British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   VAT in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/vat-dubai-893792/)

Dubaiexile Mar 12th 2017 2:05 pm

VAT in Dubai

I imagine most have seen this, pretty self explanatory

VAT in UAE: What you need to know | GulfNews.com

Wonder what kind of cock ups are going to happen though, fisticuffs at the checkout in Choitrams!!

Irishbeekeeper Mar 12th 2017 3:33 pm

Re: VAT in Dubai

If you think the streets / malls are deserted now, wait till this comes along!
If they wont allow VAT to be reimbursed on exit from the country then they are making a yuge mistake......YUGE!

Johnnyboy11 Mar 12th 2017 4:07 pm

In four annual hops, the VAT rate will go from 0% to 20%.

You will technically be able to reclaim VAT if you are a tourist, but bureaucracy will be introduced making this unviable.

DXBtoDOH Mar 13th 2017 5:32 am

Tourists can reclaim VAT in the UK but very few bother to do so. And tourists are still shopping the heck out of London.

It will hit the Dubai retail sector but it's too difficult to accurately estimate the degree of the impact.

Inselaffen Mar 13th 2017 7:52 am

Dubai is already overpriced before VAT is added

mission Mar 13th 2017 10:07 am

this is going to be a minefield!!:eek::eek:

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2017 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12203360)
this is going to be a minefield!!:eek::eek:

6 years ago, when I was in UAE, an announcement was made that VAT would be introduced. I was told then not to worry, coz they'd made several such announcement in the preceding 6-8 years. Deja vu...

Miss Ann Thrope Mar 13th 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12203380)
6 years ago, when I was in UAE, an announcement was made that VAT would be introduced. I was told then not to worry, coz they'd made several such announcement in the preceding 6-8 years. Deja vu...

Nothing like as specific and high profile as this announcement though which names the date and is also a GCC-wide project (though that tends to the less likely to ever get their shit together end of the scale in fairness...).

PWC et al are already seriously trawling for business to advise companies on how to cope.

Inselaffen Mar 13th 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12203380)

6 years ago Brent crude was trading at over $100 per barrel

Irishbeekeeper Mar 13th 2017 4:20 pm

I can see the whites in their eyes now, the mascarra has started to run a bit, there are cracks in the makeup
nah, this time its definitely coming

Boomhauer Mar 14th 2017 2:02 am

Isn't tax Haram per Islam?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2017 5:15 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12203246)
Tourists can reclaim VAT in the UK but very few bother to do so. And tourists are still shopping the heck out of London.

It will hit the Dubai retail sector but it's too difficult to accurately estimate the degree of the impact.

I do if I buy something 'big'.

The queue is always pretty large at Heathrow.

Miss Ann Thrope Mar 14th 2017 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12204112)
I do if I buy something 'big'.

The queue is always pretty large at Heathrow.

Has anybody tried the service being advertised on the radio by Al Rostamani Exchange (I think)? Apparently this enables you to reclaim the UK VAT after returning to the UAE, presumably with some hefty deduction of fees.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12204185)
Has anybody tried the service being advertised on the radio by Al Rostamani Exchange (I think)? Apparently this enables you to reclaim the UK VAT after returning to the UAE, presumably with some hefty deduction of fees.

Nope, never heard of it.

Like I say, it's big things only (like my golf clubs). Can't be bothered with a collection of smaller ticket receipts when the admin fees take so much anyway.

Irishbeekeeper Mar 14th 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12204063)
Isn't tax Haram per Islam?

So are booze and 'massage' parlors
And your point is? ;)