British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Weekend (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/weekend-896624/)

Miss Ann Thrope May 17th 2017 10:54 am

Re: Weekend

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12254300)
How's fourth looking?

Iffy, but if we had to rely on any team doing us a favour then I'd bank on the mugsmashers: here's hoping for an implosion like spuds did on the last day last season..

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12254300)
Are you Wenger In or Wenger Out?
I imagine you're sentimental with him but accept the reality that maybe change would be good?

Having been hooked as an impressionable schoolboy by the exploits of Chippie Brady in his pomp (and Davo and Frank), I'm a Wenger-for-lifer given most of what went before: I was not an enthusiast of the 1-0 to the Arsenal era for example. Why people want to get rid of our greatest ever manager who plays such open and entertaining (if frequently butt-clenching and not-in-a-good-way) football - and is a decent bloke to boot - when there is no obvious alternative, let alone upgrade, remains a mystery to me. Spoiled late-comers mostly I think... Though I'm also weird in preferring the Grove to Highbury.

scrubbedexpat141 May 17th 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12254396)
Iffy, but if we had to rely on any team doing us a favour then I'd bank on the mugsmashers: here's hoping for an implosion like spuds did on the last day last season..

Having been hooked as an impressionable schoolboy by the exploits of Chippie Brady in his pomp (and Davo and Frank), I'm a Wenger-for-lifer given most of what went before: I was not an enthusiast of the 1-0 to the Arsenal era for example. Why people want to get rid of our greatest ever manager who plays such open and entertaining (if frequently butt-clenching and not-in-a-good-way) football - and is a decent bloke to boot - when there is no obvious alternative, let alone upgrade, remains a mystery to me. Spoiled late-comers mostly I think... Though I'm also weird in preferring the Grove to Highbury.

I couldn't have put the Wenger thing any better actually.

Whilst success and competing at the highest level (Prem and Champs League) isn't regular or even really there in recent memory, Arsenal fans laying blame anywhere but the money men seems mad to me.

jam25mack May 17th 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12254295)
Ha, I refuse to be condescended to by a plastic fantastic from a club that now consistently finishes below us. But at least you're used to Thursday nights (and I have a strong feeling that you'll clogging well have to settle for that next year as well).

How am I plastic fantastic?

As for 'consistently finishes below us'..... that true if your sample size is the last 3 seasons. What have Le Arse won in the last decade? Google it and then lets have a realistic conversation.

As for if United or Ajax will win, who knows, however, thats still preferable to being embarrassed in Europe for the last 20yrs.

#wengerin

scrubbedexpat141 May 17th 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12254463)
How am I plastic fantastic?

As for 'consistently finishes below us'..... that true if your sample size is the last 3 seasons. What have Le Arse won in the last decade? Google it and then lets have a realistic conversation.

As for if United or Ajax will win, who knows, however, thats still preferable to being embarrassed in Europe for the last 20yrs.

#wengerin

That's a pretty big chomp mate.

It's cute how punchy you get over United. :nod::lol:

jam25mack May 17th 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12254469)
That's a pretty big chomp mate.

It's cute how punchy you get over United. :nod::lol:

Stand by it tho fella. ;)

Irishbeekeeper May 17th 2017 2:42 pm

Although Ive never been to any actual game, I was always a Liverpool fan but have always had a soft spot for Real Madrid as well. Is that possible? to like 2 or even 3 teams?

Bahtatboy May 17th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12254603)
Although Ive never been to any actual game, I was always a Liverpool fan but have always had a soft spot for Real Madrid as well. Is that possible? to like 2 or even 3 teams?

I don't see why not, providing you describe yourself as a "fan" and not a "supporter".

I'm a fan of Halle Berry, Thandie Newton, Rosario Dawson and Alfre Woodard. None of them has ever complained.

Irishbeekeeper May 17th 2017 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12254615)
I don't see why not, providing you describe yourself as a "fan" and not a "supporter".

I'm a fan of Halle Berry, Thandie Newton, Rosario Dawson and Alfre Woodard. None of them has ever complained.

hmm, valid point. I think I would definitely call myself a fan after that description.

and you can have the other 3 but Halle Berry is all mine!! :sneaky::sneaky:
it was demi moore, naomi campbell and catherine bell as the other 3 in my time

scrubbedexpat141 May 18th 2017 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12254603)

I honestly can't tell you what it's like to go to a football match, they're all different. The rainy days, the sunny May days, the freezing January ones.

Honestly one of my fondest childhood memories, just Dad and I on a Saturday in our seats at Saints. It was the only thing we did just us, it was on the one day a week I saw him and it was watching my favourite team in my favourite sport against generally better opposition...but I enjoyed that too, seeing all the superstars down in Southampton.

Football is wonderful. Genuinely wonderful and I have many stadia on my bucket list to see and experience.

You should get yourself back and to a game somewhere huge like Old Trafford, Anfield, St James etc.

co durham boy May 18th 2017 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12255059)
I honestly can't tell you what it's like to go to a football match, they're all different. The rainy days, the sunny May days, the freezing January ones.

Honestly one of my fondest childhood memories, just Dad and I on a Saturday in our seats at Saints. It was the only thing we did just us, it was on the one day a week I saw him and it was watching my favourite team in my favourite sport against generally better opposition...but I enjoyed that too, seeing all the superstars down in Southampton.

Football is wonderful. Genuinely wonderful and I have many stadia on my bucket list to see and experience.

You should get yourself back and to a game somewhere huge like Old Trafford, Anfield, St James etc.

Football is ingrained in the culture of the UK , Europe and in other parts of the world , that's where the real passion comes from .

It's not just the 90mins , it's everything that surrounds it , the club , the people , it's a belonging and sometimes an identity .

No other game has this effect , it's truly is a wonderful thing .

scrubbedexpat141 May 18th 2017 5:27 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12255077)
Football is ingrained in the culture of the UK , Europe and in other parts of the world , that's where the real passion comes from .

It's not just the 90mins , it's everything that surrounds it , the club , the people , it's a belonging and sometimes an identity .

No other game has this effect , it's truly is a wonderful thing .

You just like the fighting. ;)

Millhouse May 18th 2017 5:47 am

Mini loves playing football and talking about it, so I thought I'd take him to a couple of live games. He (like me) spent most of the time watching the security guards and other people. He said... "it's pretty boring, really but I like watching the security guards"

co durham boy May 18th 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12255078)
You just like the fighting. ;)

I quite liked a row 25 years ago ;)

scrubbedexpat141 May 18th 2017 7:23 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12255099)
I quite liked a row 25 years ago ;)

I knew you were Dad hard. Like Joe Jordan.

weasel decentral May 18th 2017 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12254615)

I had to look up the last name, you certainly have a distinct preference.