British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   we buy any car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/we-buy-any-car-891240/)

Millhouse Feb 7th 2017 5:41 am

we buy any car

Used a company of similar name in Dubai last night. Can't say I liked the experience.

My Car was shit. We agreed a price after a long inspection and discussion of the faults. 12k agreed subject to RTA test pass. It passed, then a new offer comes at 10k as the RTA inspector noticed a fault... a fault we had already discussed and factored into the first agreed price.

They they tried to start negotiations (moving up in 500dh increments). Trying not to get drawn into this, I ended up saying that this is not a souk and that nothing on the car will be repaired, it will just go to auction with its new pass certificate and they will collect their 5k. They conceded that is exactly what will happen.

The bottom feeder dealers sense what is happening in the RTA and show interest. Suddenly the price goes back to the original 12k.

Anyway, ended up selling to a bottom feeder for 13k+140dh for the test pass.

Fight almost broke out, and they threw the plates (that they should not have removed as we did not agree a deal) back at me.

Seems they aren't such nice people to deal with. Although I have sympathy that they get annoyed by the bottom feeders stealing their business all the time - I wouldn't have done it had they not tried to push the price down at the last minute.

As I told them... that's the market you work in. :lol:

weasel decentral Feb 7th 2017 5:56 am

Re: we buy any car

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12172995)
Used a company of similar name in Dubai last night. Can't say I liked the experience.

My Car was shit. We agreed a price after a long inspection and discussion of the faults. 12k agreed subject to RTA test pass. It passed, then a new offer comes at 10k as the RTA inspector noticed a fault... a fault we had already discussed and factored into the first agreed price.

They they tried to start negotiations (moving up in 500dh increments). Trying not to get drawn into this, I ended up saying that this is not a souk and that nothing on the car will be repaired, it will just go to auction with its new pass certificate and they will collect their 5k. They conceded that is exactly what will happen.

The bottom feeder dealers sense what is happening in the RTA and show interest. Suddenly the price goes back to the original 12k.

Anyway, ended up selling to a bottom feeder for 13k+140dh for the test pass.

Fight almost broke out, and they threw the plates (that they should not have removed as we did not agree a deal) back at me.

Seems they aren't such nice people to deal with. Although I have sympathy that they get annoyed by the bottom feeders stealing their business all the time - I wouldn't have done it had they not tried to push the price down at the last minute.

As I told them... that's the market you work in. :lol:

What car was this? I can't keep up with the volume of vehicles in your garage.

DXBtoDOH Feb 7th 2017 5:56 am

Is this the same midlife crisis car you were trying to flog?

Thought you were getting a lot more than 12k?

Or is this a copy/paste of a review from elsewhere?

Reminds me of Egypt. In hailing a taxi I'd just go to a group of waiting taxi drivers, announce my price and when they started haggling I'd just walk away. Sure enough at least one taxi driver would chase me down and agree to my price.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 7th 2017 6:18 am

We sold the Mrs car to one of them. She haggled like a complete hero to get a half decent price for it. It was totally ****ed and the first two places refused to buy it because despite having the engine bay cleaned you could see the oil everywhere. :o

They were pretty efficient once a price was agreed, we just had to go back and give them the spare key.

You know what you're going to get I suppose.

Having plates thrown at you doesn't sound fun though.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 7th 2017 6:24 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12172997)

Reminds me of Egypt. In hailing a taxi I'd just go to a group of waiting taxi drivers, announce my price and when they started haggling I'd just walk away. Sure enough at least one taxi driver would chase me down and agree to my price.

for a ride I presume?
:rofl:

DXBtoDOH Feb 7th 2017 6:38 am

I was going to type something witty and with a slightly sexual undertone but for the life of me couldn't think of anything suitable. Not my day, eh? :unsure:

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12173006)
for a ride I presume?
:rofl:

TheShed Feb 7th 2017 6:44 am

Tried to sell Mrs Shed's old Beemer to one of these cowboys once. The best price they came up with was 20k but we sold it 2 days later on Dubizzle for 42k to a very nice jordanian fella. It was an ultra low mileage, high spec car but they were finding faults such as the tow hook cover was missing (car was 8 years old).

