Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Waxy O'Connor's.............

Waxy O'Connor's.............

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waxy O'Connor's.............

............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by The Dean
............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.
I found this out the hard way, by turning up. It's now a Goan restaurant / bar and shit.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Waxy's brunch...truckers scran and 5 pints 50aed back in the day.

People falling all over the place by 3pm..

When I first came out here on a rotation working at Dubai Drydocks, my company put me in the ascot. Remember having a "job and knock" on a Friday (forgetting what a Friday really is in the Middle East), about 5 of us decided to pop into Waxy's for a dirty pint with the coveralls on at around 3pm...hells bells. Some tart puked on my mate after 30seconds, outstanding
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
............ RIP.

Not forgetting Thatcher's which was before Waxy's when it was the Dubai Marine Hotel.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.
They are indeed.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Seaview ...... top drawer! Gay bass player (female).... ooft!

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:09 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Seaview ...... top drawer! Gay bass player (female).... ooft!

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?
Cyclone?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:15 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Waxy's brunch...truckers scran and 5 pints 50aed back in the day.

People falling all over the place by 3pm..

When I first came out here on a rotation working at Dubai Drydocks, my company put me in the ascot. Remember having a "job and knock" on a Friday (forgetting what a Friday really is in the Middle East), about 5 of us decided to pop into Waxy's for a dirty pint with the coveralls on at around 3pm...hells bells. Some tart puked on my mate after 30seconds, outstanding
My 1st friday in Dubai was a brunch in Double Deckers where I had my 1st 2nd and 10th Jaegerbomb followed by Waxy's. Pulled some girl on the Dancefloor and went to the Ascot for a bottle of wine, remember sitting there watching 2 females one playing the piano and 1 the violin......Mate had put me up in the Pano so went there alone for last orders, the waxy's bird was on the phone in tears as bank machine had ate her card. Paid her cab and gave he 500 until she could get to bank - Never saw her again.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
My 1st friday in Dubai was a brunch in Double Deckers where I had my 1st 2nd and 10th Jaegerbomb followed by Waxy's. Pulled some girl on the Dancefloor and went to the Ascot for a bottle of wine, remember sitting there watching 2 females one playing the piano and 1 the violin......Mate had put me up in the Pano so went there alone for last orders, the waxy's bird was on the phone in tears as bank machine had ate her card. Paid her cab and gave he 500 until she could get to bank - Never saw her again.
I did the usual deal with her............ 350 for me, 150 for her..............
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:42 am