Visitors....

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:03 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitors....

Originally Posted by Theseus
Its one week out of a long old life. If i can afford to treat friends and family to a holiday they might otherwise not be able to afford then i will. However i can see how it could be a bit disappointing when they really don't do anything to show their gratitude.
It's not just the lack of gratitude by the sound of this case: it's a complete failure to consider the imposition they are making (leaving dishes to be washed and such), treating your home as a free hotel and abusing you as the unpaid staff (even while you are working also and they are sat around all day)...

But I agree with others, the failure to bring Duty Free is the unforgivable early warning sign.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I wouldn't take them out. They can only eat what I have in the cupboards and they wouldn't get topped up -
I can see it now:

Day 8 in the Millhouse house. There's no food left. We've eaten the last cereal bar and ramen noodles. They're terrible hosts, we've resorted to drinking tap water and haven't left our room in 3 days. They won't take us anywhere. They say the Ranches is the best bit of Dubai. Last night we heard them having a party downstairs...they didn't invite us.

Happy Holidays!
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
It's not just the lack of gratitude by the sound of this case: it's a complete failure to consider the imposition they are making (leaving dishes to be washed and such), treating your home as a free hotel and abusing you as the unpaid staff (even while you are working also and they are sat around all day)...

But I agree with others, the failure to bring Duty Free is the unforgivable early warning sign.
That just isn't on. Any of it.

Our visitors are given instructions to go via Duty Free and are told to help themselves and to make themselves feel at home, but by that I expect them to clear up after themselves too. Failure to do so, would mean a word or two would be had. (One set of inlaws leaving cups, plates next to the empty dishwasher is an irritant, but a few comments and loud plate rattling set that straight.)

We've had issues from visitors forgetting that we work from home, with work being the operative word. I offer to order cabs for them so they go out and do their own thing.

Freeloaders are not welcome, but I am also happy to treat people. It's their attitude that matters. I think we've been very lucky, or we just have decent friends and family, as no one has really taken the piss. If they did, they wouldn't ever come back.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Freeloaders are not welcome, but I am also happy to treat people. It's their attitude that matters. I think we've been very lucky, or we just have decent friends and family, as no one has really taken the piss. If they did, they wouldn't ever come back.
That's the thing. My best mate surprised me for my birthday last year....he couldn't afford the flight so got it off his parents for his birthday (3 days before mine). To me, forgoing presents and all that sort of thing to surprise a mate (and bringing 4litres) is a gesture enough to warrant being able to do what you want.

He still insisted on paying half of everything, up until I told him that our bar tab at the Irish Village was 190 quid (or soemthing like that) and that I'd get it!! hahahahaa
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Its one week out of a long old life. If i can afford to treat friends and family to a holiday they might otherwise not be able to afford then i will. However i can see how it could be a bit disappointing when they really don't do anything to show their gratitude.
Don't worry , once they've been to Doha they'll not be coming back in a hurry
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
That's the thing. My best mate surprised me for my birthday last year....he couldn't afford the flight so got it off his parents for his birthday (3 days before mine). To me, forgoing presents and all that sort of thing to surprise a mate (and bringing 4litres) is a gesture enough to warrant being able to do what you want.

He still insisted on paying half of everything, up until I told him that our bar tab at the Irish Village was 190 quid (or soemthing like that) and that I'd get it!! hahahahaa

Awww. At least he tried to pay his way and wasn't after freebies. If visitors aren't flush with funds, it's easy enough to tailor entertainment to a budget.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Awww. At least he tried to pay his way and wasn't after freebies. If visitors aren't flush with funds, it's easy enough to tailor entertainment to a budget.
Of course.

I've returned the favour though. He's coming to work for us in 12 days.

4,000 referral fee for Scamp.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:39 am
Account Closed

The other one that annoys me is when people ask if you've got an entertainer voucher for Wild Wadi / Aquaventure / etc...for when their friends are here.

Err, yeah, I have. But I'll be using it. Now piss off.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:09 pm
Bored liberal

The other one that annoys me is when people ask if you've got an entertainer voucher for Wild Wadi / Aquaventure / etc...for when their friends are here.

Exactly.

Mind you, that many people want something for nothing that there are times when I think I might as well register myself as a charity...
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Don't worry , once they've been to Doha they'll not be coming back in a hurry
You would think that wouldn't you? but my annoying friend who came over here is threatening to come back as she had such a good time!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

Mind you, that many people want something for nothing that there are times when I think I might as well register myself as a charity...

You really remind me of my darling mum
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and visitors smell after three days, according to an Arabic proverb,
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

there are a lot of people who don't use them though and it's a shame to bin them, I swap with friends, works out well
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:11 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

You would think that wouldn't you? but my annoying friend who came over here is threatening to come back as she had such a good time!!!
She is an Idiot.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I like the American 2 day rule. As they say...even fish go off after 2 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.