British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Weird Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/weird-food-753079/)

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2012 5:12 pm

Weird Food

This one's specially for Lil'Jim:

http://thechive.com/2012/03/28/oh-sh...-photos/o6lfi/

littlejimmy Mar 28th 2012 5:47 pm

Re: Weird Food

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9977206)

What
The
****?!

Autonomy Mar 28th 2012 9:18 pm

"and how does the raw Octopus come....?"

"Angry, Sir"

littlejimmy Mar 29th 2012 3:15 am

Is it just me or do some orientals seem to enjoy making things suffer before eating them? I've seen the videos of the half-cooked/half-alive fish and saw snakes being tortured in markets in Taiwan. What gives?

Anyway, next stop Mongolia. That should have some interesting food...

mentalist Mar 29th 2012 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9977206)

Thanks for that. I had been planning on going to Sumo's tomorrow for sushi.:thumbdown:

Norm_uk Mar 29th 2012 6:57 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9977939)
Is it just me or do some orientals seem to enjoy making things suffer before eating them? I've seen the videos of the half-cooked/half-alive fish and saw snakes being tortured in markets in Taiwan. What gives?

Anyway, next stop Mongolia. That should have some interesting food...

Most of them don't touch that kind of food - it's mostly for drunk young men out on the piss looking for something macho to eat in front of friends. They like very fresh food and avoid packaged crap so it's made to suffer in front of them rather than hidden away in slaughterhouses where you have no idea how they actually kill the meat that gets to your table like we have. There's no difference really except they are more comfortable with where their meat comes from than we are.

All this aside the octopus in this video is already dead or close to death. The extra salt in the soy source being poured over it is firing cells in the tentacles to make it move...not something I'd try myself but I really don't care.

Mongolian food is mostly cheeses, mutton and horse meat. The fermented horse milk is particularly good but it does make you dizzy even in small amounts.

N.

kittycat1 Mar 31st 2012 6:12 am

My old boss was in China and came across a box of kittens outside a restaurant, she was told you could choose which ones you wanted to eat- she was horrified so decided to buy a couple to free and risk their little lives on the street, she selected two and as they picked them out the box they rung their little necks right in front of her :(

Norm_uk Mar 31st 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9981542)
My old boss was in China and came across a box of kittens outside a restaurant, she was told you could choose which ones you wanted to eat- she was horrified so decided to buy a couple to free and risk their little lives on the street, she selected two and as they picked them out the box they rung their little necks right in front of her :(

The SAS survival manual states cat meat taste like sour poo. Must be a rare or very hungry palette that would enjoy that.

N.

Alexa Mar 31st 2012 3:12 pm

Saw loads of those in the markets of Guangzhou.
And some other "exotic" specimens sold to satisfy a discerning palate.:eek:

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 1st 2012 7:57 am

Serves her right for meddling with other people's shit.

Norm_uk Apr 1st 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9982067)
Saw loads of those in the markets of Guangzhou.
And some other "exotic" specimens sold to satisfy a discerning palate.:eek:

The Cantonese have a China-wide reputation for eating all sorts of crap that would make a billy goat puke.

N.

Alexa Apr 1st 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9982942)
The Cantonese have a China-wide reputation for eating all sorts of crap that would make a billy goat puke.

N.

Indeed they do.
Ever tried boiled duck's feet?

Millhouse Apr 1st 2012 11:48 am

when I went to China I ate a cat.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 1st 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9983198)
when I went to China I ate a cat.

When my mate when to China he ate pussy too.

Must be cheap.

Norm_uk Apr 1st 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9983057)
Indeed they do.
Ever tried boiled duck's feet?

Tried spicy boiled duck feet. No meat...seemed pointless.

N.