British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Wasabi rice crackers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/wasabi-rice-crackers-877902/)

DXBtoDOH May 24th 2016 6:44 am

Wasabi rice crackers
 
I know some people on here are always on the hunt for them.

They were spotted at Carrefour MoE last night in the Japanese food section where all the ethnic foods are.

mission May 24th 2016 7:21 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 
totally RANK!:sick:

Millhouse May 24th 2016 7:25 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11954941)
totally RANK!:sick:

you don't know how to live.

mission May 24th 2016 7:28 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11954943)
you don't know how to live.

wasabi is truly disgusting.....on the same par as marmite :sick:

Scamp May 24th 2016 8:35 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11954944)
wasabi is truly disgusting.....on the same par as marmite :sick:

Agreed.

Scamp May 24th 2016 8:59 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Decade (Post 11954986)
You two are probably referring to horseradish which is a different plant generally used as a substitute for wasabi, due to the scarcity of the wasabi plant.


genuine Wasabi is fantastic

Nope.

mission May 24th 2016 10:30 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Decade (Post 11954986)
You two are probably referring to horseradish which is a different plant generally used as a substitute for wasabi, due to the scarcity of the wasabi plant.


genuine Wasabi is fantastic



Nope.....however what I do love is the pickled ginger you get in the sushi places

Rubydo May 24th 2016 11:42 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 
If you mix wasabi with the soy sauce you get at sushi places then it's not too bad, as in way more soy than wasabi

Scamp May 25th 2016 4:36 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Decade (Post 11955138)
My point was that chances are, you’ve never actually eaten real wasabi, not at a restaurant and certainly not on a rice cracker

Real wasabi tastes more herbal than the cheap horseradish concoction. It’s hot but doesn’t have a lingering, burning aftertaste. It tastes smoother, cleaner and more “plant-like” than its commonly used substitute. The horseradish paste served in restaurants is harsher and not as fresh-tasting.

MY point was that I have and I didn't enjoy it.

I hope that's sufficient.

Meow May 25th 2016 9:06 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Decade (Post 11955138)
My point was that chances are, you’ve never actually eaten real wasabi, not at a restaurant and certainly not on a rice cracker

Real wasabi tastes more herbal than the cheap horseradish concoction. It’s hot but doesn’t have a lingering, burning aftertaste. It tastes smoother, cleaner and more “plant-like” than its commonly used substitute. The horseradish paste served in restaurants is harsher and not as fresh-tasting.


You are right. What people generally get is ersatz wasabi. Very different. It's like saying that nasty instant coffee is the same as properly made real coffee.

Of course there is always the amusement in seeing the unwary adding far too much of the harsh stuff to their food. :lol:

Millhouse May 25th 2016 9:58 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 
I like the harsh stuff.

I also like oven chips.

Bahtatboy May 25th 2016 10:03 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 
Freshly grated is great.

Rubydo May 25th 2016 10:09 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 
Going off on a tangent slightly , I have a friend who can't eat anything hotter than vinegar! :rofl:

Scamp May 25th 2016 10:37 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11955820)
I like the harsh stuff.

I also like oven chips.

Couldn't tell you the last time I had oven chips. I miss them.

Steak and sweet potato tonight. Can't wait.

Bahtatboy May 25th 2016 10:42 am

Re: Wasabi rice crackers
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11955847)
Couldn't tell you the last time I had oven chips. I miss them.

Steak and sweet potato tonight. Can't wait.

Had really decent turkey and steak last night (8 of us ate out, and we shared -- I was the wrong end of the table to get any tagine, but apparently it was too salty, as usual), but bloody French cooking so barely a veg in sight, and certainly no potatoes, sweet or otherwise. You've got to have potatoes in some form with steak. :(


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:30 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.