USS Porter Collision

Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default USS Porter Collision

No idea about the veracity of this...

USS Porter Collision-porter.bmp

Collision between US Navy ship and tanker in Strait of Hormuz

A Japanese-owned bulk oil tanker collided with a US Navy guided missile destroyer just outside the Strait of Hormuz in the Arabian Gulf in the early hours of Sunday, no injuries or leaks have been reported on either vessel.

The impact between the 333-meter VLCC Panamanian-flagged M/V Otowasan and the USS Porter, left a yawning 10 feet by 10 feet hole on the starboard side of the warship according to the US Navy and various media reports.

The navy vessel which is on a scheduled deployment to the US Fifth Fleet in Bahrain is said to be moored in Jebel Ali port in Dubai and a navy spokesman said that an investigation into the incident is being carried out.

The incident follows the killing of an Indian fisherman just 16 kilometres off the coast of Dubai last month, his five other colleagues were injured in the attack from the USNS Rappahannock as their fishing trawler was returning to shore.

Early reports suggest that the pre crash communication went like this:

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

Japanese Tanker reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

Japanese Tanker reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE USS PORTER, WE ARE A U.S. NAVY GUIDED MISSILE DESTROYER. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

Japanese Tanker reply: We are a big fuc*%^ing 300,000 tonne Tanker... Your choice.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:00 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USS Porter Collision

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
No idea about the veracity of this...

Attachment 108220

Collision between US Navy ship and tanker in Strait of Hormuz

A Japanese-owned bulk oil tanker collided with a US Navy guided missile destroyer just outside the Strait of Hormuz in the Arabian Gulf in the early hours of Sunday, no injuries or leaks have been reported on either vessel.

The impact between the 333-meter VLCC Panamanian-flagged M/V Otowasan and the USS Porter, left a yawning 10 feet by 10 feet hole on the starboard side of the warship according to the US Navy and various media reports.

The navy vessel which is on a scheduled deployment to the US Fifth Fleet in Bahrain is said to be moored in Jebel Ali port in Dubai and a navy spokesman said that an investigation into the incident is being carried out.

The incident follows the killing of an Indian fisherman just 16 kilometres off the coast of Dubai last month, his five other colleagues were injured in the attack from the USNS Rappahannock as their fishing trawler was returning to shore.

Early reports suggest that the pre crash communication went like this:

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

Japanese Tanker reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

Japanese Tanker reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE USS PORTER, WE ARE A U.S. NAVY GUIDED MISSILE DESTROYER. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

Japanese Tanker reply: We are a big fuc*%^ing 300,000 tonne Tanker... Your choice.
The collision happened, but the conversation almost certainly didn't. It's an adaption of the old lighthouse joke.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened because the USS refused to divert course, not realising how big the other ship was.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post
The collision happened, but the conversation almost certainly didn't. It's an adaption of the old lighthouse joke.
USS Montana -vs- Irish Lighthouse

Classic!

Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened because the USS refused to divert course, not realising how big the other ship was.
I think it was meant as a joke (the convo), as that convo meme has been around for years.