British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   USD150 million (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/usd150-million-584422/)

lionheart Jan 15th 2009 4:45 am

USD150 million

Does anybody agree with me that USD150m (my laptop doesn't do pound sterling) is simply far too much to pay for any footballer, especially during the current credit crisis. For those not aware, Man City's Arab owners have offered this much for a 26yo Brazilian playing for AC Milan. Indeed, a similar sum is reportedly on the table for Italy's national goalkeeper too. Kaka would receive USD1.0m per week if he was to accept City's terms. So what happens when he gets injured in training? The insurance premium would be astronomical. What about the effect on team morale? It's madness...but I would be happy to see Kaka come to Eastlands in the summer for a more reasonable sum.

NorthernLad Jan 15th 2009 4:57 am

Re: USD150 million

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7170261)
Does anybody agree with me that USD150m (my laptop doesn't do pound sterling) is simply far too much to pay for any footballer, especially during the current credit crisis. For those not aware, Man City's Arab owners have offered this much for a 26yo Brazilian playing for AC Milan. Indeed, a similar sum is reportedly on the table for Italy's national goalkeeper too. Kaka would receive USD1.0m per week if he was to accept City's terms. So what happens when he gets injured in training? The insurance premium would be astronomical. What about the effect on team morale? It's madness...but I would be happy to see Kaka come to Eastlands in the summer for a more reasonable sum.

It is immoral. No sportsman is worth that.

Blue Cat Jan 15th 2009 5:52 am

absolutely ridiculous!! football is drama these days if you ask me :(

Spugsy Jan 15th 2009 8:51 am

he'll have to be the most amazing player every single week for his whole career to be even worth half of that, it's pretty disgraceful really, in fact it's just unreal.

Grace O Malley Jan 15th 2009 9:06 am

ridiculous, they end up turning into pretentious little farts and marry even more pretentious attention seeking women, who becomes famous, for doing what exactly

Confucius Jan 15th 2009 9:08 am

Refined human trafficking...

Spugsy Jan 15th 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7170806)
ridiculous, they end up turning into pretentious little farts and marry even more pretentious attention seeking women, who becomes famous, for doing what exactly

to be fair, he's a very strict christian who is already married, to his childhood sweetheart and they both stayed virgins before they got married, he also has his own church in Brazil and is going to be a preacher (or whatever) when he retires,

this, funnily enough rises his stock as they know he's very respectable and won't give them any trouble.

Saying that, if he signed for us I reckon he'd be out fighting and shagging down the bigg market in a week :)

Blue Cat Jan 15th 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7170820)
to be fair, he's a very strict christian who is already married, to his childhood sweetheart and they both stayed virgins before they got married, he also has his own church in Brazil and is going to be a preacher (or whatever) when he retires,

this, funnily enough rises his stock as they know he's very respectable and won't give them any trouble.

Saying that, if he signed for us I reckon he'd be out fighting and shagging down the bigg market in a week :)

and if he weren't we should get rid of him :rofl:

Grace O Malley Jan 15th 2009 9:56 am

[QUOTE=Spugsy;7170820]to be fair, he's a very strict christian who is already married, to his childhood sweetheart and they both stayed virgins before they got married, he also has his own church in Brazil and is going to be a preacher (or whatever) when he retires,

Preachers they are the worst, like priests and nuns, sorry Spugsy, just my opinion

A lot of these footballers start out nice and end up conceited twats and marry the same

Charismatic Jan 15th 2009 10:08 am

Is he worth it? Well if he is very tallented at kicking a ball...:)

He'll probably spend all his money on Bentley Continentals, Range Rovers, Coke & Booze and an ugly house so it gets re-cycled.

Spugsy Jan 15th 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7171026)
Is he worth it? Well if he is very tallented at kicking a ball...:)

He'll probably spend all his money on Bentley Continentals, Range Rovers, Coke & Booze and an ugly house so it gets re-cycled.

that's what I would do :)

benzonar Jan 15th 2009 2:59 pm

Good article in The Independent today about this

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...t-1366477.html

I honestly think City's money could be much better spent elsewhere. Kaka's strike partner Alexandre Pato would be a better investment, and possibly buy Benzema or Aguero as well.

Grace O Malley Jan 15th 2009 3:35 pm

He deserves it for that name.....Kaka, thats what most kids call their poo

The Dean Jan 16th 2009 3:37 am

Yes, I do agree - not because of the sum involved per se, but for a simpler reason...........

............. he's completely overrated. Very inconsistent, too easily marked out of the game, and with nothing like the pace you'd expect.

It is reckoned that Steve Gerrard would cost GBP 50m (if he were available for sale). Kaka twice as good? Er, no, actually.............

And does anyone actually know what is 'best' position is?

No, he neither.............