VPN - fines

Old Jul 31st 2016, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: VPN - fines

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I am hoping the VPN ban will bring back the DVD Boy. I used to love when Dong came to visit in AD. His business was decimated by downloads.
I haven't seen or heard of one of these in years.

Kept me sane in the company apartment when I first moved here.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 12:17 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am hoping the VPN ban will bring back the DVD Boy. I used to love when Dong came to visit in AD. His business was decimated by downloads.
Wasn't there a Chinese lady who did the same, but also offered to exercise her bishop’s finger?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read:

Using VPN: What UAE residents need to know | GulfNews.com
Old Aug 4th 2016, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

I had to do some research on this. I personally don't think it worth the enormous risk of using VPN anymore and certainly not just for the sake of watching Eastenders. This was what I had to say about it! UAE VPN Warning
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Chance of getting busted is slim.. but it's a new law and they're going to be looking to make a few examples.

Good timing by Du... just in time to sell you the football package before the EPL kicks off..

Pub it is then 😋
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Chance of getting busted is slim.. but it's a new law and they're going to be looking to make a few examples.

Good timing by Du... just in time to sell you the football package before the EPL kicks off..

Pub it is then 😋
just in time to sell you the football package that has increased 25pct in price since last season
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Pub it is then 😋
It's not a new law.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

pick a word longer than three letters that fits... your choice
Old Aug 5th 2016, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

pick a word longer than three letters that fits... your choice
Correct?
Old Aug 5th 2016, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

It's not a new law.
pick a word longer than three letters that fits...
Old Aug 5th 2016, 1:45 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 6th 2016, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ah, bless you. you're a sensitive one.

It's not a new law. VPNs have been illegal for years. Maybe the word you were looking for is revised.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

ah, bless you. you're a sensitive one.

It's not a new law. VPNs have been illegal for years. Maybe the word you were looking for is revised.
As far as I can make out (clarity seems to be in short supply unsurprisingly), the revision has only increased the fine/sentence for using a VPN for criminal means, otherwise nothing else has changed?

Therefore, as I only use a VPN simply to watch UK TV (honest guv), which is not a criminal activity under UAE law (I don't think), I should not have any issues in continuing?

You also don't need a VPN to use Skype (I remember you used to have to, many years ago) so can't see any issues there either?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
As far as I can make out (clarity seems to be in short supply unsurprisingly), the revision has only increased the fine/sentence for using a VPN for criminal means, otherwise nothing else has changed?

Therefore, as I only use a VPN simply to watch UK TV (honest guv), which is not a criminal activity under UAE law (I don't think), I should not have any issues in continuing?

You also don't need a VPN to use Skype (I remember you used to have to, many years ago) so can't see any issues there either?
As you say, clarity is lacking. But...
I think watching the BBC is unlikely to be prosecuted.
For skype - you are correct you don't need to use a VPN for skype-skype calls, but they do still block skype-landline/mobile calls. Using a VPN to get around that blockage could, as far as I can tell, be classed by TRA as a crime and therefore prosecutable under the revised law.
I don't know where the burden of proof (of criminal usage) lies. Depending upon the technology you use, it can be hard for the authorities to tell what you are using your VPN to do (that, after all, is part of the point of them). So I don't know whether there is a risk that you use a VPN for innocent purposes (eg online banking), but end up being prosecuted and then made to prove that you were using it for such a non-criminal activity - which could be hard to do. Or do the authorities need to prove both that you were using a VPN, and that it was for criminal purposes? I'd rather not be a test case!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
As you say, clarity is lacking. But...
I think watching the BBC is unlikely to be prosecuted.
For skype - you are correct you don't need to use a VPN for skype-skype calls, but they do still block skype-landline/mobile calls. Using a VPN to get around that blockage could, as far as I can tell, be classed by TRA as a crime and therefore prosecutable under the revised law.
I don't know where the burden of proof (of criminal usage) lies. Depending upon the technology you use, it can be hard for the authorities to tell what you are using your VPN to do (that, after all, is part of the point of them). So I don't know whether there is a risk that you use a VPN for innocent purposes (eg online banking), but end up being prosecuted and then made to prove that you were using it for such a non-criminal activity - which could be hard to do. Or do the authorities need to prove both that you were using a VPN, and that it was for criminal purposes? I'd rather not be a test case!
Indeed, I wouldn't want to be the example but surely they're seeking someone doing something rather more serious than watching the BBC iPlayer, but stranger things have happened...

I think I'll risk it though, there are a couple of series coming up that I want to watch that they don't show here (can't name them as I fear my username will be cancelled on BE and I'll be transferred across to Abu Dhabi or Expat Woman), and there'll be another in November..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.