

but I am not complaining :confused:

he is 16...not sure why it would not be good for him to spend too much time with locals...he shares a hobby with them, he is an excellent quadbiker and he is a respected member of the group. We know all the guys and they aren't the bling bling types, they are just enthousiastic about their sport and they enjoy seeing our son doing his thing with them. The fact that he is the only non Emirati has never bothered anyone, and it's not like he thinks he's Emirati?