Visit to Oman

Old Jul 5th 2017, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visit to Oman

Hello you all,

I will be visiting Oman towards month end, might decide to stay for the weekend.

Any suggestion on a good hotel with good night life..?

I have never been to Oman, so any suggestion will be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit to Oman

Muscat?

The Chedi is the pick of the bunch apparently although I've only stayed in the Crowne Plaza which is also quite nice. Shangri La on the coast is also meant to be boss. Not sure of any of the newer opened places.

You'll struggle to find much in the way of night life though, although if you're used to Jeddah everywhere will be awesome.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Muscat?

The Chedi is the pick of the bunch apparently although I've only stayed in the Crowne Plaza which is also quite nice. Shangri La on the coast is also meant to be boss. Not sure of any of the newer opened places.

You'll struggle to find much in the way of night life though, although if you're used to Jeddah everywhere will be awesome.

Enjoy.
Thanks for that......agreed ANYTHING is better than Jeddah
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charl01
Thanks for that......agreed ANYTHING is better than Jeddah

Err- not its not. Try living in dry and dusty Riyadh.

We had a few days in Oman over the Eid Break, stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and I've also heard good thing about The Chedi. Thought about Shangri La but it's a little too far out of town for my liking. If you manage to get out for a meal, would suggest Kargeen , nice place.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Shangri-La is awesome (have stayed there) but like NOTTM says above it is out in the sticks and there certainly isn't any night life.
The only club that i've been to in Muscat was the one next to the Grand Hyatt, i think it's called Copacabana - was well funny when i went....never seen locals in their dishdash dancing....although it was full of hookers.
The Grand Hyatt was nice to stay in.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:16 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Shangri-la is lovely but it's a good 45 -60 minutes drive beyond the airport. The Chedi is one of those 'marmite' places, you either love it or hate it and, personally, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to stay there. The Crowne Plaza has one of the best views in town and, despite being probably one of the oldest hotels in town is still a good bet and fairly central if you want to visit, say, both the Grand Mosque and Muttrah Souq.

Would you be driving or flying and, if flying, would you be considering hiring a car?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hnd
Shangri-la is lovely but it's a good 45 -60 minutes drive beyond the airport. The Chedi is one of those 'marmite' places, you either love it or hate it and, personally, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to stay there. The Crowne Plaza has one of the best views in town and, despite being probably one of the oldest hotels in town is still a good bet and fairly central if you want to visit, say, both the Grand Mosque and Muttrah Souq.

Would you be driving or flying and, if flying, would you be considering hiring a car?
What makes it like 'marmite'? I've considered staying at the Chedi as it looks fab!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:54 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
What makes it like 'marmite'? I've considered staying at the Chedi as it looks fab!
It has a lousy beach; it's still marginally underneath the flight path; not impressed with the food - I expect more than a couple of artfully arranged slices of scallop and some leaves on a plate for something approaching 100dh; there is absolutely nothing else near the hotel so, unless you have a car or are prepared to take taxis (most of which are still unmetered) you're stuck there. Yes, the gardens are beautiful and it looks idyllic it's just that we found the entire experience totally underwhelming... and an overpriced underwhelming at that.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought The Chedi is a lovely hotel , i enjoyed it when i stayed there , yes there's a lot of hotels of that type now but decent place
Saying that i was living in Doha at the time so it was like an escape from a junkies flat !
Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I thought The Chedi is a lovely hotel , i enjoyed it when i stayed there , yes there's a lot of hotels of that type now but decent place
Saying that i was living in Doha at the time so it was like an escape from a junkies flat !
You wouldn't appreciate now you're a ranches dweller mate.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You wouldn't appreciate now you're a ranches dweller mate.
Wrought iron gates now in Mirador , keeps the riff raff and Al Reem social climbers out !
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt a couple of years ago and it was great, although I remember it being quite pricey and the beach wasn't great.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a "Rock Bottom" in Muscat, was it at the Intercon? I can't recall.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:54 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
There used to be a "Rock Bottom" in Muscat, was it at the Intercon? I can't recall.
Down the hill from the Crown Plaza.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Going back a few years now but the British pub in the Intercontinental was quite lively last time I was there, decent live band.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.