Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Waxy O'Connor's.............

Waxy O'Connor's.............

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:49 pm
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waxy O'Connor's.............

............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.
The Dean is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:15 am
  #2  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,617
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.
I found this out the hard way, by turning up. It's now a Goan restaurant / bar and shit.
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:27 am
  #3  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Waxy's brunch...truckers scran and 5 pints 50aed back in the day.

People falling all over the place by 3pm..

When I first came out here on a rotation working at Dubai Drydocks, my company put me in the ascot. Remember having a "job and knock" on a Friday (forgetting what a Friday really is in the Middle East), about 5 of us decided to pop into Waxy's for a dirty pint with the coveralls on at around 3pm...hells bells. Some tart puked on my mate after 30seconds, outstanding
commander is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:10 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,132
jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.
Not forgetting Thatcher's which was before Waxy's when it was the Dubai Marine Hotel.
jackthehat is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:14 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,536
mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.
mentalist is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:34 am
  #6  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,617
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.
They are indeed.
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:05 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,285
jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Seaview ...... top drawer! Gay bass player (female).... ooft!

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?
jam25mack is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:09 am
  #8  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Seaview ...... top drawer! Gay bass player (female).... ooft!

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?
Cyclone?
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:15 am
  #9  
Shark Fisherman
 
britexpat76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 4,567
britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by commander View Post
Waxy's brunch...truckers scran and 5 pints 50aed back in the day.

People falling all over the place by 3pm..

When I first came out here on a rotation working at Dubai Drydocks, my company put me in the ascot. Remember having a "job and knock" on a Friday (forgetting what a Friday really is in the Middle East), about 5 of us decided to pop into Waxy's for a dirty pint with the coveralls on at around 3pm...hells bells. Some tart puked on my mate after 30seconds, outstanding
My 1st friday in Dubai was a brunch in Double Deckers where I had my 1st 2nd and 10th Jaegerbomb followed by Waxy's. Pulled some girl on the Dancefloor and went to the Ascot for a bottle of wine, remember sitting there watching 2 females one playing the piano and 1 the violin......Mate had put me up in the Pano so went there alone for last orders, the waxy's bird was on the phone in tears as bank machine had ate her card. Paid her cab and gave he 500 until she could get to bank - Never saw her again.
britexpat76 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:09 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
My 1st friday in Dubai was a brunch in Double Deckers where I had my 1st 2nd and 10th Jaegerbomb followed by Waxy's. Pulled some girl on the Dancefloor and went to the Ascot for a bottle of wine, remember sitting there watching 2 females one playing the piano and 1 the violin......Mate had put me up in the Pano so went there alone for last orders, the waxy's bird was on the phone in tears as bank machine had ate her card. Paid her cab and gave he 500 until she could get to bank - Never saw her again.
I did the usual deal with her............ 350 for me, 150 for her..............
The Dean is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:42 am
  #11  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Seaview ...... top drawer! Gay bass player (female).... ooft!

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?
Were you thinking of iBO - was next to the Millennium and was knocked down to build the metro. It was run by the guys behind 9714 and FiveGreen...

Great guys and the best club in Dubai (then or since)
Autonomy is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:31 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
AppleMac's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Marina
Posts: 62
AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.
It certainly is - just overrun with pushy african hookers nowdays
AppleMac is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:34 am
  #13  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Were you thinking of iBO - was next to the Millennium and was knocked down to build the metro. It was run by the guys behind 9714 and FiveGreen...

Great guys and the best club in Dubai (then or since)
I loved the iBO.
commander is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:35 am
  #14  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,617
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by AppleMac View Post
It certainly is - just overrun with pushy african hookers nowdays
Grabbing your cock before you've told them you aren't interested is quite pushy, I agree.
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:38 am
  #15  
Shark Fisherman
 
britexpat76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 4,567
britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Grabbing your cock before you've told them you aren't interested is quite pushy, I agree.
Those words 'Ehlooo Baybeee' haunt me.
britexpat76 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.