Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Well that'll fix the problem

Well that'll fix the problem

Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:43 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well that'll fix the problem

Originally Posted by Millhouse
ah, the underwater hotel. A dream come true.
So many that we could list.

I am hoping the Al Wasl/Beach Road nonsense will go the same way.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm that it's on the RTA tender list for the end of 2016.

But I can also confirm that many of the anticipated tenders announced by RTA for 2015 were never released.

Methinks enough influential locals will protest enough and it will quietly go away.

Originally Posted by Meow
So many that we could list.

I am hoping the Al Wasl/Beach Road nonsense will go the same way.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I can confirm that it's on the RTA tender list for the end of 2016.

But I can also confirm that many of the anticipated tenders announced by RTA for 2015 were never released.

Methinks enough influential locals will protest enough and it will quietly go away.
they will probably submit their protest online via a mobile app while driving on the same road.

The whole area is a mess right now. I must have done 5 U turns last night there due to the roadworks.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:01 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think it's fairly simple (the implementation, not the development)
Just link the app to your car's Salik tag. Anyone who goes into the RTA to renew the registration will have to go through steps a,b and c to ensure his mobile's app is now linked to his car's Salik tag.
Car won't start if the mobile isn't in the car and the mobile will shut off if it goes over 20
Of course there will be loop holes but hey, it's an idea, and now it's up to the slaves to figure out the nitty grittys!
Great men like me don't bother with details :P
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
No no no, not in the network.

At the car level, same same smart keys.
So you use your smart key and "it" somehow makes a Faraday cage around your car so that the GSM "waves" can't access it?

Or that the same key somehow prevents all phones within a given radius from accessing the GSM network?

I don't know what you do but that's not practical, yes it could be done, but at $40,000 premium for the bit of kit to do it, it won't be.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
they will probably submit their protest online via a mobile app while driving on the same road.

The whole area is a mess right now. I must have done 5 U turns last night there due to the roadworks.
Should have phoned someone for directions.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
So you use your smart key and "it" somehow makes a Faraday cage around your car so that the GSM "waves" can't access it?

Or that the same key somehow prevents all phones within a given radius from accessing the GSM network?

I don't know what you do but that's not practical, yes it could be done, but at $40,000 premium for the bit of kit to do it, it won't be.

We're getting there.

You get how if the smart key isn't in the car then the car will not start.
So if the car detects an active phone is in the car, really not that difficult, then the car will not start. Switch off the phone and the car will start.

Limiting it to inside the vehicle is pretty straightforward. Actually not much to it but getting the car manufacturers to add it would be impossible I'm sure.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:05 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

How about passengers with phones...would they also not be able to use their phone? And GPS, I use my phone for that
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can have the phone off but the GPS on. But it would need to be an offline GPS with the maps on the phone, no Google maps for the most part.

I think it would likely affect all phones in the vehicle. Making a sensor to detect the signal level from a phone inside the car is simple enough but not likely to differentiate between multiple phones in the same car.

A work around would be to return to external antennas. In such a way that radiation inside the vehicle is essentially nil but all your signal comes from the tethered external antenna.

I really can't see this being done. It's viable technically but so is an internet connected hairdryer.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That'll be fine as your kids bounce around the car without seatbelts and you wear sunglasses with your 50% tinted windows as you drive your behemoth of a car without indicators.
exactly, of all the issues that cause accidents and road deaths here using hands free devices is way way way down the list of problem to address first
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Should conversations between driver and passenger be banned as well?
There are countless nagged husbands out there secretly wishing for this to become law.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:14 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Me too.

I feel a bit left out now....

N.
I'm sure there's a snack bar within earshot.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

this will never come into force....just imagine all the locals going up in arms over this.

I have hands free in my car and I use it regularly - don't really see the issue, unless you are on the phone for longer than say 10 or so mins.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
I have hands free in my car and I use it regularly - don't really see the issue, unless you are on the phone for longer than say 10 or so mins.
Do car accidents only happen after 10 mins?
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

work banned hands free years ago, it's a pleasure to get in the car and switch the bloody thing off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.