US School shooting

Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US School shooting

I take your point Trixie...but what people are saying is that the debate has NOT been had in the US about gun control. How many more massacres will it take before politicians, law makers etc get their heads out of their arse's and change the law?

Politicians dare not challenge the NRA for fear of losing elections and that is a scary situation when a body that endorses deadly weapons has so much influence. Something needs to be done and done NOW before this happens again...sadly i think nothing will be done
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:34 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash786
I take your point Trixie...but what people are saying is that the debate has NOT been had in the US about gun control. How many more massacres will it take before politicians, law makers etc get their heads out of their arse's and change the law?

Politicians dare not challenge the NRA for fear of losing elections and that is a scary situation when a body that endorses deadly weapons has so much influence. Something needs to be done and done NOW before this happens again...sadly i think nothing will be done
Your'e wrong. The debate has been done many times, just not with the results you desire.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:41 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Interesting poster as Switzerland is number 4 in the world in terms of gun ownership per head of population. Maybe they just have less batshit crazy people.
Is that not because everyone in Switzerland is an Army reservist?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:53 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Your'e wrong. The debate has been done many times, just not with the results you desire.
yup - wot he said
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:02 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...s-of-guns.html
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
yup - wot he said
Has it? I'd be really interested to read them. Can you post a link?

Though I see from the NewYorker that they appear to be light on reality.

Last edited by al dente; Dec 15th 2012 at 8:12 am. Reason: posted too soon
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:19 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente

1975 saw the creation of the NRA - the politically lobbyist for the protection of the 2nd amendment rights.

http://www.nrahq.org/history.asp

Debates and political maneuvering happen everyday, but not necessarily in the public eye.
They wouldn't need a specific lobbying arm if this wasn't a hot political topic.

I'm not saying that it isn't a reason to strive for change, but America would split in 2 before some people gave up their rights to gun ownership. I look forward to avoiding the united states of texas

Last edited by Trixie_b; Dec 15th 2012 at 8:21 am.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:20 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Google wikipedia "Gun politics in the U.S." for a "brief" overview of the ongoing debate. I have spent 54 years here and the debate is never ending. As I said before it is still a debate, like the results or not.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

I was told by an American colleague that the National Rifle Association, NRA, are amongst the biggest donors for the various political parties.

However, the comparisons between the number of deaths in the countries needs to be in proportion to the population, for the USA, popn of around 300 million or so...

Either way, this will be forgoten in a couple of weeks max with 30 lives shattered to pick up the pieces and until another story takes over.

I wish that the number of weddings, schools, farmers blown to bits by Uncle Sam received similar attention in order for policies to be changed but I doubt it. That's just collateral damage...

Surely ALL schools need armed guards now, rural or inner city.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:26 am
Are we there yet?

It's all political and biased. Go and check out fox news and see if you can find ANYTHING to do with gun control on their pages. read their news coverage of this horrible tragedy and gun control isn't even mentioned.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mathematist
I was told by an American colleague that the National Rifle Association, NRA, are amongst the biggest donors for the various political parties.

However, the comparisons between the number of deaths in the countries needs to be in proportion to the population, for the USA, popn of around 300 million or so...

Either way, this will be forgoten in a couple of weeks max with 30 lives shattered to pick up the pieces and until another story takes over.

I wish that the number of weddings, schools, farmers blown to bits by Uncle Sam received similar attention in order for policies to be changed but I doubt it.

Surely ALL schools need armed guards now, rural or inner city.
I am done with this subject which has complicated answers and questions that have no easy answers. All schools need armed guards? Do you have any idea of the number of public schools in the US? What about private schools? Malls, subway stations etc...
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Equestra
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps4060760d.jpgSays it all really. FFS America get a grip eh!?!
Roughly 30 shot dead every day. Really? I honestly find this statistic hard to believe. Any idea of the number in South Africa? My initial thought on gun control in the USA is that it will never happen. Better to have either an armed guard present at all schools or a gun available (in a suitably locked cupboard) for emergency use by a person trained to use it. If the PE teacher (for example) had been able to get hold of a gun, the crazed intruder might have been shot dead before killing more than a few individuals. Just my thoughts as I know perfectly well that the US population will never vote for gun control. They regard such incidents as a calculated risk.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 1:11 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I have been sad since I heard this news last night! I think last time I lost so much faith in humanity in one go was when Beslan happened! The Repubs in the states think they are working for their country but to the outside observer its plain obvious that every thing they stand for is just plain wrong.

Shooting a roomful of kids..what can one say..words fail me..its not just guns, though gun control would definitely help...its the breakdown of community, the whole glorification of individualism and violence and the culture of not caring about other people
Old Dec 15th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Interesting poster as Switzerland is number 4 in the world in terms of gun ownership per head of population. Maybe they just have less batshit crazy people.
The Swiss don't have the amount of gang violence the US has, but thats only 1 difference; population size, poverty, historically disadvantaged communities, lack of medical care, very very diverse society, gap between rich and poor, general quality of live etc..
Old Dec 15th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I am done with this subject which has complicated answers and questions that have no easy answers. All schools need armed guards? Do you have any idea of the number of public schools in the US? What about private schools? Malls, subway stations etc...
Armed guards is asking for trouble as there will be enough cases of armed guards who let the power get to their head resulting in an innocent kid being dead or seriously injured. Couple this with suspicion and antagonistic relationship between the Police and Black & Hispanic communities, and you are asking for profiling abuse and trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.