British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Very odd, a GOOD retail/service experience in Dubai !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/very-odd-good-retail-service-experience-dubai-888892/)

TheShed Dec 16th 2016 12:51 am

Very odd, a GOOD retail/service experience in Dubai !!

I am shocked. After having so many sub-par retail experiences in Dubai over the years I can say that I am truly pleased and surprised after my interaction today.

A few weeks ago I had to buy some new sunglasses because my sight is not what it was and I need vision correction for driving, along with a reading element for looking at my computer when on the bike. Ultra expensive progressive varifocals it is then! Went on the optician, got tested and parted with the best part of aed3k for said glasses.

Roll forward 6 weeks and walking out of the lift at work, glasses slip from my head, meet marble floor and now comprise three distinct parts. I really don't want to part with another 3k before Xmas.

Call credit card company to check on purchase protection insurance and get treated to amazing on phone service which results in the CC company arranging for insurer (U.K. Based) to call me in the afternoon. Said phone call occurs and the outcome? MR Shed, please go to the shop and ask if they can repair or if not, order a new set - no questions, no messing around, just do it.

Go back to Magrabi on Palm, explain situation, Fella says no problem, here is the identical frame, 10mins to swap the lenses. Pay with same credit card and call insurance. Claim settled by phon and new purchase transaction credited by insurance on the same day.

Bonus? I can superglue the old frame, put the new non prescription lenses in and I have a spare pair for nonDriving activities. A very happy Shed today.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2016 4:31 am

Re: Very odd, a GOOD retail/service experience in Dubai !!

That's very impressive.

I had one with Apple. Booked appointment, went in. 7mins waiting. Asked woman question about the screen, she said it was a rare but unfortunate fault, apologised, new phone, out in sub 15mins I reckon.

Some companies really can do this stuff properly. :thumbup:

jam25mack Dec 18th 2016 5:34 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12130232)
Bonus? I can superglue the old frame, put the new non prescription lenses in and I have a spare pair for nonDriving activities. A very happy Shed today.

Check out that new plastic welding (UV cured) stuff.

Will last a lot longer than superglue. A kind of as strong as originally fix.

mission Dec 18th 2016 6:44 am

glad things are SLOWLY improving on the customer services side of things.
I've had 3 frigging sports wireless headphones replaced within 6 months of buying them and the shop will not simply give me a refund so that I can go and buy another brand - clearly this particular one (JBL) is shyte.
By the way SHED I been going to Al Qudra and doing the 20km cycling trek for the past couple of Fridays....I'm booked again for next Friday....do you splash on any kind of sun protection? Believe it or not I was actually sun burnt on my arm (was wearing a t-shirt) after last Friday's session and so I've now brought SPF 100 protection:eek:

TheShed Dec 18th 2016 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12131692)
glad things are SLOWLY improving on the customer services side of things.
I've had 3 frigging sports wireless headphones replaced within 6 months of buying them and the shop will not simply give me a refund so that I can go and buy another brand - clearly this particular one (JBL) is shyte.
By the way SHED I been going to Al Qudra and doing the 20km cycling trek for the past couple of Fridays....I'm booked again for next Friday....do you splash on any kind of sun protection? Believe it or not I was actually sun burnt on my arm (was wearing a t-shirt) after last Friday's session and so I've now brought SPF 100 protection:eek:

I don't ever wear sunscreen. I know I probably should but just never bother.

mission Dec 18th 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12131716)
I don't ever wear sunscreen. I know I probably should but just never bother.

do you cycle around the whole track, which I think is around 60km or something, right?

TheShed Dec 18th 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12131722)
do you cycle around the whole track, which I think is around 60km or something, right?

Yes. My normal Friday is the whole 86km. Up Al Qudra street, round the loop and back down al Qudra street. If I'm feeling super healthy I do the 20km or 28km extension as well

I must be mad at my age.

mission Dec 18th 2016 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12131753)
Yes. My normal Friday is the whole 86km. Up Al Qudra street, round the loop and back down al Qudra street. If I'm feeling super healthy I do the 20km or 28km extension as well

I must be mad at my age.

:eek::eek: that's amazing SHED....I could probably go past the 20km, but I tend to get bored and so the 20km stretch is just right for me.
How long does it take you to do the full loop? And do you have company?

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2016 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12131753)

I must be mad at my age.

Especially as you've got a car. :ohmy:

Made in Sheffield 1 Dec 19th 2016 8:50 am

Ordered a (proper) bacon Caesar salad from Fibbers to be delivered to the office.
Was told it would take 35 minutes, it came in 30.

Slightly dubious of how much there would be. Must have been about 4 big rashers in it, lots of cheese and the dressing was lovely.
Now have a nice full belly and want to fall asleep.

Not much in the grand scheme of things but it made me happy anyway :)

DXBtoDOH Dec 19th 2016 9:18 am

With some decent training you should be able to do the 49 km look in under two hours on a regular bike (faster if you have a proper cycling bicycle).
It's not that hard. The ascents are mild.

You could build up to it. The loop is marked every 5 or so km so you can pace yourself and you could do a 10k out, 10k back, then 15k out, 15k back and eventually in a month or so go for the full loop.

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12131722)

TheShed Dec 19th 2016 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12132356)
With some decent training you should be able to do the 49 km look in under two hours on a regular bike (faster if you have a proper cycling bicycle).

You could build up to it. The loop is marked every 5 or so km so you can pace yourself and you could do a 10k out, 10k back, then 15k out, 15k back and eventually in a month or so go for the full loop.

Good advice that. Also, if you start at the bottom of "the stick" it's 18km slightly uphill to the cafe area, take a break and then ride back down, slightly downhill. That's got you up to 36km already. First time you attempt the loop, do it anti-clockwise (past Bab Al Shams on the way out) as it give you an easier start and very long gradual hills with a nice down hill 10kms into the finish.

mission Dec 20th 2016 9:16 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12132356)

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12132394)
Good advice that. Also, if you start at the bottom of "the stick" it's 18km slightly uphill to the cafe area, take a break and then ride back down, slightly downhill. That's got you up to 36km already. First time you attempt the loop, do it anti-clockwise (past Bab Al Shams on the way out) as it give you an easier start and very long gradual hills with a nice down hill 10kms into the finish.

Thanks folks, but I'm not sure I'd be up for going past 20km...it takes me just under an hr to do 20km and I'm done (mentally) by that point.

Made in Sheffield 1 Dec 21st 2016 8:57 am

When I first opened a bank account, I signed up for internet banking but, very stupidly, forgot my username.

I've been putting off calling them for weeks but finally took the plunge today.
Waited a few minutes to talk to a very nice lady who went through all the steps with me. Five minutes later, online banking is up and running.

I'm still in a state of shock.