British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Used Cars - Testing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/used-cars-testing-807227/)

Brains1983 Aug 26th 2013 4:35 pm

Used Cars - Testing

The mighty Fiesta is getting sold shortly and I'm fancying something a bit more fun to drive. I don't know enough about engines and stuff so other than kicking the tyre a couple of times, won't know what's a lemon and what's a bargain.

Is there a service at a garage I could take a car I was thinking about buying so they can check it out? Any recommendations for said garage or an indication of price?

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Chris_m Aug 26th 2013 4:53 pm

Re: Used Cars - Testing

You say you don't know engines and stuff.

1st mate try and identify what car you want then just google the hell out it. To get yourself some kind of indications on issues etc.

Sadly you're in AD so the garage i use is no good to you. I recently was looking at an Audi A5. Until i done some research and realised all 3 timing chains are at the rear of the engine ok they won't need replacing but gaskets etc are a huge headache and if out of warranty you're looking at 5k+ (GBP) charges inclusive of Labour etc.

If you're looking at something a little more fun and reliable a good move from your Fiesta maybe a Golf GTI.. Just an idea but 1st make up your mind and then go from there.

Chris

Brains1983 Aug 26th 2013 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 10870493)
You say you don't know engines and stuff.

1st mate try and identify what car you want then just google the hell out it. To get yourself some kind of indications on issues etc.

Sadly you're in AD so the garage i use is no good to you. I recently was looking at an Audi A5. Until i done some research and realised all 3 timing chains are at the rear of the engine ok they won't need replacing but gaskets etc are a huge headache and if out of warranty you're looking at 5k+ (GBP) charges inclusive of Labour etc.

If you're looking at something a little more fun and reliable a good move from your Fiesta maybe a Golf GTI.. Just an idea but 1st make up your mind and then go from there.

Chris

I'm moving to Dubai shortly and was planning to use some of my EOS to contribute towards it. I've driven the GTI before and quite like it, the Focus RS or an older Mustang are also on it. I guess looking for known issues online before committing makes sense. It's very likely that I'll be looking at 2010 or 2011 model of whatever I end up with as not looking to spend a fortune, so no warranty likely :(

I'd appreciate the details of the garage you use if you don't mind? Rough idea how much they would charge to run their eye over the mechanics?

Chris_m Aug 26th 2013 5:02 pm

Pm Sent

Kix Aug 26th 2013 5:47 pm

Go see Saluki Motorsport in Al Quoz, they're British run and 100% trustworthy. Mark is the boss there.

jam25mack Aug 27th 2013 6:29 am

I second Saluki, however, cheap they aint!

Kix Aug 27th 2013 6:32 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10871391)
I second Saluki, however, cheap they aint!

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. To be honest I would rather the job had been carried out correctly and safely. With vehicles, what price you and your family's safety?

Millhouse Aug 27th 2013 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10871394)
Pay peanuts, get monkeys. To be honest I would rather the job had been carried out correctly and safely. With vehicles, what price you and your family's safety?

Who does the work though? Lowly paid Indians working in 40oC, I bet...

Price and quality are not the same thing, especially in Dubai (I'm not knocking the garage though - never used them).

Kix Aug 27th 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10871398)
Who does the work though? Lowly paid Indians working in 40oC, I bet...

Price and quality are not the same thing, especially in Dubai (I'm not knocking the garage though - never used them).

Not at all, the place is air-conditioned, clean, they prepare Rally Cars (the boss is a regular in the desert challenge), and I trust them.

It's not some dodgy back street lock up - but it is in Al Quoz.

Some pics here

jam25mack Aug 27th 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10871394)

Hey, I'm not having a go, they are my garage of choice after trying pretty much every other 4x4 place in Dubai. I'm just saying they know how to charge......

Kix Aug 27th 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10871406)
Hey, I'm not having a go, they are my garage of choice after trying pretty much every other 4x4 place in Dubai. I'm just saying they know how to charge......

I know mate, it wasn't a pop at you, far from it. Just a statement.

Tockalosh Aug 27th 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10870501)
I'm moving to Dubai shortly and was planning to use some of my EOS to contribute towards it. I've driven the GTI before and quite like it, the Focus RS or an older Mustang are also on it. I guess looking for known issues online before committing makes sense. It's very likely that I'll be looking at 2010 or 2011 model of whatever I end up with as not looking to spend a fortune, so no warranty likely :(

I'd appreciate the details of the garage you use if you don't mind? Rough idea how much they would charge to run their eye over the mechanics?

Current brand new focus RS is 95k. A bit of a bargain.

Ford have a few 2012 model F150's with the 3.7 V6 leftover they are clearing at 100K
Are you sure you want a second hand car with mafi warranty ?

Brains1983 Aug 27th 2013 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10872428)
Current brand new focus RS is 95k. A bit of a bargain.

Ford have a few 2012 model F150's with the 3.7 V6 leftover they are clearing at 100K
Are you sure you want a second hand car with mafi warranty ?

2012 F150 - new? Surely the 3.7V6 would be massively underpowered? Didn't really want to go past 75k since this will be a cash buy instead of a credit which I'm rather proud of, but that may be tempting...

Tockalosh Aug 28th 2013 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10872532)
2012 F150 - new? Surely the 3.7V6 would be massively underpowered? Didn't really want to go past 75k since this will be a cash buy instead of a credit which I'm rather proud of, but that may be tempting...

Yes guaranteed, PM me and I will give you the name of the salesman and his tel number as if you go in cold then you start at list and waste hours.

The 3.7 kicks out 290 BHP so is by no means sluggish. Also comes with the X front grill which won't mean anything now but will when you walk in to the showroom on SZR by times square. My mate has a 3.7 and loves it. Being fat and old I needed more horses to haul the gut about. Power per ton etc

choice is limited but the bronze looks good in the flesh

Millhouse Aug 28th 2013 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10873322)
Yes guaranteed, PM me and I will give you the name of the salesman and his tel number as if you go in cold then you start at list and waste hours.

The 3.7 kicks out 290 BHP so is by no means sluggish. Also comes with the X front grill which won't mean anything now but will when you walk in to the showroom on SZR by times square. My mate has a 3.7 and loves it. Being fat and old I needed more horses to haul the gut about. Power per ton etc

choice is limited but the bronze looks good in the flesh

The X front grill is great. Bronze also good. Very sensible motor in my opinion.