Well done Farage

Old May 4th 2013, 11:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well done Farage

Originally Posted by Eeyore
What concerns me is how much of UKIP's support is coming from the racists who think that UKIP has a better chance of doing something about "all the foreigners" than the BNP does. How many people who voted for UKIP last week have the first idea about what their policies are on *anything* other than immigration? How many even *care*?

It's troubling that every week on Facebook I'll end up having to read one of those tiresome and *always* completely untrue "asylum seekers get every benefit going as soon as they arrive in the UK while British pensioners starve and freeze - like and share this if you think it's wrong" things being liked/shared by someone I know, and inevitably there are many more "likes" underneath it, because stupid people (and there are *many* stupid people out there) believe everything they read on Facebook that supports their own prejudices. I'm sure that quite a few of them would have voted for UKIP, and I'm also sure that UKIP leverages that sort of thing rather than being honourable and pointing out the factual inaccuracies.
Fully agree.
Old May 4th 2013, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, those of the electorate saying "get us out of Europe NOW!" are the kinds of people who would support a campaign saying "Ban dihydrogen monoxide!" - in other words, somewhat hard-of-thinking and easily led if you know how to press their buttons. Immigration, asylum seekers and Muslims are usually reliable topics to get them foaming at the mouth.

The arguments over whether the UK should be part of the EU are complex and nuanced, so of course there's no hope of them being properly debated ahead of any referendum. The "anti" vote is going to be motivated almost entirely by ignorance, racism and debate on the level of a Sun headline. Sorry, but it is.

He's an ex-Tory who made his money in the City and now heads an anti-immigration party.

If it looks like a ****** and sounds like a ******...
As you are also a ****, you are fully qualified to make that call.............. no problem.

Re your other point - there are also plenty of people (let's call it 'millions') who have shaken their heads in bewilderment at the obvious unwillingness of politicians to examine how undemocratic and corrupt the EU is, how it actually makes us worse off, and how in an increasingly global marketplace, the introspective nature of the protective EU is destroying jobs and livelihoods, particularly in the so-called peripheral countries.

At last, they might just have found a party with a leader that gives them a voice.......
Old May 4th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

What concerns me is how much of UKIP's support is coming from the racists who think that UKIP has a better chance of doing something about "all the foreigners" than the BNP does. How many people who voted for UKIP last week have the first idea about what their policies are on *anything* other than immigration? How many even *care*?

It's troubling that every week on Facebook I'll end up having to read one of those tiresome and *always* completely untrue "asylum seekers get every benefit going as soon as they arrive in the UK while British pensioners starve and freeze - like and share this if you think it's wrong" things being liked/shared by someone I know, and inevitably there are many more "likes" underneath it, because stupid people (and there are *many* stupid people out there) believe everything they read on Facebook that supports their own prejudices. I'm sure that quite a few of them would have voted for UKIP, and I'm also sure that UKIP leverages that sort of thing rather than being honourable and pointing out the factual inaccuracies.
They'll disappear again soon
Old May 4th 2013, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
They'll disappear again soon
I doubt that............ why will those who voted UKIP this time 'suddenly' go back to the other parties again?

I suspect UKIP will spend the next few weeks counting the defectors from other parties who come stampeding in...........
Old May 4th 2013, 1:16 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I doubt that............ why will those who voted UKIP this time 'suddenly' go back to the other parties again?

I suspect UKIP will spend the next few weeks counting the defectors from other parties who come stampeding in...........
I doubt it. It's a protest vote at local elections which are not seen as important. People will still vote for the main parties at a general election.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:17 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a trick question, but how much of the UKIP support does come from racists?

