British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The villas over here then (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/villas-over-here-then-600581/)

Spugsy Mar 29th 2009 11:24 am

The villas over here then

Serious right, are they built of brick??

I ask this as this is my 2nd villa where if you try and drill a bloody hole to put up a curtain rail or suchlike it just goes everywhere, its like drilling into ****ing cottage cheese,

I had a look at some semi built villas on the way to work and they seem to be just breeze blocks, this can;t be the case can it? then maybe covered in concrete or something?

commander Mar 29th 2009 11:28 am

Re: The villas over here then

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7431470)

I ask this as this is my 2nd villa where if you try and drill a bloody hole to put up a curtain rail or suchlike it just goes everywhere, its like drilling into ****ing cottage cheese,

I had a look at some semi built villas on the way to work and they seem to be just breeze blocks, this can;t be the case can it? then maybe covered in concrete or something?

sharp drillbit, correct speed??

still.unsure Mar 29th 2009 11:30 am

there's a 3 storey apartment block going up next to the compound i'm on and it's all breeze blocks. (the big cement bricks? --> can tell am not in construction! :o ) with rebar/concrete for the supporting columns, but everything else...

MacScot Mar 29th 2009 11:35 am

Use hammer drill bit on slow speed and push in gently if it is breezeblock...too high a speed and pushing hard, you will lose control of the drill bit's direction...

commander Mar 29th 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7431495)
Use hammer drill bit on slow speed and push in gently if it is breezeblock...too high a speed and pushing hard, you will lose control of the drill bit's direction...

thanks for stealing my thunder, i was waiting for his attention, then i was going to deliver the full technical appraisel of how to drill a hole in the wall.:D

Oh, and make sure you use rawl plugs

commander Mar 29th 2009 11:43 am

oh, and get some masking tape and an old spinneys bag, or similar:D. tape the bag to the wall below where you have expertly aligned the hole using your mark one eyeball.

All the shoite falls into the bag and not the floor/skirting board/sideboard/bed.

Saves your wife a job cleaning up after you

MacScot Mar 29th 2009 11:58 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7431501)
thanks for stealing my thunder, i was waiting for his attention, then i was going to deliver the full technical appraisel of how to drill a hole in the wall.:D

Oh, and make sure you use rawl plugs

Agreed...tight-fitting rawl plugs needed otherwise they will rotate as you screw ! :eek:

I used to get the OH to suck with a vacuum cleaner hose/tube near the point of drilling...that way there is no mess at all !

Spugsy Mar 29th 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7431481)
sharp drillbit, correct speed??

aye all good, but even at our place there's 4 sets of holes where curtain rails were. BIG holes.

Blue Cat Mar 29th 2009 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7431520)
oh, and get some masking tape and an old spinneys bag, or similar:D. tape the bag to the wall below where you have expertly aligned the hole using your mark one eyeball.

All the shoite falls into the bag and not the floor/skirting board/sideboard/bed.

Saves your wife a job cleaning up after you

:eek:

shiva Mar 29th 2009 12:07 pm

amateurs ;)
http://www.dustbubble.com/index.html

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...%20bubble1.jpg

MacScot Mar 29th 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7431575)
aye all good, but even at our place there's 4 sets of holes where curtain rails were. BIG holes.

If you do end up with an oversized hole, you can partially fill it with a hard-setting plaster (get it from ACE in a tube), put it in your hole and insert a tight-fitting rawl plug. Leave for 24-hours or overnight to harden, then screw the next day.

LOL...I just re-read that in a different light and its sounds perverted :eek:

MacScot Mar 29th 2009 12:08 pm

Nah...you still get a little mess when you pull the drill bit out..hoovers the way to go !

shiva Mar 29th 2009 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7431593)
Nah...you still get a little mess when you pull the drill bit out..hoovers the way to go !

ok ok, for those insistent on getting all the dust. Fold the top of an envelope over the wrong way (sticky bit) and stick to wall below hole, open envelope slightly so as to catch the dust. Job done no mess

commander Mar 29th 2009 12:22 pm

i find the spinneys bag to be the tried and tested way, or indeed the centre spread of a previous 7 days issue

shiva Mar 29th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7431620)
i find the spinneys bag to be the tried and tested way, or indeed the centre spread of a previous 7 days issue

true, however the last time i put masking tape near a wall here it took all the shite paint off when i removed it. I should have bloody left it there, would have doubled the walls strength