After sitting there being ignored for almost 3 hours, we just demanded the key and drove off.

I would only go back if I was desperate and needed the cash in hours.

DXBtoDOH Feb 7th 2017 6:48 am

Different nationalities have different fetishes for different cars.

The Levant Arabs love their Beemers and Audis more than the Germans even do. We've all see the Lebos making sub 10k in a 20 year old BMW.

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12173014)
very nice jordanian fella.

The Brits have a thing for Land Rovers that no one else understands.

Americans with their massive trucks.

The Spanish/Italians always go for tiny Fiats and Minis despite the terrible resale.

South Asians and Prados. Enough said.

weasel decentral Feb 7th 2017 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12173004)

Having plates thrown at you doesn't sound fun though.

Now you know how the waiters in those Greek restaurants feel.

TheShed Feb 7th 2017 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12173019)
Different nationalities have different fetishes for different cars.

The Levant Arabs love their Beemers and Audis more than the Germans even do. We've all see the Lebos making sub 10k in a 20 year old BMW.

The Brits have a thing for Land Rovers that no one else understands.

Americans with their massive trucks.

The Spanish/Italians always go for tiny Fiats and Minis despite the terrible resale.

South Asians and Prados. Enough said.

Agreed, but he was one of many bidders that we saw in two days. My point was the hopelessly low balling of the any car.com people.

Millhouse Feb 7th 2017 7:19 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12173014)
Tried to sell Mrs Shed's old Beemer to one of these cowboys once. The best price they came up with was 20k but we sold it 2 days later on Dubizzle for 42k to a very nice jordanian fella. It was an ultra low mileage, high spec car but they were finding faults such as the tow hook cover was missing (car was 8 years old).

After sitting there being ignored for almost 3 hours, we just demanded the key and drove off.

I would only go back if I was desperate and needed the cash in hours.

I know that jordanian fella. I bet he was wearing sports clothes/football kit.

He was my bottom feeder dealer. :lol:

Millhouse Feb 7th 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12172997)
Is this the same midlife crisis car you were trying to flog?

Thought you were getting a lot more than 12k?

The 370Z went for a lot more.

Last night, I sold two cars, and bought one. All in the space of 3 hours. Technically, I sold one of the cars twice :lol:

Call me Mike Brewer

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 7th 2017 7:23 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12173032)
Now you know how the waiters in those Greek restaurants feel.

Yeah but their sweeping up skills.....

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12173033)
Agreed, but he was one of many bidders that we saw in two days. My point was the hopelessly low balling of the any car.com people.

You may or may not believe this, but my moral compass kicked in with her car. Like you, I'd avoid these places like the plague because whilst lazy, I'm not sacrificing silly money for ease.

However, flogging her car for a few thousand more to some unsuspecting, undeserving man or woman off the street would have felt genuinely wrong...assuming they didn't notice the red triangle light that said 'stop driving the car immediately and go to a garage'.

weasel decentral Feb 7th 2017 7:41 am

I sold a pretty awesomely smashed up road bike to a dealer one time, who said he was going to take the engine out of it for a track day bike. (it had less than a 1000km on it, but the frame and quite a bit more were well trashed)

Anyhow lo and behold one evening I saw it parked up beside a shop, I had reserved a number for the licence plate, so knew it was mine despite a fresh paint job.

I told the new owner that the bike was an insurance write off and he didn't give a shit. A market exists for all kinds it seems.

DXBtoDOH Feb 7th 2017 8:14 am

You planning on opening up your own dodgy garage under a railway arch in London? ;)

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12173042)
The 370Z went for a lot more.

Last night, I sold two cars, and bought one. All in the space of 3 hours. Technically, I sold one of the cars twice :lol:

Call me Mike Brewer

I'm intrigued. Are you now buying and selling cars to make some spare money?