British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Venting Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/venting-thread-823017/)

kittycat1 Jan 27th 2014 12:46 pm

Re: Venting Thread

The first time I went to New York was with a good girl friend for a 5 day stay. We were staying in a self service apartment. Prior to the trip we had planned loads so note my surprise when she tells me she only has 500 quid for the entire trip. I was livid, it was my first holiday for several years and I was stuck with a penny pincher. I ended up paying for her loads but was thoroughly pissed off to be doing so and to be honest it was a real blight on my trip. I'm normally pretty laid back and am generous to a fault, but I was so upset that she had travelled all that way to tell me oh I can't afford to do that and would expect me to go on my own or pay for her- bare in mind I was on low pay at the time and had saved for a long time to go so could not afford to be paying for two.

I had something similar on a long weekend to Dublin with another girlfriend, again first holiday in a long time and I was so annoyed.

Note why I now travel on my own.

Both experiences left me feeling resentful and pissed off and not enjoying myself as I was simmering inside, so the moral to my story is, Ok so she's claiming poverty, you earn a decent salary so swallow it, enjoy the time with your sister and make the most of it, life is too short to worry about shit like that. You can afford it don't let it piss you off. If she is pissing you off because of too much of each other then I'm sure that's probably going two ways so give each other space, my tolerance is 3 days with my family before I have the urge to maim them, less with my brother, so I am sure she would appreciate some time to herself- cinema is a good option even if you go together but at least you don't have to talk but don't let money be something that causes rows, it really isn't worth it.

kittycat1 Jan 27th 2014 12:56 pm

britexpat76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
I think the market for 'plumpers' is a bit restricted, even in Dubay.

She will be fine, Rock bottom at 10 to 4 nobody goes home empty handed.
Today 5:31 pm
weasel decentral
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewot View Post
I think the market for 'plumpers' is a bit restricted, even in Dubay.

I think you are overestimating male standards a bit. That's not an offer by the way.
You would think all the men on here are complete adonises...

Irishbeekeeper Jan 27th 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 11098836)
I believe in making guests feel welcome, I also think that when you’re staying in someone else’s home you have to eat what they eat, buy in groceries, help out with dishes, laundry, tidying and you take your host out for drinks/dinner. You’re not in a hotel you have to pull your weight and show your appreciation for the free lodgings. Staying with relatives might be cheap holiday, but it shouldn't be a free one!

THIS! thats what gets me about my brother in law. He really thinks he is living in a hotel, and since he is my wife's brother, I cant go happy gilmore on his big head!!!! :frown::frown:

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11098757)
I have my little brother coming next Saturday and having not listened to me he decided to fly Saturday to Sunday as against including 2 fridays - meaning I have to have more time off at a time we are spastic busy. I will take the Sunday, thursday and last saturday off but I have no idea what to let him do on the Mon/Tues and weds I am at work. Thinking I may just chuck him some keys to a car and let him go walkabout........... Least in Dubs they can self entertain during the day.

:beer: Guinness Please.

bud for me please
and if you think he isnt likely to run over someone then I think just give him the keys to f around for a bit, would be time well spent for both parties involved mate

weasel decentral Jan 27th 2014 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11099004)

:D Aren't they ?

My point was that her being a bit overweight wouldn't be a big issue for most guys. Surely this shows that guys are not superficial types looking for supermodels but in fact care about the real person instead...

...either that or that they will try shag anything.

Irishbeekeeper Jan 27th 2014 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11098987)
so the moral to my story is, Ok so she's claiming poverty, you earn a decent salary so swallow it, enjoy the time with your sister and make the most of it, life is too short to worry about shit like that. You can afford it don't let it piss you off. If she is pissing you off because of too much of each other then I'm sure that's probably going two ways so give each other space, my tolerance is 3 days with my family before I have the urge to maim them, less with my brother, so I am sure she would appreciate some time to herself- cinema is a good option even if you go together but at least you don't have to talk but don't let money be something that causes rows, it really isn't worth it.

see, I get what your saying and agree with you as well
but that feeling of taking your generosity for granted gets me
the other person should atleast try and make an effort, or atleast say thankyou once in a while, bleah..i dont know!

kittycat1 Jan 27th 2014 2:30 pm

Beekeeper, if it was every weekend yes I'd have an issue, ok knowing she's not skint could wind you up but is it worth falling out over? Let it go I say and just enjoy her company, I'm pretty sure that everything scamp spends his money on is not an essential purchase so spend a bit of it on your family instead of whatever he normally blows it on . No harm done and he gets to enjoy the time with his sister if he just accepts it rather than watching the pennies tot up and feeling bitter about every last one- you can't take it with you.

