British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   US Health care..................Again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/us-health-care-again-792863/)

britexpat76 Apr 4th 2013 9:17 am

US Health care..................Again

This has been done to death now but I don't think anyone mentioned the Michael Moore documentary.

Just as I was about to go to bed last night this came on and I ended up going to bed way past my bedtime but it is worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386032/

Meow Apr 4th 2013 9:23 am

Re: US Health care..................Again

I saw that when it came out and whilst it makes some very good points, you have to bear in mind Moore's a film maker and likes to sensationalise some parts. There is validity is all his work, but bias too. At least the US system allows such criticism though...

This thread will probably end up just the same way as all the others on the topic, but how anyone can ever think that healthcare that is free at point of need is ever worse than any system where entitllemt is based on what you can afford is a mystery to me.

shiva Apr 4th 2013 9:25 am

america, the country where universal healthcare is a dirty communist plot and the poor and sick should just die on the streets as free men and women

britexpat76 Apr 4th 2013 9:26 am

I love the way Michael Moore portrays the 'average' american. Baggy ill fitting clothes, baseball cap and asking the obvious questions. Always a good watch

Beaverstate Apr 4th 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10639763)
america, the country where universal healthcare is a dirty communist plot and the poor and sick should just die on the streets as free men and women

All Americans will die premature deaths and bankrupt. End of thread, goodnight.

Scamp Apr 4th 2013 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10639768)
All Americans will die premature deaths and bankrupt. End of thread, goodnight.

You haven't mentioned Hitler yet. Thread can't be over.

Theseus Apr 4th 2013 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10639769)

But now you have! :eek:

I agree with Meow, the american system is ridiculous. Even if you do have insurance you're not guaranteed decent care because the HMOs will try anything to not pay out. So living in constant fear of becoming seriously ill and not being treated. Not to mention the stress of having to deal with the companies whilke also dealing with being ill or having an ill loved one.

Its actually Dickensian

Boomhauer Apr 4th 2013 11:11 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10639763)

The Republicans for all their outward professment of Christianity do love Social Darwinism.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10639769)

Di Canio :rofl:

shiva Apr 4th 2013 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10639947)
The Republicans for all their outward professment of Christianity do love Social Darwinism.

Di Canio :rofl:

Don't get me started on the republican interpretation of Christianity. Christ can you imagine how Fox News would portray Jesus today.

An illegitimate Palestinian terrorist with communist ideals who tried to overthrow the money lenders. Actually now I come to think about it it would be hilarious to see modern republican descriptions of Jesus and his cult of followers

Theseus Apr 4th 2013 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10640119)
Don't get me started on the republican
An illegitimate Palestinian terrorist with communist ideals who tried to overthrow the money lenders. Actually now I come to think about it it would be hilarious to see modern republican descriptions of Jesus and his cult of followers

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5252/5...aba6d690_z.jpg

Irishbeekeeper Apr 4th 2013 3:35 pm

"HMOs are the rot of the US health care system which are eating it from within and the sad fact is now we can NEVER get rid of them" - verbatim from a US Doctor friend with a practice in the states for the past 15 years.

Bob Apr 4th 2013 4:55 pm

HMO's aren't necessarily a bad thing, there are some very good ones.

The problem comes from having the policy tied to the employer. It limits freedom of movement and the ability to be a self starter, because setting up on your own means generally losing out on a group plan and then that same HMO cover can be a waste of paper.

Definitely a messed up system.

Scamp Apr 4th 2013 7:03 pm

I believe in Scamp. He can fix the healthcare shit easy. 10-point plan;

1. Do you deserve to get better?
2. Are you worthwhile in society?
3. Are you an idiot?
4. Are you ever selfless?
5. Do you have a family that would miss you?
5. We're you born on a day ending with 'y'?
7. Is there a vowel in your name?
8. Are you able to speak?
9. Can you count to 10?
10. Did you notice there was no no.6?

If you get no.10 and at least three others correct, you get treated.

Sally Redux Apr 4th 2013 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10640390)
"HMOs are the rot of the US health care system which are eating it from within and the sad fact is now we can NEVER get rid of them" - verbatim from a US Doctor friend with a practice in the states for the past 15 years.

It's more the insurance companies and crooked pricing system than the HMOs.