VAT in Dubai

Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: VAT in Dubai

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
So are booze and 'massage' parlors
And your point is?
But you have a choice to stay away from booze and the like. Death and taxes, however.....

It'll probably be renamed Goods Service Charge or something like that anyway.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

So are booze and 'massage' parlors
And your point is?
Tax is a very public and official government plan. Booze is supposed to only be for expats and massage parlors are just low key businesses and technically just massage parlors.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 8:10 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Tax is a very public and official government plan. Booze is supposed to only be for expats and massage parlors are just low key businesses and technically just massage parlors.
Valid point.
forewarning, im not a scholar or any form of authority on these types of issues. These are only my own opinions.

Taxes is sort of a grey area. If a muslim is living in a non-muslim state then he is under contract to obey the rules and laws of that land and hence he has to do everything that is required by the law, which includes insurance, taxes etc. That much all scholars agree on.
However, if a muslim is living in a muslim state (definition of muslim state pending) then technically he does not need to pay any taxes. Why? Because (definition: ) in a proper muslim state all the muslims are paying zakat, sadqa, khairat etc religiously hence it becomes a true welfare state. BUT..and here is the grey area : Rulers need money to rule as well. The 3 forms of contributions mentioned above usually go directly to the needy only, hence who will pay for the roads, the hospitals, the security inside the country as well as on the borders? The Ruler? Well there has to be a limit to how much he can afford from his own pocket I guess. So if the ruler of the country I live in asks me to pay tax then in my own humble opinion that becomes the law of the land and hence I have to pay it. Btw most muslims I know would gladly pay taxes here than in their own countries as (and I can only speak for the ones that I know) they would trust the system here as most think that the tax system back home has been corrupted so much that the tax money goes into the pockets of the corrupt prime ministers / presidents / ministers / senators than into the government's coffers.
btw I have always wondered why there arent any community schools / colleges / hospitals here where everything is free. Hopefully these taxes being levied would bring some of those things about, maybe?
Old Mar 15th 2017, 8:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
They fudge around it like the Islamic banks and financing, by charging fees instead of interest and similar arrangements.
Most of non gulf Islamic countries have income tax.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
They fudge around it like the Islamic banks and financing, by charging fees instead of interest and similar arrangements.
Most of non gulf Islamic countries have income tax.
I believe they will not introduce income tax. Politically it is difficult (unless locals are not taxed) and expats come because it is tax free on the headline.

Remittance tax however... that's a beautifully tempting tax. Doesn't affect the locals, taxes money as it leaves the economy, if you don't send home then that's ok - it means we managed to take it all away locally anyway.

When that comes, I'll be asking to be paid offshore in USD.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

A remittance tax would be a tax on wire transfers to overseas bank accounts, correct?

In that case, would it still be feasible just to take out large sums in cash and convert into GBP and take it back to the UK every time I fly over? There's probably a cap and above it you'd have to declare? (can't remember) but I'd just make more quickie weekend trips.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I believe they will not introduce income tax. Politically it is difficult (unless locals are not taxed) and expats come because it is tax free on the headline.

Remittance tax however... that's a beautifully tempting tax. Doesn't affect the locals, taxes money as it leaves the economy, if you don't send home then that's ok - it means we managed to take it all away locally anyway.

When that comes, I'll be asking to be paid offshore in USD.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
A remittance tax would be a tax on wire transfers to overseas bank accounts, correct?

In that case, would it still be feasible just to take out large sums in cash and convert into GBP and take it back to the UK every time I fly over? There's probably a cap and above it you'd have to declare? (can't remember) but I'd just make more quickie weekend trips.
No easy to speculate on the possible avoidance schemes for a tax that has yet to be discussed. Although I suspect money laundering isn't going to be fully compliant with the law.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:58 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No easy to speculate on the possible avoidance schemes for a tax that has yet to be discussed. Although I suspect money laundering isn't going to be fully compliant with the law.
pfft! how much cash you want and where? hawala ftw!!
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

hawala ftw!!
Was going to suggest the same. Very competitive rates!