British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   US has banned cabin laptops from all flights from UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/us-has-banned-cabin-laptops-all-flights-uae-894175/)

Millhouse Mar 22nd 2017 11:30 am

Re: US has banned cabin laptops from all flights from UAE

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12210237)
I was in a foul mood yesterday if it makes you feel any better.

Anything you want to talk about?

ran out of Airfix cement.

Miss Ann Thrope Mar 22nd 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12210198)
You have a proven history of patronising and misplaced political correctness and seeing racism in everything that's being said on here. So it's natural for me to look at all questions you pose from that angle and assume you're jumping into the thread solely to cry racism/imperialism/whatever. Because that's what you do most of the time.

A person with no such background history would have drawn a different interpretation of the question posed.

I'm loath to bother replying to your adolescent name-calling but anyway, one more time: I have exactly TWICE called out instances of racist speech, quite gently in each case, since I restarted posting a few weeks ago. Each instance resulted in a hysterical reaction from a few posters which I strongly countered with reason even as irrelevant polemic was being wildly slung about. Each instance resulted in a far more considered response from the original poster that I challenged, and we managed to have a constructive civilised dialogue about it regardless of the extraneous carry-on.

I've posted about James Bond movies, driving licences, Salik, any number of other things. I hold a plethora of views, sometimes unconventional but often incredibly boring middle-of-the-road, on a variety of subjects. Sometimes, perhaps, they may be inconsistent though I really do try to base my positions on a rigorous analysis of the evidence rather than starting from any ideological position. You seem frantic to label me and put me in a box and characterise my views as "that sort of person". You do this without being at all funny, which might make it forgiveable. I used to respect your contributions even where I didn't agree with them but I am sick to the teeth of your bullying efforts to personalise everything.

Boomhauer Mar 22nd 2017 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12210039)
Flying is a choice. Not a right.

Therein lies the difference.

You don't like the rules meant for safety? Don't fly.

Problem sorted.

Exactly :thumbup:

Boomhauer Mar 22nd 2017 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12210240)

Just bought myself some Tamiya extra thin liquid cement. Conforms to ASTM D-4236 (whew now I feel assured:lol:) About to build an old skool Chevy pickup.

Bahtatboy Mar 23rd 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12210240)

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12210709)
Just bought myself some Tamiya extra thin liquid cement. Conforms to ASTM D-4236 (whew now I feel assured:lol:) About to build an old skool Chevy pickup.

I really enjoyed building them, but the painting always let things down. What's the solution -- do they come ready-painted now, and you just apply decals?

weasel decentral Mar 23rd 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12210708)
Exactly :thumbup:

Choosing to fly is a choice, but making a choice doesn't mean that you suspend or sign away any statutory rights, whatever the justification.

DXBtoDOH Mar 23rd 2017 8:29 am

Having a laptop with you in the cabin is a statutory right?

Got it.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12210967)
Choosing to fly is a choice, but making a choice doesn't mean that you suspend or sign away any statutory rights, whatever the justification.

IKnowNothing Mar 23rd 2017 8:34 am

This will help the American Airlines, The Europeans and the Sub Continents that fly to the USA via Europe not ME.

Hopefully it'll mean prices will drop substantially, but for some reason I'm not holding my breath.

weasel decentral Mar 23rd 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12210970)
Having a laptop with you in the cabin is a statutory right?

Got it.

I was referring to the principle rather than this specific laptop item, that you can't sign away statutory rights even if you are making a choice ...picking up on the retina scan/ private data idea mentioned earlier.

Rules made for safety don't override these rights.

DXBtoDOH Mar 23rd 2017 9:01 am

Society will always be divided between those who are bothered by security laws and value their rights to privacy (whatever that may be) and those who aren't. Complicating it is that each person has a different tolerance for privacy versus public safety.

It's a timeless issue that manifests itself in multiple guises - the well being of a society versus the well being of the individual.

When it comes to situations that involve high risks, such as airline transportation, I defer to the collective safety of society over the individual's own comforts. One can argue that if you don't have the safety to enjoy your statutory rights, then what is the purpose of statutory rights in the first place?

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12210974)
I was referring to the principle rather than this specific laptop item, that you can't sign away statutory rights even if you are making a choice ...picking up on the retina scan/ private data idea mentioned earlier.

Rules made for safety don't override these rights.

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2017 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12210959)
I really enjoyed building them, but the painting always let things down. What's the solution -- do they come ready-painted now, and you just apply decals?

Yeh. No one likes painting. I used to just spray them Matt black or gold.

Bahtatboy Mar 23rd 2017 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12210990)
Yeh. No one likes painting. I used to just spray them Matt black or gold.

Very gangsta. :thumbup:

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12211021)
Very gangsta. :thumbup:

the black ones are pretty cool. :lol:

Bahtatboy Mar 23rd 2017 1:29 pm

Have they banned Airfix cement on planes, too?

Boomhauer Mar 24th 2017 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12210959)

Never been satisfactory at painting. I recall way back in the early 90s, I got the largest WW2 battleship model Tamiya made , from Beatties ; being impatient I built it then tried to paint on the camo paint scheme.

You kinda need an airbrush to do it right, or 2nd choice is model spray paint cans ; I got the later.

If you wanna feel inadequate then check out below forum. These guys are the cream of the crop in realistic weathering/painting.
Westlake Publishing Forums - Index

And for something truly mental, check out this British group modelling the Wehrmacht ..in 1:6 scale!
Von Abt Gallery