British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Warning about Take-Away's ...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/warning-about-take-aways-614917/)

Smoochy Girl Jun 15th 2009 9:37 am

Warning about Take-Away's ......

In case you didn't hear about this:

quote:

A terribly sad story has just come about a colleague of mine. Like 3 weeks ago when a young sharjah girl passed away from food poisioning, this colleague had both her children die over the weekend, also of food poisioning. They ordered chinese take out from a restaurant near the airport and by 9pm all of them were sick. They went to the hospital, but were sent home being told that all would be ok. By the next day both the 5 and 7 year olds had died.

unquote

Turns out the restaurant involved was The Lotus Garden........ and The National has an article this morning which scared the shi* out of me; turns out that most places here SWITCH OF THEIR FRIDGES to save electricity overnight :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thank God we're veggies in this house and we do NOT order junk food of any sort. To lose two kids like that - My God ................. how sad :(

shiva Jun 15th 2009 9:42 am

Re: Warning about Take-Away's ......

to be fair if a fridge is switched off at night and the door is closed it wont cool down that much.
The issue here with food poisoning is the personal hygiene of the staff either due to a lack of knowledge and proper training or poor facilities.
Transmittance of disease is inevitable in a place where people are forced into extremely high density housing with substandard hygiene facilities combined with an ignorance of basic food handling techniques its a miracle were not all dead

Smoochy Girl Jun 15th 2009 9:45 am

Well whatever it is, I've always hated take-aways and most restaurants and this confirms I'm right. I even make my own bread most of the time - just a little fad of mine I'm afraid........... oh and another reason why I hate taxis !!

YUK !

NorthernLad Jun 15th 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7665902)
Well whatever it is, I've always hated take-aways and most restaurants and this confirms I'm right. I even make my own bread most of the time - just a little fad of mine I'm afraid........... oh and another reason why I hate taxis !!

YUK !

Sounds more like you have OCD to me.

lionheart Jun 15th 2009 10:24 am

Maybe the paper meant that the freezers had been switched off?
And I would like to know which hospital sent them home.

Meow Jun 15th 2009 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7665886)
In case you didn't hear about this:

quote:

A terribly sad story has just come about a colleague of mine. Like 3 weeks ago when a young sharjah girl passed away from food poisioning, this colleague had both her children die over the weekend, also of food poisioning. They ordered chinese take out from a restaurant near the airport and by 9pm all of them were sick. They went to the hospital, but were sent home being told that all would be ok. By the next day both the 5 and 7 year olds had died.

unquote

Turns out the restaurant involved was The Lotus Garden........ and The National has an article this morning which scared the shi* out of me; turns out that most places here SWITCH OF THEIR FRIDGES to save electricity overnight :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thank God we're veggies in this house and we do NOT order junk food of any sort. To lose two kids like that - My God ................. how sad :(

Such a sad story. Said on the radio that the mother is very ill too & the 'restaurant' is in Al Qusais.

Food hygiene standards in many places leave a lot to be desired. :thumbdown:

-

NorthernLad Jun 15th 2009 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7666000)

Food hygiene standards in many places leave a lot to be desired. :thumbdown:

-

Didn't 500+ places get shut down in Sharjah last week after another child dies from food poisoning?

Meow Jun 15th 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7666004)
Didn't 500+ places get shut down in Sharjah last week after another child dies from food poisoning?

Something like that. A child definitely died. I posted a link to the news story last week.

I guess part of it is a lack of knowledge about storing and preparing food, but the consequences are dreadful. I think the larger hotels are safer though.

:(

-

Smoochy Girl Jun 15th 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7665988)
Sounds more like you have OCD to me.

No I assure you, I don't. But I dislike dirty people, BO and filthy hands and teeth. And that's all I've seen in most of the food halls who provide take-aways around here. And the taxi drivers?? Well I have no idea what they're like here, but I know damn well that in Abu Dhabi you had to stop breathing in those white and gold taxis ....... they really, really ponged :eek::eek:

And you expect me to eat food handled by such people?? Sorry - I know too much about cooking to risk it :o

Smoochy Girl Jun 15th 2009 10:53 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7665996)
Maybe the paper meant that the freezers had been switched off?
And I would like to know which hospital sent them home.

you can read the story in the national here:

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...49865/1010/rss

It looks like they went to the New Medical Centre at 5:00 A.M., re-hydrated and given antibiotics and told to go home provided they come back if vomiting or diarrhoea starts. The mother returned with the kids at 3 in the afternoon but the boy was dead?? Why didn't she take them in earlier - perhaps she was too sick herself?

Oh dear, this is truly terrible!

Jim Smith Jun 15th 2009 11:31 am

[QUOTE=Meow;7666012]. I think the larger hotels are safer though.

Greetings from Tianjin, China! Fantastic weather.

Just thought I had to add a little comment here.

The worst food poisoning I have ever experienced was from the old well known 5 star hotel next to the Trade Centre! When I arrived 24 years ago I was scrubbing my newly hired villa in Old Quarry Park and after showering and hopefully removing any nasties picked up in the villa I went across for the buffet! 40 Dhms in those days! Boy did I suffer for two days. Never had a problem in Satwa tho!

seven seas Jun 15th 2009 1:34 pm

I couldn't finish the story this morning. Horrible.

I won't be goign anywhere near the NMC in teh future.

Smoochy Girl Jun 15th 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 7666564)
I couldn't finish the story this morning. Horrible.

I won't be goign anywhere near the NMC in teh future.

OK Which news paper to believe?? The Gulf News reports it totally different as in the boy was already dead when they first arrived at NMC :confused: I tend to believe the national and of course the original post came from a friend of the family.

I've put in the American Hospital into my GPS in case or emergency - though it's miles and miles away ......... :eek:

FunnyFeline Jun 15th 2009 2:56 pm

It really makes you think. Thanks for posting this Smooch! It is certainly a wake-up call...!
:(

Smoochy Girl Jun 15th 2009 3:31 pm

Come to think of it - how can the Gulf News mention that the mother and daughter were immediately put into ICU?? New Medical Centre do not have an emergency clinic let alone an ICU :frown:

scary :eek: