British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Valentine's Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/valentines-day-823893/)

Meow Feb 3rd 2014 6:06 am

Valentine's Day
 
I may have posted the same last year, but what a load of overblown, commercialised nonsense. The original concept (declaring your interest by way of an unsigned card) has long been lost in an ocean of heart-shaped crap.

If you really care about someone you can do far better than buying a stuffed bear clutching a heart, a dozen half-dead roses, a vomit-inducing card and going for dinner (with the prices cranked up) in a restaurant full of couples who have nothing to say to each other. Most restaurant staff will tell you it's a horrible evening to be working.

Genuine love has nothing to do with Hallmark card day. It's about day to day gestures and general thoughtfulness. Leave this crap to teenagers and idiots.

Millhouse Feb 3rd 2014 6:17 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 
you don't get many cards, do you?

Meow Feb 3rd 2014 6:20 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 
Don't be a silly Milly. You know it's idiotic.

The Dean Feb 3rd 2014 6:44 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11110135)
I may have posted the same last year, but what a load of overblown, commercialised nonsense. The original concept (declaring your interest by way of an unsigned card) has long been lost in an ocean of heart-shaped crap.

If you really care about someone you can do far better than buying a stuffed bear clutching a heart, a dozen half-dead roses, a vomit-inducing card and going for dinner (with the prices cranked up) in a restaurant full of couples who have nothing to say to each other. Most restaurant staff will tell you it's a horrible evening to be working.

Genuine love has nothing to do with Hallmark card day. It's about day to day gestures and general thoughtfulness. Leave this crap to teenagers and idiots.

So if I DON'T send you a card, will you still know what I really think of you??

Meow Feb 3rd 2014 6:55 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 11110181)
So if I DON'T send you a card, will you still know what I really think of you??


I can make a guess...

britexpat76 Feb 3rd 2014 7:06 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 
Quite glad my Brother is here this year for it. I am heading into the desert for the day.

Meow Feb 3rd 2014 7:26 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11110206)
Quite glad my Brother is here this year for it. I am heading into the desert for the day.

A romantic day with your brother? Are you from Alabama?

kittycat1 Feb 3rd 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Valentine's Day
 
I still think it's nice:-) couldn't tell you the last time I celebrated it but what's wrong with it?

Beakersful Feb 4th 2014 10:00 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 
And if you forego the paper and cardboard and go straight for gold and diamonds? How many women would then call it idiotic?

Scamp Feb 4th 2014 10:24 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11110231)
A romantic day with your brother? Are you from Alabama?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've got my Sister here this year and it's brunch day / redfest combo.

The mrs gets flowers and nice things all through the year whenever I feel like it. On Valentines day I'll always give her a hand-made card and a bunch of Lillies (sp?). Then she's happy, not because it's a huge expense but just because she knows I've give it forethought and made some effort even though I ****ing hate it.

To be honest, I need a new flower shop, the one in Soukh Al Bahar is ****ing lumpy.

weasel decentral Feb 4th 2014 10:29 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11110135)
declaring your interest by way of an unsigned card

I get a few cards like this every year, I think maybe 4 last year and I am sure only half of them were from men :D

After the earlier bombing shenanigans here I am going to be rather reluctant to open any parcels or letters addressed to me this year.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 6th 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Valentine's Day
 
Picked this gem up today for a valentines card :
There is nobody else I'd rather lie in bed and look at my phone next to!!
:D :D

Brains1983 Feb 7th 2014 5:09 am

Re: Valentine's Day
 
it's our wedding anniversary on the 14th Feb, we normally just leave it a week and head out for a meal to avoid paying a fortune for the same food.

Blue Cat Feb 8th 2014 1:28 pm

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11110135)
I may have posted the same last year, but what a load of overblown, commercialised nonsense. The original concept (declaring your interest by way of an unsigned card) has long been lost in an ocean of heart-shaped crap.

If you really care about someone you can do far better than buying a stuffed bear clutching a heart, a dozen half-dead roses, a vomit-inducing card and going for dinner (with the prices cranked up) in a restaurant full of couples who have nothing to say to each other. Most restaurant staff will tell you it's a horrible evening to be working.

Genuine love has nothing to do with Hallmark card day. It's about day to day gestures and general thoughtfulness. Leave this crap to teenagers and idiots.


I am working, he is playing golf, who said romance was dead :)

Bahtatboy Feb 8th 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Valentine's Day
 

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11117574)
it's our wedding anniversary on the 14th Feb, we normally just leave it a week and head out for a meal to avoid paying a fortune for the same food.

Sharing a table with Mentalist?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.