British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   We're moving... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/were-moving-644040/)

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 7:50 am

We're moving...

just heard we have to move out of our villa...as the brother of the owner is going to move into it, yeah yeah yeah...

anyway, I will be househunting as of today, but just in case anybody hears or sees anything in Mirdif (so not in Mizhar or Al Warqa), it needs to be an independent villa, 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, large outside area and a pool.

I am actually quite excited, lol...

TGFKASE Dec 9th 2009 8:01 am

Re: We're moving...

So, you are remaining in Mirdif?

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 8:09 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8158410)
So, you are remaining in Mirdif?

yes, if possible...the kids school is here, all their friends live in this area, and for my son it's easy access to the desert with his quadbike, mr MH works just across the Business Bay brigde...and like I've said before, the planes have never bothered us, been here 5 years now and I'd really hate to move to another area...

Meow Dec 9th 2009 8:33 am

Good luck in finding somewhere suitable quickly. Traipsing around a load of horrid overpriced places is no fun.

-

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8158499)
Good luck in finding somewhere suitable quickly. Traipsing around a load of horrid overpriced places is no fun.

-

oh I know...it won't be easy to find a place, most are compounds, it will be hard to find a villa...am having a look the various websites now...why oh why do all those houses have such horrid horrid lighting fixtures...and what's with the wrought iron bannisters...and those dark 'wood' kitchens...arrgghhhhhhh

shiva Dec 9th 2009 8:56 am

been looking around mirdif myself recently and there are shedloads available, try dubizzle saw a 5 bed for 120 on there the other day

there ya go
http://dubai.dubizzle.com/property-f...-equipped-kit/

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8158545)
been looking around mirdif myself recently and there are shedloads available, try dubizzle saw a 5 bed for 120 on there the other day

there ya go

I know, but they are mostely on compounds, which just isn't what I want...I like my privacy when I am sitting outside, hate the whole open space around a pool thing, and with the cars and the quadbikes, the massive trailer, we need a fair bit amount of outside space.
The bigger independent villas don't come on the market that often.

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 9:04 am

there ya go

lol...that's on my list...trying to call the number now

although I have to say, I quite fancy this one...
http://www.bhomes.com/UAE/residentia...d/268087.xhtml

Meow Dec 9th 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8158514)
oh I know...it won't be easy to find a place, most are compounds, it will be hard to find a villa...am having a look the various websites now...why oh why do all those houses have such horrid horrid lighting fixtures...and what's with the wrought iron bannisters...and those dark 'wood' kitchens...arrgghhhhhhh

I am having flashbacks!

I was just amazed at some of the places we saw. They must have been designed by blind morons.

My friend tells a story of viewing a place a few years ago where each bathroom had an animal theme with the loos in the shape of the animals head and tiles to match.

-

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8158569)
I am having flashbacks!

I was just amazed at some of the places we saw. They must have been designed by blind morons.

My friend tells a story of viewing a place a few years ago where each bathroom had an animal theme with the loos in the shape of the animals head and tiles to match.

-

tell me about it...everything 'themed' is a big no no in my book, lol...
the kitchens are just the worst ever, dark country style fronts, beige tiles with motives...who in gods name thinks this is ok...what's wrong with just plain white...

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 9:13 am

there ya go

oh sorry madame...it just went yesterday

TGFKASE Dec 9th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8158583)

Course it did.. They have others to show you???

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8158597)
Course it did.. They have others to show you???

lol...they will get back to me

Blue Cat Dec 9th 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8158583)

shame that looked fabulous!! I find the best way is to drive round, there were some really nice big ones down where Spugsy used to live :)

Roadking Dec 9th 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8158872)
shame that looked fabulous!! I find the best way is to drive round, there were some really nice big ones down where Spugsy used to live :)

...and I hear the neighbourhood has improved since...:p

Blue Cat Dec 9th 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8159011)

:rofl:

MataHari Dec 9th 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8158872)

just got back from doing that...and my excitement has already left me
lots for rent but all too small for us...called around and it looks like it's going to be a bit of a nightmare finding a similiar place to what we have now...

