British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Warned about my behaviour....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/warned-about-my-behaviour-699017/)

The Dean Jan 3rd 2011 2:08 pm

Warned about my behaviour.......

........... on the Metro. :huh:

Fell asleep.

Awoken (with a rather rigorous prodding of my shoulder) by the conductor-guard-lady to be told that 'sleeping not permission'. Next time, she said, she would call the nearest policeman.

Just checked the list of "Dos and Don'ts" and it's a AED 300 fine ["Sleeping in the waiting areas, shelters or any place in a public transport environment"].

Sorry........... :o

Alexa Jan 3rd 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Warned about my behaviour.......

I feel this warrants a witty, funny and sarcastic response...but for the life of me, I can't come up with one (Befuddled brain, have the 'flu)

Squirty Cream Jan 3rd 2011 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9074281)

Fell asleep.

Awoken (with a rather rigorous prodding of my shoulder) by the conductor-guard-lady to be told that 'sleeping not permission'. Next time, she said, she would call the nearest policeman.

Just checked the list of "Dos and Don'ts" and it's a AED 300 fine ["Sleeping in the waiting areas, shelters or any place in a public transport environment"].

Yeah, but it was because you had slumped over and your face was in that bloke's lap and dribbling out the side of your mouth - if you'd just dozed off discreetly you would have got away with it.

Bahtatboy Jan 3rd 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream (Post 9074480)
Yeah, but it was because you had slumped over and your face was in that bloke's lap and dribbling out the side of your mouth - if you'd just dozed off discreetly you would have got away with it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Blue Cat Jan 4th 2011 3:16 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9074281)

Fell asleep.

where the hell do they think up these laws from!! you can't help but laugh at them :p

The Dean Jan 4th 2011 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9075706)
where the hell do they think up these laws from!! you can't help but laugh at them :p

On reflection, I'm assuming the rule is intended to apply to sleeping overnight (e.g. on a bench on a station platform, etc).

Perhaps another passenger complained - the one Squirty referred to, for example..........

Tommy All Call Jan 4th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9075821)
On reflection, I'm assuming the rule is intended to apply to sleeping overnight (e.g. on a bench on a station platform, etc).

Yeah don't you hate it when they create a law to stop one thing then use it on other things? I know I do

Norm_uk Jan 4th 2011 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Tommy All Call (Post 9075822)
Yeah don't you hate it when they create a law to stop one thing then use it on other things? I know I do

That applies to a third of all laws!

"The more laws and regulations you make, the more criminals you create"

N.

lionheart Jan 4th 2011 5:36 am

A friend who regularly catches the 6am train from Rashidiya says that 10% of the passengers are usually asleep by the time she reaches Deira City Centre, so you are not the only one, Deano.

Tommy All Call Jan 4th 2011 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9075843)

Exactly, the fewer laws on the books, the better

Spugsy Jan 4th 2011 5:42 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9075852)
A friend who regularly catches the 6am train from Rashidiya says that 10% of the passengers are usually asleep by the time she reaches Deira City Centre, so you are not the only one, Deano.

yep there are always people asleep on there at 6.30 as well.

Tommy All Call Jan 4th 2011 5:48 am

So I understand the law was created to keep bums from sleeping at bus stops and other public places and now they are using it on people who are just nodding off while waiting for a bus? Ya just gotta hate people sometimes, especially Cops, Board Moderators and just about any other form of the constabulary.

bakedbean Jan 4th 2011 7:17 am

Geez... so what happens if you pass out? Do they just slap a fine on your inert body?

Squirty Cream Jan 4th 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9075843)

"The more laws and regulations you make, the more criminals you create"

N.

Would you be leaning towards being a libertarian then?

seven seas Jan 4th 2011 2:19 pm

Sleeping in plain view of the general public?

I know there's be saracstic comments if there were construction workers asleep all over the place, lyign down on the cool tiles.