VPN ADVICE PLEASE

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Smile VPN ADVICE PLEASE

It's 3 weeks now till I arrive in Dubai - can't wait. Please can you help me with VPN. Some articles that I have read suggest that I should get/download VPN first in the UK others say wait till you get to Dubai. Who in your opinion is the best VPN provider and would you get it organised in the UK or Dubai?

Also is it better to change sterling in Dubai or Scotland?

Lastly - any advice or is there anything I cannot get in Dubai that I should bring?

I know that you have probably answered these questions a million times but I would really appreciate if you could spare a few seconds and answer them again.
HUGE thanks silversilver
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VPN ADVICE PLEASE

Might be worth having a search around....

But anyway, VPN, google it, then read the reviews of the top few and get one, before you're in the UAE....or search any of the other countries on BE and find recommendations themselves, because you won't openly find them in the ME section in case they get blocked.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Smile Re: VPN ADVICE PLEASE

Originally Posted by Bob
Might be worth having a search around....

But anyway, VPN, google it, then read the reviews of the top few and get one, before you're in the UAE....or search any of the other countries on BE and find recommendations themselves, because you won't openly find them in the ME section in case they get blocked.
Thanks so much Bob, that makes sense - not being able to openly find them in the ME - I'm a numpty!starsmile:
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:05 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver
It's 3 weeks now till I arrive in Dubai - can't wait. Please can you help me with VPN. Some articles that I have read suggest that I should get/download VPN first in the UK others say wait till you get to Dubai. Who in your opinion is the best VPN provider and would you get it organised in the UK or Dubai?

Also is it better to change sterling in Dubai or Scotland?

Lastly - any advice or is there anything I cannot get in Dubai that I should bring?

I know that you have probably answered these questions a million times but I would really appreciate if you could spare a few seconds and answer them again.
HUGE thanks silversilver
I'll PM you some details. The authorities frequently read these boreds and so posting details of them can lead to them getting banned/blocked, or at the very least, strangled to the point where they're useless.

I've been using the one I'll PM since I got here over two years ago. Used with the program I sent details of through, I can easily stream BBC HD/US shows/Netflix.

In more techie terms, the difference is around 0.8Mbps using the VPN with Windows/OSX's in built VPN clients, and around 5.5-8Mbps with this one.

It'll cost you around $9 (£6 ish) for the program (one off) and £6 a month for the UK VPN. I also pay for a US VPN too and get access to sites like Hulu and the US Netflix (which is amazing in comparison to the UK one).

Last edited by auzdafluff; Aug 3rd 2012 at 7:11 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Avon_Lady is an unknown quantity at this point

Could I be cheeky and ask you to copy your PM to me too?

I am about 3 weeks out of arriving in Qatar and just logged in to ask the very same question!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I'll PM you some details. The authorities frequently read these boreds and so posting details of them can lead to them getting banned/blocked, or at the very least, strangled to the point where they're useless.
Have we any hard evidence of this?

The TRA know exactly what VPN traffic looks like on their network. It's not impossible for them to throttle this without them going to the effort of reading these boards for tips on what VPNs to ban.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:09 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Have we any hard evidence of this?

The TRA know exactly what VPN traffic looks like on their network. It's not impossible for them to throttle this without them going to the effort of reading these boards for tips on what VPNs to ban.
Luckily for us, it's not the traffic they look out for. It's the port numbers the traffic is using.

And from speaking to some of the guys at Du when I was on the magazine, they told me they do. Not often, but every so often (once every six months or so), they'll come on, search for VPN and then add those to the list.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:15 am
You read these things?

Just to demonstrate.

VPN off...

VPN on...

VPN through my OS X client would be around 1.5Mbps.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Boogie Woogie works nicely for me.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 5th 2012 at 1:25 pm. Reason: snip the name
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:08 am
You read these things?

Originally Posted by mentalist
<snip> works nicely for me.
Won't for long

Last edited by Bob; Aug 5th 2012 at 1:25 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Won't for long
Really, please tell.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:23 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the VPN paranoia here, if the UAE was really serious about stopping their use here they would.
Its not the work of a master cyber sleuth to detect these type of VPN providers. Also of course there are so many companies operating their own *legitimate* VPN internally.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I don't get the VPN paranoia here, if the UAE was really serious about stopping their use here they would.
Its not the work of a master cyber sleuth to detect these type of VPN providers. Also of course there are so many companies operating their own *legitimate* VPN internally.
That's my point too! They know VPN traffic on their network.

I guess you hint at the problem - they can't block it all without screwing the legit ones. I'm just about to log in to my (completely unthrottled) work one.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:28 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you hint at the problem - they can't block it all without screwing the legit ones. I'm just about to log in to my (completely unthrottled) work one.
If you take a harsh attitude you just block all the ports associated and this kills all vpns, so I imagine they just block the IP addresses. Fairly temporary solution as most of the providers will then mail you the new server address if one is blocked.

As long as people want to bypass restrictions there will always be a way to do it.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's why they don't block the ports, killing them all.

It does happen though, but what tends to happen is blocking the site of these VPN's, making it hard to renew service if you haven't got a rolling debit going rather than actually having the service killed off to you.