Irishbeekeeper Jan 27th 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11099164)
Beekeeper, if it was every weekend yes I'd have an issue, ok knowing she's not skint could wind you up but is it worth falling out over? Let it go I say and just enjoy her company, I'm pretty sure that everything scamp spends his money on is not an essential purchase so spend a bit of it on your family instead of whatever he normally blows it on . No harm done and he gets to enjoy the time with his sister if he just accepts it rather than watching the pennies tot up and feeling bitter about every last one- you can't take it with you.

oh no, sorry, I was speaking for myself, not for scamp's issue
hey thats his sister, not the in-laws, I wouldnt even know where to begin with the advice man :starsmile:
god knows my sister and I cant get together either, but it has come to the point of agreeing to not spend too much time with each other, and that way we are always having fun when we do meet, for short periods of time
so when she visits with her litter of pups (coming June for a month!!!!! :frown::frown:), we have mutually decided to just get her a nice 1 bed on short term and bobs your uncle

and you are SO right about not being able to take it with you
sort of the basics of what my religion teaches me :)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 28th 2014 3:37 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11098987)
The first time I went to New York was with a good girl friend for a 5 day stay. We were staying in a self service apartment. Prior to the trip we had planned loads so note my surprise when she tells me she only has 500 quid for the entire trip. I was livid, it was my first holiday for several years and I was stuck with a penny pincher. I ended up paying for her loads but was thoroughly pissed off to be doing so and to be honest it was a real blight on my trip. I'm normally pretty laid back and am generous to a fault, but I was so upset that she had travelled all that way to tell me oh I can't afford to do that and would expect me to go on my own or pay for her- bare in mind I was on low pay at the time and had saved for a long time to go so could not afford to be paying for two.

I had something similar on a long weekend to Dublin with another girlfriend, again first holiday in a long time and I was so annoyed.

Note why I now travel on my own.

Both experiences left me feeling resentful and pissed off and not enjoying myself as I was simmering inside, so the moral to my story is, Ok so she's claiming poverty, you earn a decent salary so swallow it, enjoy the time with your sister and make the most of it, life is too short to worry about shit like that. You can afford it don't let it piss you off. If she is pissing you off because of too much of each other then I'm sure that's probably going two ways so give each other space, my tolerance is 3 days with my family before I have the urge to maim them, less with my brother, so I am sure she would appreciate some time to herself- cinema is a good option even if you go together but at least you don't have to talk but don't let money be something that causes rows, it really isn't worth it.

You're right.

Whenever I go back she puts me up in Southampton because it's easier to see mates from there and lets them stay with me etc. Alright I don't do anything but sleep there and chat to her, it's still something she doesn't have to do.

I've just been wound up by the "I've only got a little money" which she's admitted is bollocks, she's probably got more than me. But then the bullshit excuse of not wanting to put weight back on that she's lost - I saw her a month ago, she hasn't lost any.

Ah **** it. I'm going to spoil her, she's always looked after me in a big sister / second mother sort of way so I shouldn't complain. 25 years of her being decent and helping me out.

What a difference a good night's sleep makes eh.

TheShed Jan 28th 2014 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11100160)
You're right.

Whenever I go back she puts me up in Southampton because it's easier to see mates from there and lets them stay with me etc. Alright I don't do anything but sleep there and chat to her, it's still something she doesn't have to do.

I've just been wound up by the "I've only got a little money" which she's admitted is bollocks, she's probably got more than me. But then the bullshit excuse of not wanting to put weight back on that she's lost - I saw her a month ago, she hasn't lost any.

Ah **** it. I'm going to spoil her, she's always looked after me in a big sister / second mother sort of way so I shouldn't complain. 25 years of her being decent and helping me out.

What a difference a good night's sleep makes eh.

Don't spoil her too much Scamp - you owe us all beers now :p

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 28th 2014 3:56 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11100166)
Don't spoil her too much Scamp - you owe us all beers now :p

It's a bugger, it's coinciding nicely with car renewal stuff;

1900 Insurance
4400 fines (I know...)

February is going to hurt my savings pot. :thumbdown:

UKCityGent Jan 28th 2014 4:06 am

Why dont you set up her on blind-dates ?

- Get rid of her during the evenings and possibly night

- She gets to see the sights of Dubai and possibly a few other things

- Maybe something to blackmail her later during arguments

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 28th 2014 4:16 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 11100181)
Why dont you set up her on blind-dates ?

- Get rid of her during the evenings and possibly night

- She gets to see the sights of Dubai and possibly a few other things

- Maybe something to blackmail her later during arguments

I don't know anyone interested in a blind date who deserves that punishment.

Meow Jan 28th 2014 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11100189)
I don't know anyone interested in a blind date who deserves that punishment.

Think a bit harder. Internet forums are full of desperate lonely people...

flares Jan 28th 2014 7:03 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11099004)

:wave:

weasel decentral Jan 28th 2014 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11100279)
Think a bit harder. Internet forums are full of desperate lonely people...

If that isn't a ringing testimonial for this board, I don't know what is ;)