British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The way you look... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/way-you-look-598270/)

MataHari Mar 18th 2009 3:42 am

The way you look...

Has the way you look influenced your life...and if so, how...
and do you treat people differently because of what they look like...
A while ago my daughter kept wanting to arrange a playdate with this really ugly looking girl and I noticed that I kept on putting it off for just that reason which is not nice of me...

BangleMan Mar 18th 2009 3:48 am

Re: The way you look...

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7391652)
A while ago my daughter kept wanting to arrange a playdate with this really ugly looking girl and I noticed that I kept on putting it off for just that reason which is not nice of me...

Not sure if my handsome good looks have had a bearing on my life, but I dont like ugly people......

lionheart Mar 18th 2009 5:11 am

I don't believe you really mean that, MH. Surely playing with an ugly or even handicapped child would help your daughter face the realities of the world. At their age, pretty and often spoilt girls can be quite obnoxious at times. When I was a Dr. Barnardo's boy, my best friend was a crippled boy with polio, which obviously I didn't understand at that age. When I was 21 years old, I revisited the orphanage to make a charitable contribution and found that my crippled friend was still there. It was heartbreaking i can tell you. Nobody wanted to adopt him.:(

Inselaffen Mar 18th 2009 5:19 am

maybe your daughter wants to lookmore attractive by standing next to an ugly girl!

MataHari Mar 18th 2009 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7391811)
maybe your daughter wants to lookmore attractive by standing next to an ugly girl!

she's not that smart...yet

Spugsy Mar 18th 2009 5:57 am

I have started getting loads of lasses who I haven't seen in 20 years from school wanting to be my friend, if they are ugly I turn them down.

Emerald_Eyes Mar 18th 2009 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7391895)
I have started getting loads of lasses who I haven't seen in 20 years from school wanting to be my friend, if they are ugly I turn them down.

I'm assuming you're talking about Facebook? If so, it makes perfect sense because you could really mess up your Number of Hot Friends score if you start accepting monsters!

Norm_uk Mar 18th 2009 6:15 am

No matter how hard we try we will always to a degree judge by appearance.

Friends, sexual partners, sales people, even just picking someone in a crowd to ask for directions. Our brains are wired this way and we have to fight to stop being unfair for no good reason.

I think the first step is recognising you do this...most people don't even know or care they are so bias.

N.

Spugsy Mar 18th 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7391918)
I'm assuming you're talking about Facebook? If so, it makes perfect sense because you could really mess up your Number of Hot Friends score if you start accepting monsters!

well I accept them, checkthe pics and if they are munters get rid, it's interesting to see how many of them have become a bit rough,

turns out LOADS.

Sky Blue Mar 18th 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7391963)
well I accept them, checkthe pics and if they are munters get rid, it's interesting to see how many of them have become a bit rough,

turns out LOADS.

Thats very true, there are a lot of girls who were ding dong at school and now look a bit dodge and a few ugly ducklings who have turned into little fitties...

still.unsure Mar 18th 2009 6:35 am

turns out LOADS.

you're talking about geordie lasses, right? and you're surprised about how many turned out rough? :p

Spugsy Mar 18th 2009 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7391968)
Thats very true, there are a lot of girls who were ding dong at school and now look a bit dodge and a few ugly ducklings who have turned into little fitties...

There's one fat lass who I can hardly remember who requested to be my friend 4 times in 4 days, I keep turning her down,

plus 2 who popped up and emailed me asking 'why have you taken me off your friends list'?

Christ, it's only facebook and I haven't ****ing seen you since I was 16 like, you fat munter.

Spugsy Mar 18th 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7391978)
you're talking about geordie lasses, right? and you're surprised about how many turned out rough? :p

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...atslags203.gif

Sky Blue Mar 18th 2009 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7391984)
There's one fat lass who I can hardly remember who requested to be my friend 4 times in 4 days, I keep turning her down,

plus 2 who popped up and emailed me asking 'why have you taken me off your friends list'?

Christ, it's only facebook and I haven't ****ing seen you since I was 16 like, you fat munter.

thats quality!

I ignored some old school "mate" but I havent seen him since i was 18 and apparently he turned into a nut job...

MataHari Mar 18th 2009 6:50 am

turns out LOADS.

so would you change your way of posting to a woman on BE after you find out she isn't the little sex kitten that her avatar perhaps suggests...