British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   We're moving... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/were-moving-644040/)

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 3:54 pm

Re: We're moving...

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8167218)
If you don't have a maid who cleans all your bathrooms?

I wouldn't have a big villa without someone to clean it, especially as it gets so dusty in Dubai.

I completely grasped why you want to stay in Mirdiff, but like a lot of people in Dubai you are going to have to make a painful choice when it comes to real estate.

Option 1: Compound villa in Mirdiff.

Option 2: Big villa not in Mirdiff.

You have a nice budget and that gives you a lot of choices should you move from Mirdiff. A roomy Saheel at Arabian Ranches? Right by the desert. Can't imagine it would take long to get to Mirdiff for the school run. A villa near the beaches in Jumeirah? A place in the Meadows? Plenty of kids in the Meadows. There are pros and cons to everywhere and if you must stick with a big villa and it means leaving Mirdiff, start having fun exploring the possibilities of other areas.

thanks for all those suggestions...but that's just not for us, places like AR, the Meadows etc...I'd rather die to be honest, lol.
I am sure that somehow I'll find a place that will suit us in the area we like to be in...

Ray Dec 12th 2009 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8167236)
thanks for all those suggestions...but that's just not for us, places like AR, the Meadows etc...I'd rather die to be honest, lol.
I am sure that somehow I'll find a place that will suit us in the area we like to be in...

Move to Miami ... then you could stand on the roof and wave to me ..

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 4:04 pm

1 Attachment(s)
anyway, for those that do like this type of thing, the new Shoorq (?) development in Mirdif isn't bad, 4 bedroom villas for 155,000 dhs...

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8167253)
Move to Miami ... then you could stand on the roof and wave to me ..

there was talk about that at one point, being moved to Miami...but it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon...maybe not in your lifetime

Bob Dec 12th 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8167258)
there was talk about that at one point, being moved to Miami...but it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon...maybe not in your lifetime

so your planning on moving over pretty soon then? :lol:

bevinva Dec 12th 2009 4:17 pm

Be careful he has been known to rise from the dead.

Ethos83 Dec 12th 2009 4:20 pm

It annoys me when people say things like that.

It doesn't matter which community you live in. People are the same everywhere. Lots of Brits, a bunch of other Europeans, lots of Indians and lots of other Middle Easterners. The only difference are the housing and local amenities.

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8167236)

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8167270)
so your planning on moving over pretty soon then? :lol:

yeah, couple of weeks...at the most!

Ray Dec 12th 2009 4:23 pm

I was hoping to see christmas out ..

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8167277)
It annoys me when people say things like that.

It doesn't matter which community you live in. People are the same everywhere. Lots of Brits, a bunch of other Europeans, lots of Indians and lots of other Middle Easterners. The only difference are the housing and local amenities.

yeah well, every family is different, and everybody has different needs...and we just don't happen to like those massive developments, we never chose to live like that back home, and we won't here unless we have no other option...it's nothing to do with the people that live there, it's more about wanting privacy, liking a house that has a bit of character, being able to do what we like without disturbing the neighbours...for me having a house that I like being in and I feel 'at home' in is very important.

Ray Dec 12th 2009 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8167284)
yeah well, every family is different, and everybody has different needs...and we just don't happen to like those massive developments, we never chose to live like that back home, and we won't here unless we have no other option...it's nothing to do with the people that live there, it's more about wanting privacy, liking a house that has a bit of character, being able to do what we like without disturbing the neighbours...for me having a house that I like being in and I feel 'at home' in is very important.

Just stop annoying the dullard

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8167286)
Just stop annoying the dullard

lol...bad for your heart is it...

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 8167273)
Be careful he has been known to rise from the dead.

ah yes...those were the days

shakh your bootie Dec 12th 2009 4:50 pm

Is it only me, or does anyone else find it a little incongruous that - having moved the bambinos several thousand miles from Europe to Dubai - our lady of the massacre is worried about the effects on their young psyches from moving them from Midriff to Wakakakaka??

I'm sure the young fellas are made of sterner stuff.

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8167318)
Is it only me, or does anyone else find it a little incongruous that - having moved the bambinos several thousand miles from Europe to Dubai - our lady of the massacre is worried about the effects on their young psyches from moving them from Midriff to Wakakakaka??

I'm sure the young fellas are made of sterner stuff.

what's wrong with trying to keep life moving on as smooth as possible for everybody...sure, if we can't find anything we will move somewhere else...but if I can avoid a big upheavel, great...
I now sort of feel like I have to defend the fact that I would like for us to be able to continue living the way we are now...which is a bit weird?