Venting Thread

Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Venting Thread

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's almost exactly two weeks away but I'm already getting nervous about my sister coming.

It's for her 30th, she's not visited me yet. She's been to Fujairah before but that was working, so has seen nothing of Dubai.

This was sort of forced on me, so she got something special for her 30th...

The problem is, she's chalk and I'm cheese. She's a lovely human being and extremely pleasant, but just isn't quite on this planet in some areas.

Like me, she carries a little timber, well, a bit more than me. She's not a monster or huge or anything, but she seems to think that Michael Buble is waiting to whisk her off her feet. She claims to have lost a load of weight, but whenever I'm spending time with her, all she does is eat. Random shit, like slices of bread and butter, or that hateful soreen(?) cake shit. Don't moan about being fat and do nothing about it.

Now, that's all quite materialistic and shallow. As I said, we're chalk and cheese, she's an engineer but cannot apply logic to the real world. She told me she's got a budget of 200 quid for 11 days in Dubai. I told her not to ****ing come. I got told by Mum she was coming. I told Mum I KNOW she has much more money than that. I got told that was none of my business.

I asked when she was coming. She didn't know. She actually replied to my email with a question mark, nothing else.

Mum had to give me dates so I can book some time off work.

I then got to the bottom of the 'i've got no money' bullshit charade, she has got money to spend and does want to have fun, but doesn't want to eat and drink loads and put all this weight back on - Fair enough.

So, she found the Desert Road Run...it just so happens to be 8 hours AFTER she flies home. It took four emails each to get that message across.

My sister isn't stupid, selfish, horrible, nasty, unhelpful, mean. She's actually really nice. I think we are just polar opposites and wind each other up by just being ourselves. She's too much like my Mum, I'm too much like my Dad.

I've got two weeks until she's here and then I've got 11 or 12 days with her. I'm definitely going to consider a brother/sister slap (they're allowed) at some point, I know it. BUT, then I've got my MUm on skype saying I need to be nice, it's her 30th and I've only got on big sister (she ignores my two step-sisters) and have to look after her. Then I Feel like a massive **** for moaning about her.

I'm just going to treat her like a moron and take her everywhere and show her shiny lights and hope she enjoys it.

Serious first world vent problem from hell. If you've read this far I'll buy you a beer.
Good luck! I'll pass on the beer as I think you'll need it more than me.

Surely she doesn't expect you to subsidise her? GBP 200 is nothing unless she intends to sit around your flat all day.

Oh and she's your sister so you are allowed to moan about her. You can criticise but others can't. That's the rule about family.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Good luck! I'll pass on the beer as I think you'll need it more than me.

Surely she doesn't expect you to subsidise her? GBP 200 is nothing unless she intends to sit around your flat all day.

Oh and she's your sister so you are allowed to moan about her. You can criticise but others can't. That's the rule about family.
I really don't know Meow. She admitted she has more money (I know she does), so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Oh well, this might be me getting all worked up for nothing. Feels good to rant. I copy and pasted that post and emailed it to my Dad (changed a few bits here and there) and he just replied laughing.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:47 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost exactly two weeks away but I'm already getting nervous about my sister coming.

It's for her 30th, she's not visited me yet. She's been to Fujairah before but that was working, so has seen nothing of Dubai.

This was sort of forced on me, so she got something special for her 30th...

The problem is, she's chalk and I'm cheese. She's a lovely human being and extremely pleasant, but just isn't quite on this planet in some areas.

Like me, she carries a little timber, well, a bit more than me. She's not a monster or huge or anything, but she seems to think that Michael Buble is waiting to whisk her off her feet. She claims to have lost a load of weight, but whenever I'm spending time with her, all she does is eat. Random shit, like slices of bread and butter, or that hateful soreen(?) cake shit. Don't moan about being fat and do nothing about it.

Now, that's all quite materialistic and shallow. As I said, we're chalk and cheese, she's an engineer but cannot apply logic to the real world. She told me she's got a budget of 200 quid for 11 days in Dubai. I told her not to ****ing come. I got told by Mum she was coming. I told Mum I KNOW she has much more money than that. I got told that was none of my business.

I asked when she was coming. She didn't know. She actually replied to my email with a question mark, nothing else.

Mum had to give me dates so I can book some time off work.

I then got to the bottom of the 'i've got no money' bullshit charade, she has got money to spend and does want to have fun, but doesn't want to eat and drink loads and put all this weight back on - Fair enough.

So, she found the Desert Road Run...it just so happens to be 8 hours AFTER she flies home. It took four emails each to get that message across.

My sister isn't stupid, selfish, horrible, nasty, unhelpful, mean. She's actually really nice. I think we are just polar opposites and wind each other up by just being ourselves. She's too much like my Mum, I'm too much like my Dad.

I've got two weeks until she's here and then I've got 11 or 12 days with her. I'm definitely going to consider a brother/sister slap (they're allowed) at some point, I know it. BUT, then I've got my MUm on skype saying I need to be nice, it's her 30th and I've only got on big sister (she ignores my two step-sisters) and have to look after her. Then I Feel like a massive **** for moaning about her.

I'm just going to treat her like a moron and take her everywhere and show her shiny lights and hope she enjoys it.