I've given up following UK politics, to me all of the politicians and parties are the same. Overpaid, stand up in the HoC and argue like children, swap power then screw things up again.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
This is not a trick question, but how much of the UKIP support does come from racists?

certainly some of the candidates were, as shown by a couple of them posting photos on social media sites, one in a Nazi uniform, and the other having photoshopped his face onto a load of people surrounding Hitler, and yes I know Farage did get rid of them from UKIP, but as they were already on the ballot papers they had to stay and be classed as candidates. Several others turned up at the various counts in fancy dress, and some of these just might be on a local council near you.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Number of subscribers to the Daily Mail who voted for them + alpha
Old May 4th 2013, 2:52 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
certainly some of the candidates were, as shown by a couple of them posting photos on social media sites, one in a Nazi uniform, and the other having photoshopped his face onto a load of people surrounding Hitler, and yes I know Farage did get rid of them from UKIP, but as they were already on the ballot papers they had to stay and be classed as candidates. Several others turned up at the various counts in fancy dress, and some of these just might be on a local council near you.
Did those candidates get voted in?
Old May 4th 2013, 4:34 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

It's really a single-issue party, and that issue is immigration. Therefore it's absolutely inevitable that it will be attractive to racists, or indeed anyone who says "I'm not being racist, but..." and then immediately goes on to say something racist.

Of course, it will also attract people who *aren't* naturally afraid of people who aren't like them, but who don't understand the first thing about the EU and think it involves the UK giving it huge amount of money and getting nothing back in return. Either way, do we want people deciding on the UK's EU membership based on those criteria?

I do hope it's just a midterm protest vote, but judging by the sheer amount of staggeringly ignorant anti-immigrant vitriol you see on Facebook, there are enough racist knuckledraggers out there who will believe any old bollocks as long as it plays to their prejudices about "forriners" to give Farage an entirely undeserved level of influence in national policymaking.

Last edited by Eeyore; May 4th 2013 at 4:38 pm.
Old May 4th 2013, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is a serious level of bullshit being spouted in this thread - isn't the sweeping 'racists' label equally misinformed? Who were these so-called racists voting for before UKIP came along?

A protest vote is usually about 2-3 percent, not 25-ish. 2nd place in just about every by-election that comes along......... whatever. A lot of people are reporting that this has a very different feel to it - and why would anyone vote Dim Lib again, after they sold out to the Tories? And why vote Tory, for that matter? (UKIP are where the Tories should be).

I think you lot have got a shock coming............ expect a desperate deal to be offered by Cameron to Farage pre-2015 GE............
Old May 4th 2013, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Protest vote? From a Twitter mate:

"Out of 1750 UKIP candidates, only 38 scored below 10% of the poll, a huge achievement. Looking good for the Euro elections!"
Old May 4th 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Protest vote? From a Twitter mate:

"Out of 1750 UKIP candidates, only 38 scored below 10% of the poll, a huge achievement. Looking good for the Euro elections!"
It would have been more if Farage was allowed at the televised debate. Like what he is saying or not, it is impossible to not notice his brilliance as a speaker and his ability to connect to the common voter - something Arse-face and Weasel will never achieve.
Old May 4th 2013, 7:05 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

There is a serious level of bullshit being spouted in this thread - isn't the sweeping 'racists' label equally misinformed?
Presumably, "we're not racists, honest!" is the number one message UKIP members are told to promote.

Who were these so-called racists voting for before UKIP came along?
The Tories, obviously. While there will be racist elements among the supporters of all the mainstream political parties, it's inevitable that the Tories will harbour the greatest number. They have always been a socially anti-progressive party, and within Tory constituency associations all over the country you'll find plenty of people who consider it "political correctness gone mad" that they can't call a wog a wog any more.

2nd place in just about every by-election that comes along
The vast majority of which were in natural Tory strongholds. One bunch of right-wing c***s being replaced by a bunch of even more right-wing c***s in the sort of constituencies where they'd usually vote for a lamp-post if it had a blue rosette on it.

And just to reiterate, I do wonder how many of the people who voted UKIP had the faintest idea about any of their policies beyond immigration control?
Old May 4th 2013, 7:26 pm
Soupy twist

Just read the latest Private Eye - very good

"THOSE UKIP POLICIES IN FULL

1. Smoking to be allowed in pubs.
2. Waxed jackets to be made mandatory.
3. Chaps not obliged to help with the washing up.
4. VAT on beards.
5. Massive investment in golf club construction.
6. Driving gloves to be worn in cars at all times.
7. Bring back Robertson's Golly on marmalade jars.
8. Police permitted to give young offenders a clip round the ear.
9. Black and white TV to return.
10. Johnny Foreigner to get marching orders... whoops"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.