Spugsy Dec 9th 2009 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8158565)
lol...that's on my list...trying to call the number now

although I have to say, I quite fancy this one...

looks bloody great that petal.

Spugsy Dec 9th 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8159011)

heh heh.....'that big beast of an english man who used to come back at 3am, fall over, climb over the 9 foot wall and sing football songs has gone now, praise be to allah...'

Ethos83 Dec 9th 2009 3:54 pm

Perhaps time for a change of scenery?

If your budget is 200K or above (judging from the link to the villa you showed us), why not look into Umm Suqeim or Jumeirah? Independent villas. Lots of greenery. You can walk to the beaches.

Roadking Dec 9th 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8159613)

If your budget is 200K or above (judging from the link to the villa you showed us), why not look into Umm Suqeim or Jumeirah? Independent villas. Lots of greenery. You can walk to the beaches.

...and listen to the sound of wheel spinning and the smell of burnt rubber during national day.

I live in Jumeirah and, with all respect to MH, I'd like to protect the neighbourhood. hehehehehe;)

Some really nice villas in J1, complete with pool, private, off the main road. If our LL doesn't wise up, we're moving to one...but then that should bring down values considerably.:unsure:

Blue Cat Dec 10th 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8159613)

kids are all in school in Mirdif, MH what about Mamzar and Ghusais?

Sandboy Dec 10th 2009 2:04 pm

can nobody read ? she wants to stay in the peoples Republic Of Mirdif !

Ray Dec 10th 2009 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8158565)
lolalthough I have to say, I quite fancy this one...

Thats 72,147.13 USD a year to rent

MacScot Dec 10th 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8162498)
Thats 72,147.13 USD a year to rent

Haha...that's common for larger villas here.

Ray Dec 10th 2009 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 8162540)
Haha...that's common for larger villas here.

I can get a 4 bed 3 bath with pool overlooking the golf course
for 150K and thats buying it outright

MataHari Dec 11th 2009 7:46 am

I've grid combed Mirdif...and there is nothing suitable it seems...not a happy bunny now...seen quite a few villas that I liked but none of them for rent. It's all compounds with hardly any outside space and the rooms are all much smaller than what we have now, which would mean we'd have to get rid of a lot of our funiture and replace it with smaller items, which would be a waste of money.

Someone mentioned moving to another part of Dubai...that's not an option cause of the kids schools and friends etc...plus we need to be close to the desert as one son frequently goes quadbiking after school...so that rules out Garhoud as well.

lionheart Dec 11th 2009 7:54 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8164381)
I've grid combed Mirdif...and there is nothing suitable it seems...not a happy bunny now...seen quite a few villas that I liked but none of them for rent. It's all compounds with hardly any outside space and the rooms are all much smaller than what we have now, which would mean we'd have to get rid of a lot of our funiture and replace it with smaller items, which would be a waste of money.

Someone mentioned moving to another part of Dubai...that's not an option cause of the kids schools and friends etc...plus we need to be close to the desert as one son frequently goes quadbiking after school...so that rules out Garhoud as well.

One of our neighbours in Garhoud sends one of their kids to a Mirdif school. The desert is only a 10 minute drive from virtually anywhere in Dubai. Maybe some compromise will be necessary.

The Dean Dec 11th 2009 7:58 am

5 bedrooms - fair enough, but 5 bathrooms??? :blink:

What next??? 5 maids????? :confused:

MataHari Dec 11th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8164397)
One of our neighbours in Garhoud sends one of their kids to a Mirdif school. The desert is only a 10 minute drive from virtually anywhere in Dubai. Maybe some compromise will be necessary.

yeah, but my son now just goes on his own, if we move out of the area, I'd have to have to be the one taking him to the desert with the trailer, he never has to rely on us being home to take him anywhere. I realise that if you don't have teenagers, moving is much easier. My boys now can come and go as they please, they can walk or cycle over to their friends houses, walk to Uptown etc...moving will have a big impact on their lives and if I can avoid that I will...