Serious first world vent problem from hell. If you've read this far I'll buy you a beer.
I have my little brother coming next Saturday and having not listened to me he decided to fly Saturday to Sunday as against including 2 fridays - meaning I have to have more time off at a time we are spastic busy. I will take the Sunday, thursday and last saturday off but I have no idea what to let him do on the Mon/Tues and weds I am at work. Thinking I may just chuck him some keys to a car and let him go walkabout........... Least in Dubs they can self entertain during the day.

Guinness Please.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know Meow. She admitted she has more money (I know she does), so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Oh well, this might be me getting all worked up for nothing. Feels good to rant. I copy and pasted that post and emailed it to my Dad (changed a few bits here and there) and he just replied laughing.

Well, you really don't want to upset a big sister but best to let it out rather than have a row when she gets here. Hopefully she'll see that things are expensive and will use some more money of here own. You have to be clear and she surely cannot expect you to pay for everything? Not unless she fancies dinner in Ravi's/KFC/McD's every night with the odd shwarma thrown in.

If she drinks don't forget to tell her to buy some duty free on the way in as there is 30% tax in Dubai and that might get the message over too. If you and L are both working suggest she cooks for you the odd night too. That's fair.

x
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Find somebody to take her to the malls...that should give you a nice breather !
Oh...and Dragon Mart...as she does not have a big budget...
I do not envy you.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Well, you really don't want to upset a big sister but best to let it out rather than have a row when she gets here. Hopefully she'll see that things are expensive and will use some more money of here own. You have to be clear and she surely cannot expect you to pay for everything? Not unless she fancies dinner in Ravi's/KFC/McD's every night with the odd shwarma thrown in.

If she drinks don't forget to tell her to buy some duty free on the way in as there is 30% tax in Dubai and that might get the message over too. If you and L are both working suggest she cooks for you the odd night too. That's fair.

x
She'll be getting the booze instructions, every visitor does!

I'll make sure the mrs does her bit of entertaining. Sister is a pretty good cook so that's a good shout, thanks!

Originally Posted by Alexa
Find somebody to take her to the malls...that should give you a nice breather !
Oh...and Dragon Mart...as she does not have a big budget...
I do not envy you.
Dragon mart...I'm not sure I can do it, she's spent ages before Xmas getting rid of clutter, I think she'd want to buy everything in there.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Try and enjoy it Scamp, I have two brothers neither of them bother with me at all. I am not upset about that as it has been like that for years and years. I have my own family and friends so it is no great loss, but every now and then I think about how it could have been, all I ever wanted was a nice family and everyone happy. I am lucky with cousins though, they are great and two of them have been over here in the last six months.

As for the budget I am sure it will be fine, there is something for everyone in Dubai.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very straight forward with her before she gets here about what to expect the prices of meals, drink etc to be, send her examples if necessary. Also, ask her what she is expecting to do and wants to do when here – it really winds me up when people turn up without a clue and expect to have their hand held and be shown about for their entire stay.

She is your guest, and while I believe in making guests feel welcome, I also think that when you’re staying in someone else’s home you have to eat what they eat, buy in groceries, help out with dishes, laundry, tidying and you take your host out for drinks/dinner. You’re not in a hotel you have to pull your weight and show your appreciation for the free lodgings. Staying with relatives might be cheap holiday, but it shouldn't be a free one!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Try and enjoy it Scamp, I have two brothers neither of them bother with me at all. I am not upset about that as it has been like that for years and years. I have my own family and friends so it is no great loss, but every now and then I think about how it could have been, all I ever wanted was a nice family and everyone happy. I am lucky with cousins though, they are great and two of them have been over here in the last six months.

As for the budget I am sure it will be fine, there is something for everyone in Dubai.
Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I would be very straight forward with her before she gets here about what to expect the prices of meals, drink etc to be, send her examples if necessary. Also, ask her what she is expecting to do and wants to do when here – it really winds me up when people turn up without a clue and expect to have their hand held and be shown about for their entire stay.

She is your guest, and while I believe in making guests feel welcome, I also think that when you’re staying in someone else’s home you have to eat what they eat, buy in groceries, help out with dishes, laundry, tidying and you take your host out for drinks/dinner. You’re not in a hotel you have to pull your weight and show your appreciation for the free lodgings. Staying with relatives might be cheap holiday, but it shouldn't be a free one!
I sent her a spreadsheet (yeah I know) of places to eat, things to see, things to do, watering holes, all sorts of ideas as well as some pencilled in the days she's here about 3 weeks ago.

I'll put some more pressure on seeing what she fancies doing and it should at least set expectations.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else got a vent to get off their chest? We seem a nice helpful bunch today...
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I cant even cope with my own folks for that long
What about your own company?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could get her 'fixed up' so some other poor schmuck helps take the strain a bit
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:44 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Maybe you could get her 'fixed up' so some other poor schmuck helps take the strain a bit
I think the market for 'plumpers' is a bit restricted, even in Dubay.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think the trick with big sis is to show her where the Portuguese rolls are kept and send her to the pool.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:31 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I think you are overestimating male standards a bit. That's not an offer by the way.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:32 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
She will be fine, Rock bottom at 10 to 4 nobody goes home empty handed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.