British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Visa runs during Ramadan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/visa-runs-during-ramadan-683311/)

Spugsy Aug 30th 2010 7:20 am

Visa runs during Ramadan

Anyone know if the Oman border dudes are only open for certain hours at all?

Can't find a contact number anywhere.

Thanks all.

Purdey Aug 30th 2010 8:59 am

Re: Visa runs during Ramadan

Sorry, can't answer your question but do you have to pass through any border controls to get to and from Hatta Fort Hotel?
Thanks.

Spugsy Aug 30th 2010 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Sessou (Post 8812795)
Sorry, can't answer your question but do you have to pass through any border controls to get to and from Hatta Fort Hotel?
Thanks.

yes you do mate, so make sure you all take your passports - also if you are staying at hatta fort you HAVE to have a passport otherwise you can't stay.

Apaprently if the police come and check and people don't have passports the hotel can get into serous trouble as everyone needs to be accounted for - to make sure they're not terrorists.

Spugsy Aug 30th 2010 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8812569)
Anyone know if the Oman border dudes are only open for certain hours at all?

Can't find a contact number anywhere.

Thanks all.

or in other news, where could be cool for me to fly to for the day on my own? cheap flight to Bahrain maybe?

Purdey Aug 30th 2010 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8812819)
yes you do mate, so make sure you all take your passports - also if you are staying at hatta fort you HAVE to have a passport otherwise you can't stay.

Apaprently if the police come and check and people don't have passports the hotel can get into serous trouble as everyone needs to be accounted for - to make sure they're not terrorists.

OK, thanks for that info.
My passport has a Residence Visa so no problem there but my wife is visiting without a visa (UK passport) so do you think she will have any problem going to Hatta Fort Hotel and back? I seem to recall some discussion about not being able to re-enter immediately although I guess that's what you are doing on your visa run.

Is Doha not the alternative visa run destination? I'd go to Muscat if that was an option but that's because I'd like to see the place.

Spugsy Aug 30th 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Sessou (Post 8812882)
OK, thanks for that info.
My passport has a Residence Visa so no problem there but my wife is visiting without a visa (UK passport) so do you think she will have any problem going to Hatta Fort Hotel and back? I seem to recall some discussion about not being able to re-enter immediately although I guess that's what you are doing on your visa run.

Is Doha not the alternative visa run destination? I'd go to Muscat if that was an option but that's because I'd like to see the place.

She will have a visit visa though yeah? When she got to Dubai she will have got a 30 day visa, that is all she needs - we took mrs spugsys parents to hatta fort when they came and that was fine.

The guards have guns as well, so don't freak out, my missus bricks it when she sees them.

typical Aug 30th 2010 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8812823)
or in other news, where could be cool for me to fly to for the day on my own? cheap flight to Bahrain maybe?

Kish Island ;)

Actually I really want to go...

Mogs Aug 30th 2010 11:46 am

We sent 4 visiting indian employees to Kish Island to renew their UAE visit visas recently.....1 of them quit the company within a week of the trip and the 3 others raised formal complaints due to the trip. For some reason they didn't enjoy being put in dormatory style room sharing with 7 others and having to wear full muslim gear from moment of arrival (for the women) - to be fair we, as a company, never told them any of this before we sent them. :o

Spugsy Aug 30th 2010 11:53 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8812942)
Kish Island ;)

Actually I really want to go...

Where's that then?

Spugsy Aug 30th 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 8813131)
We sent 4 visiting indian employees to Kish Island to renew their UAE visit visas recently.....1 of them quit the company within a week of the trip and the 3 others raised formal complaints due to the trip. For some reason they didn't enjoy being put in dormatory style room sharing with 7 others and having to wear full muslim gear from moment of arrival (for the women) - to be fair we, as a company, never told them any of this before we sent them. :o

Happy days for them then, where did they think they were staying? Emirates Palace?

Mogs Aug 30th 2010 11:57 am

Kish is Iran's holiday resort of choice.

typical Aug 30th 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8813150)
Where's that then?

Iran!

http://www.payvand.com/news/06/nov/K...rsian-Gulf.jpg

But you don't need a visa to visit...

Bigtaff Aug 30th 2010 1:50 pm

BUT its dry as a bone there for Alcohol, so I'm told. Not sure how accurate that is but my mate was there on a business trip recently and they had to source black market stuff. $100 for a bottle of Jack Daniels!! He was in the company of millions from Iran so they didn't bat an eyelid when paying for it! That and the female company for the evening plus a few blue triangles :)

Bigtaff Aug 30th 2010 1:52 pm

By the way, my girl friend used to do Visa runs to the other bit of Oman when she first came here, the small one up by Ras Al Khaimah. It may be closer and take a lot less time? Not sure if you're just wanting the Visa stamp or a day out too......

typical Aug 30th 2010 2:44 pm

Musandam, a gorgeous place...