British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Weekend in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/weekend-doha-830136/)

Sean_f Apr 1st 2014 6:43 am

Weekend in Doha

Hi, A friend and myself are going to take a drive from Riyadh to Doha this weekend and are looking for suggestions on where to go for a few beers and what is the cost of drinks out there is it comparable with Dubai and Bahrain if anyone could give a up to date list of places and a rough idea of pint price that would be great as everything I seem to find with Google has places that have long since stopped serving beer or worse still closed.

Thanks,
Sean-f

OriginalSunshine Apr 1st 2014 1:08 pm

Re: Weekend in Doha

When I was last there, most places required your alcohol licence to serve you / let you in, or they would only let you in if you were a guest at the hotel.

britexpat76 Apr 1st 2014 1:32 pm

That must of been a long time ago............

Cost is the same as anywhere out this way, or a touch more. If you are doing a brunch everywhere does one so that wipes out friday afternoon.

Bars worth a look

Wahm - W Hotel
Trader Vics - Hilton
New Crowne Plaza is alright - Bar downstairs and one on the top floor around the pool
Cellar bar and jazz club - Oryx Rotana

OriginalSunshine Apr 1st 2014 3:14 pm

february 2014 was when I last visited

flood2 Apr 1st 2014 6:13 pm

I visited the Brazilian in the Crowne Plaza most Saturday and Sundays since it opened. I arrived as a tourist on a Saturday and left as a tourist on a Thursday.It opened, way back in December 2012..

I was never asked for alcohol license, or seen anyone asked for one....

I was not a Qatari resident and if I had been asked I would have produced my passport showing I was not a resident and as such I could buy alcohol...as a visitor/tourist.

Go there during happy hour 5-7pm and you get a beer for 23 Riyals, and you can load up around 6:45 with a few more.. After that it is around 46 Riyals plus 10% tip..

britexpat76 Apr 1st 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11199873)
february 2014 was when I last visited

In every bar I have visited I have never been asked for licence. You need id to enter a bar either RP or passport.

Sean_f Apr 2nd 2014 6:10 am

thanks for the info guys, we heard you need to take passport with you to get in.

Cheers

co durham boy Apr 2nd 2014 4:22 pm

You dont need an alcohol license to get served in Doha , just as BE said a valid RP or passport will suffice .

OriginalSunshine Apr 2nd 2014 5:45 pm

hmm - must have just been me & the engineers I was with then! must have looked dodgy or summat :D oh well :D

OleJanx Apr 2nd 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11201654)
hmm - must have just been me & the engineers I was with then! must have looked dodgy or summat :D oh well :D

It was Doha at its best - rules changing according to whim.