British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Watches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/watches-694367/)

Blue Cat Nov 22nd 2010 6:59 am

Watches

As I prepare to put two designer watches up on Dubizzle, Gucci and another brand I can't remember, it made me think why did I think it was so important to buy them in the first place? I have two D+G watches which were 400 dh each and I love them just as much if not more than I did the designer ones.

discuss :)

norsk Nov 24th 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Watches

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8996305)
As I prepare to put two designer watches up on Dubizzle, Gucci and another brand I can't remember, it made me think why did I think it was so important to buy them in the first place? I have two D+G watches which were 400 dh each and I love them just as much if not more than I did the designer ones.

Designer watches? Errmm..no thanks! Think cheap japanese oem watch branded to be from an international designer. Never worth it (unless of course they were decently priced like your D&G jobbies). Sometimes you can buy the same watch with different brands as well.

Premium brand watches however. If you can afford it, then yes please. :thumbup:

Ronnie Biggs Nov 24th 2010 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9002116)
Designer watches? Errmm..no thanks! Think cheap japanese oem watch branded to be from an international designer. Never worth it (unless of course they were decently priced like your D&G jobbies). Sometimes you can buy the same watch with different brands as well.

Premium brand watches however. If you can afford it, then yes please. :thumbup:

Agreed. Most of the "designer" stuff is cheap tat with an "expensive" label. Watches for chavs. Go cheap and practical or "top notch" and special every time.

commander Nov 25th 2010 1:44 am

I have lots of sports watches that I wear for everyday use.

I have 3 good watches that I wear out. These are not particularly branded or expensive but were given to me as gifts from very special people.

I have had one for 30 years. My uncle had to hide it up his ass in Vietnam.

Blue Cat Nov 25th 2010 2:11 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9002644)
I have lots of sports watches that I wear for everyday use.

I have 3 good watches that I wear out. These are not particularly branded or expensive but were given to me as gifts from very special people.

I have had one for 30 years. My uncle had to hide it up his ass in Vietnam.

Interesting ....:p

Oyibopeppeh Nov 25th 2010 2:56 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9002644)
My uncle had to hide it up his ass in Vietnam.

Someone's been watching too much Tarantino :ohmy:

co durham boy Nov 25th 2010 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8996305)

I have a Omega Speedmaster automatic chronograph and an I.W.C Schaffhausen Portofino .

Also a Swatch watch and a casio G shock , go cheap or splash out and get a premium timepiece , it will last a lifetime.

The old saying is sometimes true , "Watch , shoes and Handshake"...!

nottmbantam Nov 25th 2010 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9002872)
I have a Omega Speedmaster automatic chronograph and an I.W.C Schaffhausen Portofino .

Also a Swatch watch and a casio G shock , go cheap or splash out and get a premium timepiece , it will last a lifetime.

The old saying is sometimes true , "Watch , shoes and Handshake"...!

Almost the same here - Omega Seamaster Professional and Casio G Shock. Swatch are nice, but can't find a water resistant one up to 200M, so I agree with the advice - cheap n cheerful or top end.

I love watches, always have to look in watch shops - but really do not like the 'fashion' watches, Armani, Dior etc etc - just never appealed.