Vietnam

Old Dec 15th 2019, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vietnam

(There isn't a particular "bored" for the country so I thought I'd ask my learned colleagues here).

I've just had a discussion with a company I worked for previously (on a fixed contract), who have now asked me to do something similar as I did in Abu Dhabi but based in Ho Chi Minh for an initial 2 year contract. Now I've been there once albeit very briefly, and did touristy type things, has anyone from here worked there? If so what's the lifestyle like? I'm kinda guessing Singapore but a lot, lot more basic, even below BKK.

The role is setting up a software office for a US Co. I'm not too bothered about finances, more lifestyle the number of Westerners there, the economy, that sort of stuff - although a dollar a beer sounds good too.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Old Dec 15th 2019, 11:58 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vietnam

It might be worth asking on the Malaysia forum. The ‘bored’ isn’t all that active but we have quite a few friends here in KL who have work connections in HCMC - somebody may be able to help.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

strat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a year on and off in Vietnam, but out of Vungtau, commissioning equipment on and offshore. Eventually married a Vietnamese girl, been back many, many times over the years (pretty much every year for the last 15 or so). People are very friendly and HCMC is a lively, pleasant place to be, good food, good coffee houses etc... was and probably is considered a 'dream' location for many oil/gas types (like me). As you'd imagine tends to be bureaucratic and at times slow, but there's a genuine concern to get things right with the resources at hand. I went there after working in the USA, following stints in Egypt and Malaysia, thoroughly enjoyed it. These days not sure the number of expat westerners but the economy from what I see and read is doing quite well.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
It might be worth asking on the Malaysia forum. The ‘bored’ isn’t all that active but we have quite a few friends here in KL who have work connections in HCMC - somebody may be able to help.
Will do hnd, thanks

Originally Posted by strat
Spent a year on and off in Vietnam, but out of Vungtau, commissioning equipment on and offshore. Eventually married a Vietnamese girl, been back many, many times over the years (pretty much every year for the last 15 or so). People are very friendly and HCMC is a lively, pleasant place to be, good food, good coffee houses etc... was and probably is considered a 'dream' location for many oil/gas types (like me). As you'd imagine tends to be bureaucratic and at times slow, but there's a genuine concern to get things right with the resources at hand. I went there after working in the USA, following stints in Egypt and Malaysia, thoroughly enjoyed it. These days not sure the number of expat westerners but the economy from what I see and read is doing quite well.
Thanks strat, that was pretty much what I'd heard too - love the bit about the economy and the "can-do" attitude. Cheers.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Quite a few people in my organisation have done stints there, we've had a number of projects over the years, particularly in HCMC.

All, without exception, loved it. Hard work, sweaty, frustrating at times but fundamentally nothing out of the ordinary with here. All loved it and many would go back.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Quite a few people in my organisation have done stints there, we've had a number of projects over the years, particularly in HCMC.

All, without exception, loved it. Hard work, sweaty, frustrating at times but fundamentally nothing out of the ordinary with here. All loved it and many would go back.
Cheers young fella, I'm only getting positive comments, so something must be right.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Cheers young fella, I'm only getting positive comments, so something must be right.
Not just the usual - cheap beer and fags type stuff either. Yes, cost of living is very low compared but the regional access is superb, the general quality of life was never something that concerned them either.

If you go for it, best of luck and enjoy
Old Dec 16th 2019, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not just the usual - cheap beer and fags type stuff either. Yes, cost of living is very low compared but the regional access is superb, the general quality of life was never something that concerned them either.

If you go for it, best of luck and enjoy
Do not expect HCMC in any way like Bangkok. It is a long way behind.
I loved living in Vietnam (Tuy Hoa) nr Nha Trang. My husband (working) hated it. Reason was corruption. For me Vietnamese food is much better than Thai food.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Do not expect HCMC in any way like Bangkok. It is a long way behind.
I loved living in Vietnam (Tuy Hoa) nr Nha Trang. My husband (working) hated it. Reason was corruption. For me Vietnamese food is much better than Thai food.
HCMC, in my opinion, is miles nicer than Bangkok.
Nha Trang is an absolute paradise but certainly 'remote' compared to the likes of HCMC I'd say.
Agree on the food.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers everyone, off for a scoping week mid Jan, hopefully full time a month - 6 weeks later.

Onwards and upwards.