Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Waxy O'Connor's.............

Waxy O'Connor's.............

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Those words 'Ehlooo Baybeee' haunt me.
Nothing like telling them that you're from Accra or Port Harcourt and making them believe you.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kix
Cyclone?
Close to the American Hospital. I spent a lamentable few days suffering with Appendicitis at the AH back in 1997. All I could hear for a few days was the 'Thump Thump' Bass Line from The Cyclone nearby – One of my regular haunts! Then AH gave me a 'Free Post-Operative Infection!' The Infection lasted longer, and cost more than the original surgery!

I believe 'The Bunker' was run by a woman. The only Expat Female in the UAE to be given an Alcohol Licence.

It makes you wonder? – Where are they now?

And does anyone remember the 'Arif Castle' at the top of Bank Street. That was when the top of Bank Street was called 'Budgie Roundabout!'

Last edited by jackthehat; Mar 3rd 2013 at 9:44 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Were you thinking of iBO - was next to the Millennium and was knocked down to build the metro. It was run by the guys behind 9714 and FiveGreen...

Great guys and the best club in Dubai (then or since)
Thats the puppy!

I only found it a few months before they shut.

It massively reminded me of my Uni student union - Oasis, Blur, Pulp, James, Nirvana, Proclaimers (Uni was in Scotland) etc. It was a proper sticky floor place too. Awesome!
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

BinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Not forgetting Thatcher's which was before Waxy's when it was the Dubai Marine Hotel.
And Wilkie's Wine Bar before that............. Anyone remember Baker Street bar?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Close to the American Hospital. I spent a lamentable few days suffering with Appendicitis at the AH back in 1997. All I could hear for a few days was the 'Thump Thump' Bass Line from The Cyclone nearby – One of my regular haunts! Then AH gave me a 'Free Post-Operative Infection!' The Infection lasted longer, and cost more than the original surgery!

I believe 'The Bunker' was run by a woman. The only Expat Female in the UAE to be given an Alcohol Licence.

And does anyone remember the 'Arif Castle' at the top of Bank Street. That was when the top of Bank Street was called 'Budgie Roundabout!'
Remember the snooker table in The Bunker?? It had a Phoenix-Nights-style slope........
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BinCat
And Wilkie's Wine Bar before that............. Anyone remember Baker Street bar?
Baker Street was very popular when I arrived in 1985 but Wilkies was gone by then I believe?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

BinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Baker Street was very popular when I arrived in 1985 but Wilkies was gone by then I believe?
Yep, unfortunately it only lasted a few years. Was going strong in '81, the Royal Wedding was a big event on tv there but didn't last more than a few years, sadly.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BinCat
Yep, unfortunately it only lasted a few years. Was going strong in '81, the Royal Wedding was a big event on tv there but didn't last more than a few years, sadly.
Ah Royal Wedding Day 1981, changed a clutch in my Ford Cortina! Strangely, I remembered the Cortina Clutch when I heard the news of Diana's death in '97
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ah Royal Wedding Day 1981, changed a clutch in my Ford Cortina! Strangely, I remembered the Cortina Clutch when I heard the news of Diana's death in '97
97?

Christ, I even feel old now.

I was trying to understand why the TV guide said 'Pink Panther' but there was just news on.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Julie is a friend of mine and she is still in Dubai
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

a summer afternoon in Waxy's was definitely among the lows of my time in Dubai

not a woman in sight and all the blokes acting like hyenas when 3 did turn up - one fella made my day though, proper pompus twat every morning with his perfect little family at school, ensuring the kids had their cucumber and carrot sticks etc... a drunken leering mess when Mrs was out of town, made sure he knew who I was

the bogs were covered in an inch of piss and the dj was playing Slade and Sweet songs - we decided to move a bit upmarket and went to the York
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
a summer afternoon in Waxy's was definitely among the lows of my time in Dubai

not a woman in sight and all the blokes acting like hyenas when 3 did turn up - one fella made my day though, proper pompus twat every morning with his perfect little family at school, ensuring the kids had their cucumber and carrot sticks etc... a drunken leering mess when Mrs was out of town, made sure he knew who I was

the bogs were covered in an inch of piss and the dj was playing Slade and Sweet songs - we decided to move a bit upmarket and went to the York
Proper dive that place , more slappers than a Whitley Bay kebab house . Seen a few casualties get jettisoned out of there over the years .

Nothing beat The Cyclone . Full of loaded Gulf Arabs and Russian hookers in cocktail dresses , like a scene from a James Bond film .
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Proper dive that place , more slappers than a Whitley Bay kebab house . Seen a few casualties get jettisoned out of there over the years .

Nothing beat The Cyclone . Full of loaded Gulf Arabs and Russian hookers in cocktail dresses , like a scene from a James Bond film .
...... and directly referred to by Matt Damon in (I think) Syriana?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
...... and directly referred to by Matt Damon in (I think) Syriana?
Yeah and the hookers would only except Dollars at one point , hence been affectionately known as The Cyclone's Russian Dollar Queens !
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:48 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

jeez C! you lot have been here forever havent u?
its been only 6 months for me and I barely know where I am at any time of the day (or night)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.