MataHari Dec 11th 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8164403)
5 bedrooms - fair enough, but 5 bathrooms??? :blink:

What next??? 5 maids????? :confused:

well, 4 bathrooms is ok as well...I am not too fussy about that, lol...
and yes, we are spoiled, before anyone says anything, with everybody having their own ensuite, and it's lovely, as most weekends the boys have friends staying over...I don't really want to be confronted with all that in my bathroom if you don't mind.

nah...I don't have a maid now so 5 would be weird...

The Dean Dec 11th 2009 8:14 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8164415)
well, 4 bathrooms is ok as well...I am not too fussy about that, lol...
and yes, we are spoiled, before anyone says anything, with everybody having their own ensuite, and it's lovely, as most weekends the boys have friends staying over...I don't really want to be confronted with all that in my bathroom if you don't mind.

nah...I don't have a maid now so 5 would be weird...

I had 5 maids once.......

......... at least, they said they were maids......... :huh:

MataHari Dec 11th 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8164423)
I had 5 maids once.......,

......... at least, they said they were maids......... :huh:

at least you didn't have to feel dirty...afterwards

The Dean Dec 11th 2009 8:54 am

As a separate point - what is the legal position? Must you move out just because the landlord wants you to? Is your contract ending? It's obviously a house you love and wouldn't have moved if this situation had not arisen.

The thing about his brother needing the house may be true but a shortage of cash may be the reason, in the current climate.

Why not push him a bit? Refuse to move - or else demand he pays your moving expenses, or whatever.

No more Mrs Nice Girl............... :sneaky:

Inselaffen Dec 11th 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8164485)
As a separate point - what is the legal position? Must you move out just because the landlord wants you to? Is your contract ending? It's obviously a house you love and wouldn't have moved if this situation had not arisen.

The thing about his brother needing the house may be true but a shortage of cash may be the reason, in the current climate.

Why not push him a bit? Refuse to move - or else demand he pays your moving expenses, or whatever.

No more Mrs Nice Girl............... :sneaky:

refuse and threaten to go to the Rent Committee

Blue Cat Dec 12th 2009 1:38 pm

what about that area opposite Mirdiff?

GrecoRomano Dec 12th 2009 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8164407)
yeah, but my son now just goes on his own, if we move out of the area, I'd have to have to be the one taking him to the desert with the trailer, he never has to rely on us being home to take him anywhere. I realise that if you don't have teenagers, moving is much easier. My boys now can come and go as they please, they can walk or cycle over to their friends houses, walk to Uptown etc...moving will have a big impact on their lives and if I can avoid that I will...

"moving will have a big impact on their lives and if I can avoid that I will..."

And when, do you think, will they start learning how to deal with life, or how to cope with changes? Or will they grow up incapable to leave a corner because of sheer lack of confidence? Incapable of facing changes? Of dealing with "big impacts"? Not to mention that at their age they are still capable of easily adapt to a new environment, make new friends, etc. And it's not that the old ones are disappearing, they have to put more effort to keep the bond alive, which is quite effective in telling who's important and who's just a filler.

Ray Dec 12th 2009 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano (Post 8167105)
"moving will have a big impact on their lives and if I can avoid that I will..."

And when, do you think, will they start learning how to deal with life, or how to cope with changes? Or will they grow up incapable to leave a corner because of sheer lack of confidence? Incapable of facing changes? Of dealing with "big impacts"? Not to mention that at their age they are still capable of easily adapt to a new environment, make new friends, etc. And it's not that the old ones are disappearing, they have to put more effort to keep the bond alive, which is quite effective in telling who's important and who's just a filler.

That was the PC statement ....

she really meant ..but its not said ...

Moving will be a damn nuisance ..shuttling those damn kids about will interfere with my social calendar

Spugsy Dec 12th 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8164426)
at least you didn't have to feel dirty...afterwards

Mizhar? just down the road and loads of big, massive places there pet.

MataHari Dec 12th 2009 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8167108)
That was the PC statement ....

she really meant ..but its not said ...

Moving will be a damn nuisance ..shuttling those damn kids about will interfere with my social calendar

lol...you have sussed me...but I am sure GR is just winding me up...