British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Waxy O'Connor's............. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/waxy-oconnors-789200/)

The Dean Mar 2nd 2013 5:49 pm

Waxy O'Connor's.............

............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down :o although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 3rd 2013 2:15 am

Re: Waxy O'Connor's.............

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10579395)
............ RIP.

I only learned today that it had closed down :o although it must have been a while ago (a new place has opened there).........

I was thinking earlier of the places that have enjoyed something of a legendary status among expats over the years, but which are now gone - Cyclone of course, The Bunker, the Rattlesnake and Red Lion when Mr Habtoor knocked down the Metropolitan Hotel - and Waxy's. If Good Fellas closes, it really will be the end.

The York is safe enough I'm sure.............. Mr Haider seems to be doing well.

I found this out the hard way, by turning up. It's now a Goan restaurant / bar and shit.

commander Mar 3rd 2013 2:27 am

Waxy's brunch...truckers scran and 5 pints 50aed back in the day.

People falling all over the place by 3pm..

When I first came out here on a rotation working at Dubai Drydocks, my company put me in the ascot. Remember having a "job and knock" on a Friday (forgetting what a Friday really is in the Middle East), about 5 of us decided to pop into Waxy's for a dirty pint with the coveralls on at around 3pm...hells bells. Some tart puked on my mate after 30seconds, outstanding

jackthehat Mar 3rd 2013 3:10 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10579395)
............ RIP.

Not forgetting Thatcher's which was before Waxy's when it was the Dubai Marine Hotel.

mentalist Mar 3rd 2013 3:14 am

The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.:)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 3rd 2013 3:34 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10579923)
The Dubai Marine Club at Seaview Hotel with its fantastic Filipino rock band is still functioning I believe.:)

They are indeed.

jam25mack Mar 3rd 2013 6:05 am

Seaview ...... top drawer! Gay bass player (female).... ooft!

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?

Kix Mar 3rd 2013 6:09 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10580051)

What was the indy/90's/student union style club? It was knocked down apparently. Think it was around Bur Dub / Oud Metha...?

Cyclone?

britexpat76 Mar 3rd 2013 6:15 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10579894)
Waxy's brunch...truckers scran and 5 pints 50aed back in the day.

People falling all over the place by 3pm..

When I first came out here on a rotation working at Dubai Drydocks, my company put me in the ascot. Remember having a "job and knock" on a Friday (forgetting what a Friday really is in the Middle East), about 5 of us decided to pop into Waxy's for a dirty pint with the coveralls on at around 3pm...hells bells. Some tart puked on my mate after 30seconds, outstanding

My 1st friday in Dubai was a brunch in Double Deckers where I had my 1st 2nd and 10th Jaegerbomb followed by Waxy's. Pulled some girl on the Dancefloor and went to the Ascot for a bottle of wine, remember sitting there watching 2 females one playing the piano and 1 the violin......Mate had put me up in the Pano so went there alone for last orders, the waxy's bird was on the phone in tears as bank machine had ate her card. Paid her cab and gave he 500 until she could get to bank - Never saw her again.

The Dean Mar 3rd 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10580065)
My 1st friday in Dubai was a brunch in Double Deckers where I had my 1st 2nd and 10th Jaegerbomb followed by Waxy's. Pulled some girl on the Dancefloor and went to the Ascot for a bottle of wine, remember sitting there watching 2 females one playing the piano and 1 the violin......Mate had put me up in the Pano so went there alone for last orders, the waxy's bird was on the phone in tears as bank machine had ate her card. Paid her cab and gave he 500 until she could get to bank - Never saw her again.

I did the usual deal with her............ 350 for me, 150 for her..............

Autonomy Mar 3rd 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10580051)

Were you thinking of iBO - was next to the Millennium and was knocked down to build the metro. It was run by the guys behind 9714 and FiveGreen...

Great guys and the best club in Dubai (then or since)

AppleMac Mar 3rd 2013 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10579923)

It certainly is - just overrun with pushy african hookers nowdays :thumbdown:

commander Mar 3rd 2013 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10580144)
Were you thinking of iBO - was next to the Millennium and was knocked down to build the metro. It was run by the guys behind 9714 and FiveGreen...

Great guys and the best club in Dubai (then or since)

I loved the iBO.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 3rd 2013 8:35 am

Originally Posted by AppleMac (Post 10580195)
It certainly is - just overrun with pushy african hookers nowdays :thumbdown:

Grabbing your cock before you've told them you aren't interested is quite pushy, I agree.

britexpat76 Mar 3rd 2013 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10580201)
Grabbing your cock before you've told them you aren't interested is quite pushy, I agree.

Those words 'Ehlooo Baybeee' haunt me.